Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Davis vs. Hastings  (Read 9032 times)

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Re: Davis vs. Hastings
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 05:32:37 AM »
I haven't been to Davis, but Hastings has pretty nice classrooms and buildings.
Yeah, it's in a bad neighborhood, but it's also in San Francisco, which I personally prefer over a place like Davis. I'm more of a city person than a country person - a lot of it depends on your personal taste.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Lowell MVP

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 12:49:10 AM »
I wonder if the smaller size of Davis means smaller first-year classes and more contact with profesors.  Any ideas?  I don't have the stats on hand but I believe the average section size at Hastings is much larger.
Beckett: BC, Northeastern, American, UC Hastings
Daisuke: GW
Foulke: Georgetown, Stanford, Berkeley, NYU
Bucholz: BU, Northwestern, UT, UW, UC Davis

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 01:10:32 AM »
I wonder if the smaller size of Davis means smaller first-year classes and more contact with profesors.  Any ideas?  I don't have the stats on hand but I believe the average section size at Hastings is much larger.
Hastings has a 1L class of about 400, divided into five sections.  With the exception of Legal Writing and Moot Court, you classes will have about 80 students in them.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

OCgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 02:13:26 PM »
Davis has a class size of just under 200. We are broken up into 3 sections of approximately 70 students each, so I guess in the end our section sizes are  similar. Our building is not the best- we do sport a super chic 70's high school motif, but we are in the process of getting a makeover. For info about the new building you can check out the UCD law school website (www.law.ucdavis.edu) under About the School --> Our New Building.

Also, I have to say that it really comes down to preference, and I think it's more than simply being a city person or not. I consider myself a city person and I love San Fran. But part of the attraction of Davis (at least for me) is that it's not in the city and doesn't contain the distractions of the city. If I was in the city I would have to muster up the self-discipline to not go out every night, and while I know I could have done it I think it's just all around easer to not have the temptation. Davis is only about an hour away from San Fran and about 20 minutes away from Sac, so getting out when you do have free time is always an option, but during the week I stay local and go out with friends from school or just focus on my work.

Another perk that I like about Davis is that we are affiliated with the undergrad campus, and we get a lot of benefits from it. We have a really great gym that the law students go to all the time. There are lectures and activities on the undergrad campus and at the Mondovi center that deal with issues that many law students are interested in. There are also several opportunities for on-campus jobs for 2Ls and 3Ls.
King Hall 2010

jdhu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 03:57:28 PM »
I went to UCD for undergrad.  It is not the most exciting place, but the "cow-town" reputation is undeserved in my opinion.  There are some decent bars, a lot of undergrads (which keep the town interesting), and as someone else mentioned, a lot of renovations as of late(the planned law school, the gym/rec center, Mondavi center).

Sac is close by, SF not far, and depending on your interests, there are a lot of clubs and organizations, both private and campus-based.  I am a 1L at George Mason, looking to transfer back to CA (CA really is the best, it took me going away to realize), and so I always find these Davis v. Hastings threads interesting.

I'm leaning towards Hastings, but you can do worse than Davis for fun/quality of life.

Lowell MVP

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 01:22:23 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  When I wrote that Hastings has a larger section size, I got mixed up - I was actually thinking of the student-faculty ratio, which I have as being 21:1, as opposed to Davis's 13.5:1.  I was just wondering if that bore out in terms of professor accessibility.
I also imagine that Davis would be a little more tightly-knit, being in a smaller town.  Overall I have the impression of Hastings as more competitive (between students) and corporate, and Davis more collegial and public interest-focused.  Is there any truth to those generalizations?
Beckett: BC, Northeastern, American, UC Hastings
Daisuke: GW
Foulke: Georgetown, Stanford, Berkeley, NYU
Bucholz: BU, Northwestern, UT, UW, UC Davis

credo

• Sr. Citizen
  • This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  When I wrote that Hastings has a larger section size, I got mixed up - I was actually thinking of the student-faculty ratio, which I have as being 21:1, as opposed to Davis's 13.5:1.  I was just wondering if that bore out in terms of professor accessibility.
I also imagine that Davis would be a little more tightly-knit, being in a smaller town.  Overall I have the impression of Hastings as more competitive (between students) and corporate, and Davis more collegial and public interest-focused.  Is there any truth to those generalizations?

There are more public interest opportunities at Hastings from the individual/group representation clinics to the GAAP program helping people right here in the tenderloin.  Part time internships/clerkships with outside public interest/and government groups here in SF are easy to come by also (it helps that so many are based within blocks of Hastings).  Hastings even offers a Public Interest Concentration if you are interested.

As for being "tight-knit" I don't what the social dynamics are like at Davis.  I do know they have a curve so when it comes down to finals you get the high grade by out-doing your classmates the same as most every law school.

obamavshilary

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 11:35:16 PM »
Hastings over Davis. Hastings has better biglaw placement, a better location if you want public interest and government because SF is the location of the CA supreme court i think and theres plenty of hippie organizations there for you to do PI. Make the right choice.

OCgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 04:05:38 AM »

At Davis all of our professors are pretty accessible. All hold regular office hours. Students do go to office hours so you may not be able to talk to your professor right when you show up, but you will be able to talk to them during that office hours session. I don't know how other schools do it, but we also have TAs for all of our 1L classes- normally 2 for our classes of approx. 70 students and 1 for our smaller classes of approx. 35. The TAs also hold regular office hours and hold review sessions.

You are right in thinking that we are a tight-knit community. We all know each other and spend time outside of class together. The affects of the small town are apparent, but for the most part that's a good thing. You get to feel really comfortable in class because you know everyone and for the most part consider everyone friends.

In general we are a casual group, but we don't deviate too much from the standard practices of all law schools. We are on a forced curve, our professors do use the socratic method, and our 1L grades are pretty much 100% final.

I give it to Hastings on the big law placement - hands down they have better placement in large firms. But I have to disagree about the PI and government jobs. We have plenty of both here in Sacramento and we get leads on bay area jobs. As for where you want to be, I'm not even going to try to talk up Sacramento when it's compared to S.F.- there's not point. But I will say that many of our students come from the bay area and have intentions on returning during their summers and after graduation. I personally know several 1Ls that will be working in the bay area over the summer. In general I think that a bay area job is more likely if you go to Hastings than if you go to Davis, but you aren't knocking yourself out of the running for a bay area job by going to Davis. That is of course assuming you want to work in the bay. If you want to work somewhere outside of S.F. or Sac. I'm not sure how the two schools compare in placement.

The California Supreme Court is in S.F., but Sacramento is still the capitol of California and has plenty of courts to fill your interest. I'm not going to be working a court job this summer, but from what I hear the separation is more over federal v. state rather than state supreme v. appellate/district, so the fact that the CA Supreme Court is in S.F. may or may not be of interest to you. (both S.F. and Sacramento have federal courts.) It's also worth noting that not everyone works for a judge. So again, all of this may or may not be important to your decision. It's really about your personal interest.

As for PI jobs, S.F. is a huge city that has always been very liberal. So yes, there are a ton of PI jobs out there. But the politicians are in Sacramento during the week, so the bulk of PI lobbying is done here in Sacramento and all of the large PI groups have a presence here in Sac. Davis also has a PI concentration, as well as a human rights and social justice concentration.

We have four clinicals here at Davis focusing on  civil rights, immigration, prison, and a family rights. So, just like Hastings, there are opportunities to do PI work and gain great experience while in school. The clinics between the two schools focus on different areas and serve different populations, so again, I think what is going to appeal to you is going to be based primarily on personal interest.
King Hall 2010

credo

• Sr. Citizen
  • This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 06:19:10 PM »
I should mention Hastings will be changing its grading curve and the Dean has expressed intentions to trim the class size which ought to vault it past UC Davis in the US News Ranking within the next year or two.

As far as courts San Francisco has the US 9th Circuit Court of Appeal, Cal Supreme Court, California Appeals 1st District, and the US District Court for the Northern District of CA.  Bear in mind there are TWO Hastings Alums on the California Supreme Court and ZERO Davis Alumni.  Hastings is much better represented throughout the California judiciary.

Sacramento has the US District Court for the Eastern District of California and the California Appeals 3rd District.

If you are interested in State Legislative work Hastings also has a Legislative Clinic where you actually work in the California State Legislature in Sacramento for a Semester.  Davis despite its proximity does NOT have this program and Davis students are admitted only after Hastings students have an opportunity to enroll: http://www.uchastings.edu/?pid=1514