Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Davis vs. Hastings  (Read 9039 times)

traffic777

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Davis vs. Hastings
« on: January 29, 2008, 09:44:28 AM »
They share the same spot in the rankings, but which one is generally considered better?
3.95/162
137(c), 147(d1)...5months later... low 160s
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=traffic777

RockShox007

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Davis vs. Hastings
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 12:21:23 PM »
My guess is Hastings.... historically Hastings has been higher ranked than Davis.  From what I understand the highest number of lawyers practicing in San Fransisco (all lawyers, not just biglaw) come from Boalt and Hastings.

Man Crush

• Sr. Citizen
  • I ♥ DWill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 05:56:15 PM »
I've had similar thoughts over the past few months as I was applying.  I'm sure someone will post how Hastings was high until they didn't report their statistics one year and have never recovered but that doesn't make much sense to me since wouldn't that be rectified the next year?  Also I've read lots of posts on different message boards which seem to believe since Hastings was higher 10+ years ago it is still considered better. I don't understand the ranking equation that well though so if someone could expound on why Hastings is underrated and who they should be placed higher than, that would be nice.

In any case, the reputation rankings among lawyers are about the same with Hastings slightly higher (3.7 vs 3.6) and academically the reputation of Davis is higher (3.4 vs. 3.3).
http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leiter/2006/03/_academic_reput.html
As for the larger alumni network in the Bay area and throughout California this could be a definite advantage to Hastings since it has a class size over two times larger than Davis (400+ vs. 180+). Thus it's not difficult to understand why there are more Hastings grads in CA than Davis.

It seems like overall both schools are very comparable in academic quality and reputation although it seems Hastings gets more respect from the message board crowd because it seems to have a higher number of BigLaw placements.  I've also heard it argued that some of that is related to self-selection on behalf of the Davis students and that a lot look for PI work etc. after graduation even though BigLaw was an option.

I enjoy San Francisco but I'm not sure I want to pay the high cost of living and attend a school without a campus.  The traditional campus feel really appeals to me.  I decided to apply to Davis and not Hastings because I never saw myself attending Hastings over Davis.  Plus the smaller-town feel of Davis really seems nice.  Plus, from talking to Davis students they love it there and tout it's laid back atmosphere which I would love.  Although I don't have any legitimate stories, it seems Hastings has a reputation of a lower morale/more cutthroat atmosphere among students at Hastings compared to other law schools.

Hastings seems like a great school with great diversity but the overall feel of Davis seems a better fit for me.  I think it comes down to personal feel.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um... Easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
-------------------

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 06:21:23 PM »
It's all about what type of school you want - smaller classes, more rural college town, or larger classes in a large city.

Where are you going to be comfortable?

Obviously Hastings had the advantages of being in the Bay Area, and it has better placement because of it. Davis will place there, but tends to place in Sac. or elsewhere.

Hastings has a more professional, business feel to it, and offers a great many clinics, externships, and some great professors. Davis seems to emphasize public interest, environmental law, and human rights stuff, though you'll find no shortage of that stuff at Hastings. Hastings also has a larger course selection, and allows you to take courses from other schools in the area.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the competitive/laid back dynamic between the schools, but I would say that Davis has smaller (and more intimate) student body. It's supposed to be extremely friendly.

Both offer excellent LRAP programs. Hastings has the larger network and more reputable name.

I'd visit. It's the only way you'll know.
Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

Phineas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 11:45:21 AM »
They share the same spot in the rankings, but which one is generally considered better?

Oooo.  Hard call.  From both you will have equal opportunities to get out and make $70,000 and live a wonderful life below the California poverty line.

kaboodle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 02:54:31 AM »

Oooo.  Hard call.  From both you will have equal opportunities to get out and make $70,000 and live a wonderful life below the California poverty line.

Wow, you're such an ass...

credo

• Sr. Citizen
  • This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 03:58:14 AM »

No need to pout about your rejections we knew you sucked even before.

tashakies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 02:36:32 PM »
What is the job market in Sacramento like? I know San Fran has a huge legal market but unfortunately am waitlisted at Hastings. Im crossing my fingers for Davis!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 02:39:09 PM »
There have been several threads comparing the two if you want to look them up.

nhutchin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 03:25:38 AM »
Being from CA I get the general impression that most people view Hastings more favorably.  On a side note I would suggest you go and check out the two schools to compare because when I went to visit Davis I really did not like the law school facilities.  The buildig was dark and the whole thing felt like it was in a basement.  Plus the library had all thse small rickety metal staircases and considering how much time you will be spending in the library I think the library conditions are something to consider.  So I would check out the schools first because I know the Davis law school building does not appeal to everyone.  I didn't go to visit Hastings so I can't really comment on their facilities.