Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which schools have rude admissions staff/financial aid staff...  (Read 10950 times)

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago

TJCCARDCO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Which schools have rude admissions staff/financial aid staff...
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2008, 12:55:45 PM »
gotcha..i brought this up to a few of my friends last night, some of whom are of different races (but it doesnt matter). A few agreed with you guys, so im just going to leave this alone..obviously this is a sensitive subject and I wasnt trying to turn it into a war of who's right and who's wrong.

--end

minarets

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2008, 11:04:51 PM »
There was no reason at all to mention race in the OP.  All this bull about wanting the adcomm to be able to identify this woman doesn't make any sense, because if that is what the OP really wanted, then he would have written to the admissions office, or he would have called them, or gone through any of the normal channels of filing a complaint.

Whether the OP is or is not a racist isn't really at issue here. Likewise the issue isn't whether it's PC to identify someone as black. The issue is that it's obvious the OP would not have mentioned race if the woman was white. Whatever your actual reasoning was behind it, OP, it wasn't appropriate and you shouldn't be surprised that you came off as a racist.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2008, 11:38:42 PM »
There was no reason at all to mention race in the OP.  All this bull about wanting the adcomm to be able to identify this woman doesn't make any sense, because if that is what the OP really wanted, then he would have written to the admissions office, or he would have called them, or gone through any of the normal channels of filing a complaint.

Whether the OP is or is not a racist isn't really at issue here. Likewise the issue isn't whether it's PC to identify someone as black. The issue is that it's obvious the OP would not have mentioned race if the woman was white. Whatever your actual reasoning was behind it, OP, it wasn't appropriate and you shouldn't be surprised that you came off as a racist.

And, OP, don't take this as license to come back here and be all grouchy over people continuing to harp on you. It's the nature of the beast. You don't like it, don't post. Or at least redact.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

studymaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2008, 01:54:42 AM »

Okay twinkles, don't be soo hasty. His reason for wanting to identify that person is perfectly valid, ti is infact what I would do if I were warnign people about a bad adcomm. I would say whatI coudl to identify them, for example I would say if they were a man or a woman, now I didnt ask them a shrot survey on their gender identification, i listened to their voice. The fact that people take such great offense to him callign her black, but not to him calling her a woman shows exactly how silly you all are. You contest that label but not another, another that someone could use to discirimate, another that coudl indicate prejudice. The fact is the other label to me lends credence to the idea that OP was simply trying to help identify this person, this impolite inconsiderate person. If the person had a very high pitched voice or a jaunty english accent, would you have jumped down his throat when he mentioned that?

As to arguments you cannot tell a persons race by their voice with reasonable accuracy... get real.
It is whispered that soon, if we all heed the call, the piper will lead us to reason.

Live Free or Die

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2008, 02:10:50 AM »
You people should all find something better to do with your time. This is seriously the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard.

studymaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2008, 02:16:21 AM »
You people should all find something better to do with your time. This is seriously the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard.
We sghould find somethign better do with our time.. and yet you read it.... interesting  :P ::) :P ::)
It is whispered that soon, if we all heed the call, the piper will lead us to reason.

Live Free or Die

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2008, 05:30:19 PM »
Looks like studymaster should work on his typing.

You're trying to trick me into arguing with you so you can get a rise out of me. Sorry, but it's not going to work.  ;)

wkjr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2008, 06:10:55 PM »
i had opened this thread in the hopes of finding some occasionally helpful information and some good juicy admissions gossip - imagine my (lack of) surprise to find pages and pages of shrill, pointless posturing - nicely done, lsd!