Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which schools have rude admissions staff/financial aid staff...  (Read 10973 times)

TJCCARDCO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Which schools have rude admissions staff/financial aid staff...
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2008, 08:30:18 PM »
Ok, so let's hear the bad experiences...(also if you want to share some of the good ones too you can)

For me, I talked to some black lady on the phone at the University of Texas today in the financial aid department...one of the rudest people I have EVER talked to in a "professional" environment. I was simply asking for some very general information about their scholarships, and she interrupted me several times and was very belittling in what she said...I never gave her my name so I almost told her off, but then decided that it wasn't worth it...but now I'm definitely leaning away from Texas and towards either Vandy or a lower T14 after that experience...honestly, she was rude enough, that if I could get her fired I would try.

So what are some of the other bad schools out there?

For a good one, Cornell has some very nice people working there...so far they have been the best I've experience so far.

How do you know she's black?  And why is her race in any way relevant?

It is relevant...but not because she is black/white/(pink or neon green...honestly,a person's color doesn't matter to me. I don't think people should be given benefits because of race nor should they be hurt in any way for being black (or being another URM) either...I think people are equal)...

But, I also think people should be responsible for their words/actions and so I simply said that she is black to identify her as much as possible. My guess is there are only a handful of people who work in the UT financial aid office, and if by some off chance her boss likes to troll LSD during admission season, I'll bet he/she could identify her...in addition to this maybe other students will not take her put downs to heart if they know she is doing it to others too.

LMAO. You can't be serious. How do you know she is black? Did she specifically tell you? Wouldn't it be more easier to "identify her as much as possible" by telling everyone the date, time, and the particular department you called? Why alert adcomms in such an indirect way? An anomous e-mail would surely get your point across.

She was rude enough that I was actually contemplating taking it that far...and I still might. But as for being unable to identify that she was black...YOU can't be serious...she had a very thick African American accent, and to suggest that a normal human being in our society can't identify someone's color by that is ridiculous...have you ever heard a Chinese accent? What about an East Indian accent? Is it racist to assume that you are taking to a Chinese person or an East Indian person when they speak in that way, or does someone have to specifically tell you what race they are in order for you to know....(this is a bunch of politically correct BS and you know it...everyone does).

I agree with you 100%

LMAO at the SORRY attorneys you two will make.  LOL.

Why's that? Because, we aren't up to your standards? What are you the standards police? It's really not a matter of whether we'll be good attorneys, good people, maybe a different story. All of this bull about whether someones black or white or yellow doesn't really matter. Categorizing them as such is not that big of a deal, I just wrote a paper for school on MLK, and I wrote the "african-americans" as NEGROES, because just 44 odd years ago, thats what they were called. It's not like, I'm racist. But, if I'm telling a story, I don't go..well the guy, i'd say the white guy, the black guy, the indian guy, the chinese guy, whoever it may be. I'm from New York, end of story.

It has nothing to do with MY standards, because believe me, you are FAR beneath them.  It has to do with the standards of America 2008, the country and year we presently live in.  It is a matter of whether or not you will be good attorneys, because good attorneys should not practice this type of language.  And for you to bring MLK into this situation, shows the lack of ethics and morals you have.  Another reason you will not make a good attorney.  Race should not have been a factor in his story.  We have already talked to him about this, and he understands.  Your lack of compassion, understanding, and wisdom, are three more reasons of why you will not make a good attorney.  It matters not where you are from, but where you are going.  And America is moving into a new place, without you and others like you.  There is no possible way to determine ANY race over the phone!  And for you to agree with him for saying that, shows your ignorance even more.  Another reason which shows why you will not make a good attorney.  I am happy for this reason that I will be going into the practice of law.  Hopefully one day, I will be suing you. 

LMFAO. What a joke that is. How do you know where I am? How do u know what I think? The lack of morals or ethics? Great. So, because I am in a inter-racial relationship for the past 2 1/2 years, makes my persona lack ethics, values and the ability to be a good attorney? Hmm..I'd say #1 you don't know anything about me. I'd also say #2 it makes me more likely to understand exactly what is going on in present day 2008 (at least in race relations). I wasn't comparing it to the times of MLK, you moron, I was simply stating that even him, the biggest advocate for equality, described people by people of color and by people that were white...makes it socially acceptable in my mind. There's nothing that I said that was racist, there's nothing that I said that was wrong. I agreed that it was OKAY for him to say that a lady was black, if she's black, she's black. If I'm white and jewish, which I am, then I'm white and jewish. I really do not see how this has anything to do with ethics, values or moral fiber.

And your next reference. My lack of wisdom? Get real. I'm so glad that you could make such a distinction based on one post in a forum, you must be a modern day Socrates.

LegallyAccepted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2008, 08:37:08 PM »
Ok, so let's hear the bad experiences...(also if you want to share some of the good ones too you can)

For me, I talked to some black lady on the phone at the University of Texas today in the financial aid department...one of the rudest people I have EVER talked to in a "professional" environment. I was simply asking for some very general information about their scholarships, and she interrupted me several times and was very belittling in what she said...I never gave her my name so I almost told her off, but then decided that it wasn't worth it...but now I'm definitely leaning away from Texas and towards either Vandy or a lower T14 after that experience...honestly, she was rude enough, that if I could get her fired I would try.

For a good one, Cornell has some very nice people working there...so far they have been the best I've experience so far.

It is relevant...but not because she is black/white/(pink or neon green...honestly,a person's color doesn't matter to me. I don't think people should be given benefits because of race nor should they be hurt in any way for being black (or being another URM) either...I think people are equal)...

But, I also think people should be responsible for their words/actions and so I simply said that she is black to identify her as much as possible. My guess is there are only a handful of people who work in the UT financial aid office, and if by some off chance her boss likes to troll LSD during admission season, I'll bet he/she could identify her...in addition to this maybe other students will not take her put downs to heart if they know she is doing it to others too.

LMAO. You can't be serious. How do you know she is black? Did she specifically tell you? Wouldn't it be more easier to "identify her as much as possible" by telling everyone the date, time, and the particular department you called? Why alert adcomms in such an indirect way? An anomous e-mail would surely get your point across.

She was rude enough that I was actually contemplating taking it that far...and I still might. But as for being unable to identify that she was black...YOU can't be serious...she had a very thick African American accent, and to suggest that a normal human being in our society can't identify someone's color by that is ridiculous...have you ever heard a Chinese accent? What about an East Indian accent? Is it racist to assume that you are taking to a Chinese person or an East Indian person when they speak in that way, or does someone have to specifically tell you what race they are in order for you to know....(this is a bunch of politically correct BS and you know it...everyone does).

I agree with you 100%

Why's that? Because, we aren't up to your standards? What are you the standards police? It's really not a matter of whether we'll be good attorneys, good people, maybe a different story. All of this bull about whether someones black or white or yellow doesn't really matter. Categorizing them as such is not that big of a deal, I just wrote a paper for school on MLK, and I wrote the "african-americans" as NEGROES, because just 44 odd years ago, thats what they were called. It's not like, I'm racist. But, if I'm telling a story, I don't go..well the guy, i'd say the white guy, the black guy, the indian guy, the chinese guy, whoever it may be. I'm from New York, end of story.

It has nothing to do with MY standards, because believe me, you are FAR beneath them.  It has to do with the standards of America 2008, the country and year we presently live in.  It is a matter of whether or not you will be good attorneys, because good attorneys should not practice this type of language.  And for you to bring MLK into this situation, shows the lack of ethics and morals you have.  Another reason you will not make a good attorney.  Race should not have been a factor in his story.  We have already talked to him about this, and he understands.  Your lack of compassion, understanding, and wisdom, are three more reasons of why you will not make a good attorney.  It matters not where you are from, but where you are going.  And America is moving into a new place, without you and others like you.  There is no possible way to determine ANY race over the phone!  And for you to agree with him for saying that, shows your ignorance even more.  Another reason which shows why you will not make a good attorney.  I am happy for this reason that I will be going into the practice of law.  Hopefully one day, I will be suing you. 

LMFAO. What a joke that is. How do you know where I am? How do u know what I think? The lack of morals or ethics? Great. So, because I am in a inter-racial relationship for the past 2 1/2 years, makes my persona lack ethics, values and the ability to be a good attorney? Hmm..I'd say #1 you don't know anything about me. I'd also say #2 it makes me more likely to understand exactly what is going on in present day 2008 (at least in race relations). I wasn't comparing it to the times of MLK, you moron, I was simply stating that even him, the biggest advocate for equality, described people by people of color and by people that were white...makes it socially acceptable in my mind. There's nothing that I said that was racist, there's nothing that I said that was wrong. I agreed that it was OKAY for him to say that a lady was black, if she's black, she's black. If I'm white and jewish, which I am, then I'm white and jewish. I really do not see how this has anything to do with ethics, values or moral fiber.

And your next reference. My lack of wisdom? Get real. I'm so glad that you could make such a distinction based on one post in a forum, you must be a modern day Socrates.

I don't need to know specifics about you because everything you have posted here shows me the lack of character you have.  Apparantly you did not appropriately express yourself or what you meant by mentioning the GREAT Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  That's something you should have learned in middle school.  I could care less what type of "relationship" you are in if you do not understand the basics of dealing with other people. I didn't say you were racist, just like i didn't say the original poster was a racist.  I did warn him, as I am doing you, that some people will take the comments as racist.  That poster apologized after I and others showed him that there was no reason to even mention the ladies race.  #1 No way to confirm or deny.  #2 it played NO necessary part in the story.  Read the entire thread sweetheart before you make assumptions that you know nothing about. You are advocating for a person who apologized for his comments.  How ignorant.  And that is all!
You never know unless you try!

In: Mercer(W), Tulane (90K), WUSTL($), Loyola New Orleans (W) (99K), DePaul (W) (45K), LSU (W) (60K)(non-resident), Georgia State (W) (non-resident)
Waitlisted: Emory (W), UT (W), Vandy (W)
Rejected: Harvard

TULANE LAW CLASS OF 2011!!!

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2008, 08:40:10 PM »
I wasn't comparing it to the times of MLK, you moron, I was simply stating that even him, the biggest advocate for equality, described people by people of color and by people that were white...makes it socially acceptable in my mind.

There's a major difference between talking about a person's race or ethnicity in the context of a struggle for civil rights and in the context of talking about someone who works in an office who pissed you off.

Try again, thanks. (Actually, I'd prefer that you didn't try again)

TJCCARDCO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2008, 08:42:49 PM »

I agree with you 100%

I don't need to know specifics about you because everything you have posted here shows me the lack of character you have.  Apparantly you did not appropriately express yourself or what you meant by mentioning the GREAT Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  That's something you should have learned in middle school.  I could care less what type of "relationship" you are in if you do not understand the basics of dealing with other people. I didn't say you were racist, just like i didn't say the original poster was a racist.  I did warn him, as I am doing you, that some people will take the comments as racist.  That poster apologized after I and others showed him that there was no reason to even mention the ladies race.  #1 No way to confirm or deny.  #2 it played NO necessary part in the story.  Read the entire thread sweetheart before you make assumptions that you know nothing about. You are advocating for a person who apologized for his comments.  How ignorant.  And that is all!

Actually, I didn't care so much about it, as much as I can't believe people were getting on him. The part I agreed with him about was it being politically correct. Calling me sweetheart? What is that sexual harassment? Ooooooh...why did you have to say sweetheart? Huh? Why?

Dealing with people? Wow. I am highly respected in my community, and my school It wasn't racist. It cannot be misconstrued as racist, either. So, now my character has come into play, but since I sent you back rebuttals for why your comments on wisdom, values and morals didn't even come into play in one forum post, now you go to character? Do you even know what any of these words mean, or are you just trying to advocate something for the hell of advocating something? (let's stand behind the posters because I think they are right!)

Apparently in all of your great wisdom, you didn't learn how to spell apparently as well. But, thanks for playing.

Save your fingers for typing...and go write a book about how character is built. Send me a copy if you ever get finished because, I'm still clueless on how to gain character points.

TJCCARDCO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2008, 08:44:12 PM »
I wasn't comparing it to the times of MLK, you moron, I was simply stating that even him, the biggest advocate for equality, described people by people of color and by people that were white...makes it socially acceptable in my mind.

There's a major difference between talking about a person's race or ethnicity in the context of a struggle for civil rights and in the context of talking about someone who works in an office who pissed you off.

To me, it really didn't sound like he said "mean black person," it sounded like he said "black lady." Pretty sure that even after the "struggle," people are still called by their race all the time. Why on law school applications do you bubble in African-American or Caucasian? I mean, if race really wasn't an issue in modern day life and everyone was walking through life being clear as you people would make the common person think, don't you think they wouldn't ask these things? Why even make stats based on how many people who are black or are white or are yellow in statistics? Why? I understand that they want to have minorities, because there are organizations such as the NAACP, and such that want equal rights for minorities, and that they should have (equal rights), but why bother keeping statistics if we are clear and race doesn't matter?

And it makes me a bad person to say anything about it? Get real.

But, it's neither here nor there, you guys are right and i am wrong right? Because, no matter what I say, you guys are going to misconstrue what I say and turn it into your own fantasy. I'm just going to go over...here now...

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2008, 08:45:52 PM »

To me, it really didn't sound like he said "mean black person," it sounded like he said "black lady." But, it's neither here nor there, you guys are right and i am wrong right? Because, no matter what I say, you guys are going to misconstrue what I say and turn it into your own fantasy. I'm just going to go over...here now...

I have no idea what point you're trying to make.

So carry on being respected in your community, or whatevs.

LegallyAccepted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2008, 08:49:04 PM »

I agree with you 100%

Actually, I didn't care so much about it, as much as I can't believe people were getting on him. The part I agreed with him about was it being politically correct. Calling me sweetheart? What is that sexual harassment? Ooooooh...why did you have to say sweetheart? Huh? Why?

Dealing with people? Wow. I am highly respected in my community, and my school It wasn't racist. It cannot be misconstrued as racist, either. So, now my character has come into play, but since I sent you back rebuttals for why your comments on wisdom, values and morals didn't even come into play in one forum post, now you go to character? Do you even know what any of these words mean, or are you just trying to advocate something for the hell of advocating something? (let's stand behind the posters because I think they are right!)

Apparently in all of your great wisdom, you didn't learn how to spell apparently as well. But, thanks for playing.

Save your fingers for typing...and go write a book about how character is built. Send me a copy if you ever get finished because, I'm still clueless on how to gain character points.

As I stated before, your wisdom, values, morals, AND character are all poor.  I know exactly what they mean, hence me using them to tell you that you lack them.  I could care less what people in your community think of you, for all I know you are from Forsyth, GA.  And that would not help your argument AT ALL!  I will send you that book, and one to your neigbors, because apparently, all of ya'll need it!  
You never know unless you try!

In: Mercer(W), Tulane (90K), WUSTL($), Loyola New Orleans (W) (99K), DePaul (W) (45K), LSU (W) (60K)(non-resident), Georgia State (W) (non-resident)
Waitlisted: Emory (W), UT (W), Vandy (W)
Rejected: Harvard

TULANE LAW CLASS OF 2011!!!

TJCCARDCO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2008, 08:50:10 PM »
seriously, u people are crazy.

The Knight

• Not URM, just dark. I know...it's weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2008, 08:56:57 PM »
Why hasn't anyone dropped the N-bomb yet?  

Also, one of the people at Carolina's adcomm is African-American AND homosexual (I asked).

Looking to make a mountain out of a mole hill?  Chew on them apples!
I'm really happy with my school!!!

TJCCARDCO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2008, 09:20:03 PM »
google "some black lady", look at how that phrase is used in each of the results on the first 2 pages, and i think you'll see where they're coming from.

I put in some black lady and got "black madonna" and a band called black ladies.