Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which schools have rude admissions staff/financial aid staff...  (Read 10918 times)

tinkerbelle01

• View Profile
Re: Which schools have rude admissions staff/financial aid staff...
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 12:56:32 PM »

and fwiw, what the @#!* is an African American accent?  I have never heard any bull like that before. 

I think this is what the OP meant by African American 'accent':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American_Vernacular_English

Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 01:01:47 PM »
excuse me tinkerbelle, i demand you make a new name.
Wallace Stevens: "BLAHHHH you and I are like the same person."

tinkerbelle01

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 01:04:22 PM »
Haha why... what's wrong with tinkerbelle? 

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 01:18:24 PM »

and fwiw, what the @#!* is an African American accent?  I have never heard any bull like that before. 

I think this is what the OP meant by African American 'accent':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American_Vernacular_English

::)

i'm sure this is a flame but...

i know about AAVE...however, i doubt that a black female at a professional job working in the offices of a law school would not speak that way to a potential student.

AAVE =/= AA accent.
Columbia 3L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 05:50:22 PM »

So you're saying that I'm racist because I said a black lady was rude and I could tell she was black by her accent over the phone....just like I'm a racist because I assume I am talking to an East Indian person on the phone when they have an East Indian accent....WOW...how do you survive? You must think nearly everyone is a racist (because most people can pick out an accent over the phone)....sounds like a hard f*cking life, dude.

Have you ever asked yourself why you are so hypersensitive, because that is exactly what your posts show? (And if you think you are not, then why are you making an issue of this?)

I think all people are trying to say is that you clearly wrote that post with anger/frustration, which you have a total right to have after your experience.  It's just that in your decription of the person you talked to, we can still read the anger.  It seems like you are angry at her as much for being a "black lady" as for being a rude financial aid person, as if that in some way made the whole situation more insulting.  This may not be what you meant to communicate, but it's easy to interpret that way.

Anger/Frustration about how belittling she was...YES...as for her race...I honestly didn't care, and for you to assume what you wrote (in red) about me is a terrible assumption. (Whether any of you believe me at this point...well, I really could care less, because it almost seems like a few of you are pushing an agenda.)

My ONLY reason for saying that she was black is because my guess is there can't be more than 3 to 5 people who work in that part of the admissions office. Chances are also good that saying she was a black woman narrows it down even further. If you have any contact with her, watch out, because what happened to me was rude and completely unprovoked. (But in all fairness to her, maybe she was just having a bad day, or going through a divorce or something???....even so, being angry on my part was a very normal response for the way I was treated, and it had NOTHING to do with the fact she was black.)

The fact that such a trivial descriptive word is being made into such a big deal is pretty sad if you think about it...

LegallyAccepted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2008, 05:54:50 PM »

So you're saying that I'm racist because I said a black lady was rude and I could tell she was black by her accent over the phone....just like I'm a racist because I assume I am talking to an East Indian person on the phone when they have an East Indian accent....WOW...how do you survive? You must think nearly everyone is a racist (because most people can pick out an accent over the phone)....sounds like a hard f*cking life, dude.

Have you ever asked yourself why you are so hypersensitive, because that is exactly what your posts show? (And if you think you are not, then why are you making an issue of this?)

I think all people are trying to say is that you clearly wrote that post with anger/frustration, which you have a total right to have after your experience.  It's just that in your decription of the person you talked to, we can still read the anger.  It seems like you are angry at her as much for being a "black lady" as for being a rude financial aid person, as if that in some way made the whole situation more insulting.  This may not be what you meant to communicate, but it's easy to interpret that way.

Anger/Frustration about how belittling she was...YES...as for her race...I honestly didn't care, and for you to assume what you wrote (in red) about me is a terrible assumption. (Whether any of you believe me at this point...well, I really could care less, because it almost seems like a few of you are pushing an agenda.)

My ONLY reason for saying that she was black is because my guess is there can't be more than 3 to 5 people who work in that part of the admissions office. Chances are also good that saying she was a black woman narrows it down even further. If you have any contact with her, watch out, because what happened to me was rude and completely unprovoked. (But in all fairness to her, maybe she was just having a bad day, or going through a divorce or something???....even so, being angry on my part was a very normal response for the way I was treated, and it had NOTHING to do with the fact she was black.)

The fact that such a trivial descriptive word is being made into such a big deal is pretty sad if you think about it...

If you honestly don't care, then you would not have included it.

FYI: There are more than 3-5 BLACK people that work in that part of the admissions office
You never know unless you try!

In: Mercer(W), Tulane (90K), WUSTL($), Loyola New Orleans (W) (99K), DePaul (W) (45K), LSU (W) (60K)(non-resident), Georgia State (W) (non-resident)
Waitlisted: Emory (W), UT (W), Vandy (W)
Rejected: Harvard

TULANE LAW CLASS OF 2011!!!

LegallyAccepted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2008, 05:55:59 PM »

If you honestly don't care, then you would not have included it.

FYI: There are more than 3-5 BLACK people that work in that part of the admissions office

In: Mercer(W), Tulane (90K), WUSTL($), Loyola New Orleans (W) (99K), DePaul (W) (45K), LSU (W) (60K)(non-resident), Georgia State (W) (non-resident)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2008, 06:39:42 PM »
If you read the paragraph which includes your second red highlight (ie. I know you read it, but I guess the truth wasn't sufficient for you)....THAT is why I included it.

LegallyAccepted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 06:43:48 PM »
If you read the paragraph which includes your second red highlight (ie. I know you read it, but I guess the truth wasn't sufficient for you)....THAT is why I included it.

If you read my FYI, then you will see why I included it. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2008, 06:56:30 PM »

If you read my FYI, then you will see why I included it. 

I did read it, and I guess I assumed the staff was smaller than it is. That still doesn't change the fact that identifying her was my motivation though.