Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which schools have rude admissions staff/financial aid staff...  (Read 11375 times)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Which schools have rude admissions staff/financial aid staff...
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 03:28:54 PM »
Ok, so let's hear the bad experiences...(also if you want to share some of the good ones too you can)

For me, I talked to some black lady on the phone at the University of Texas today in the financial aid department...one of the rudest people I have EVER talked to in a "professional" environment. I was simply asking for some very general information about their scholarships, and she interrupted me several times and was very belittling in what she said...I never gave her my name so I almost told her off, but then decided that it wasn't worth it...but now I'm definitely leaning away from Texas and towards either Vandy or a lower T14 after that experience...honestly, she was rude enough, that if I could get her fired I would try.

So what are some of the other bad schools out there?

For a good one, Cornell has some very nice people working there...so far they have been the best I've experience so far.

How do you know she's black?  And why is her race in any way relevant?

It is relevant...but not because she is black/white/(pink or neon green...honestly,a person's color doesn't matter to me. I don't think people should be given benefits because of race nor should they be hurt in any way for being black (or being another URM) either...I think people are equal)...

But, I also think people should be responsible for their words/actions and so I simply said that she is black to identify her as much as possible. My guess is there are only a handful of people who work in the UT financial aid office, and if by some off chance her boss likes to troll LSD during admission season, I'll bet he/she could identify her...in addition to this maybe other students will not take her put downs to heart if they know she is doing it to others too.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 04:20:26 PM »
Ok, so let's hear the bad experiences...(also if you want to share some of the good ones too you can)

For me, I talked to some black lady on the phone at the University of Texas today in the financial aid department...one of the rudest people I have EVER talked to in a "professional" environment. I was simply asking for some very general information about their scholarships, and she interrupted me several times and was very belittling in what she said...I never gave her my name so I almost told her off, but then decided that it wasn't worth it...but now I'm definitely leaning away from Texas and towards either Vandy or a lower T14 after that experience...honestly, she was rude enough, that if I could get her fired I would try.

For a good one, Cornell has some very nice people working there...so far they have been the best I've experience so far.

It is relevant...but not because she is black/white/(pink or neon green...honestly,a person's color doesn't matter to me. I don't think people should be given benefits because of race nor should they be hurt in any way for being black (or being another URM) either...I think people are equal)...

But, I also think people should be responsible for their words/actions and so I simply said that she is black to identify her as much as possible. My guess is there are only a handful of people who work in the UT financial aid office, and if by some off chance her boss likes to troll LSD during admission season, I'll bet he/she could identify her...in addition to this maybe other students will not take her put downs to heart if they know she is doing it to others too.

LMAO. You can't be serious. How do you know she is black? Did she specifically tell you? Wouldn't it be more easier to "identify her as much as possible" by telling everyone the date, time, and the particular department you called? Why alert adcomms in such an indirect way? An anomous e-mail would surely get your point across.

She was rude enough that I was actually contemplating taking it that far...and I still might. But as for being unable to identify that she was black...YOU can't be serious...she had a very thick African American accent, and to suggest that a normal human being in our society can't identify someone's color by that is ridiculous...have you ever heard a Chinese accent? What about an East Indian accent? Is it racist to assume that you are taking to a Chinese person or an East Indian person when they speak in that way, or does someone have to specifically tell you what race they are in order for you to know....(this is a bunch of politically correct BS and you know it...everyone does).

Boyce Baylor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 04:20:32 PM »
Cornell was just super nice, which was interesting.

neverold

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 10:22:17 PM »
For me, I talked to some black lady on the phone at the University of Texas today in the financial aid department...one of the rudest people I have EVER talked to in a "professional" environment.

How is the representative's gender in any way relevant?

Why are people taking offense at certain descriptions and not others?  I'm not trying to be a smart-ass - I'm genuinely curious.

Boyce Baylor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 10:24:02 PM »
For me, I talked to some black lady on the phone at the University of Texas today in the financial aid department...one of the rudest people I have EVER talked to in a "professional" environment.

How is the representative's gender in any way relevant?

Why are people taking offense at certain descriptions and not others?  I'm not trying to be a smart-ass - I'm genuinely curious.

Egregious Hilldog trolling

Subtle Mike Gravel trolling

hurley325

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 10:41:30 PM »
Haven't had any negative experiences (except Vandy not responding to emails), but best does have to go to Tulane, WUSTL, Emory.

Tulane's admissions office has been outstanding for me as well.  I would add that I have been extremely impressed by Baylor and Missouri as well.

I really haven't had any bad experiences as of yet, although I have not had much contact with many schools.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 02:35:59 AM »

LMAO. You can't be serious. How do you know she is black? Did she specifically tell you? Wouldn't it be more easier to "identify her as much as possible" by telling everyone the date, time, and the particular department you called? Why alert adcomms in such an indirect way? An anomous e-mail would surely get your point across.

She was rude enough that I was actually contemplating taking it that far...and I still might. But as for being unable to identify that she was black...YOU can't be serious...she had a very thick African American accent, and to suggest that a normal human being in our society can't identify someone's color by that is ridiculous...have you ever heard a Chinese accent? What about an East Indian accent? Is it racist to assume that you are taking to a Chinese person or an East Indian person when they speak in that way, or does someone have to specifically tell you what race they are in order for you to know....(this is a bunch of politically correct BS and you know it...everyone does).

call it what you want but i just don't see the relevance.

"and to suggest that a normal human being in our society can't identify someone's color by that is ridiculous"

that's a stretch. please reread my post. i was simply asking you to explain how you knew that she was black.

Is it racist to assume that you are taking to a Chinese person or an East Indian person when they speak in that way,

That's exactly where i was going with this.            ::calls Al Sharpton on Speed dial::

BTW. The white lady that i spoke with at Chicago was very helpful with my financial aid info.  ;)

Kudos to Chicago.

So you're saying that I'm racist because I said a black lady was rude and I could tell she was black by her accent over the phone....just like I'm a racist because I assume I am talking to an East Indian person on the phone when they have an East Indian accent....WOW...how do you survive? You must think nearly everyone is a racist (because most people can pick out an accent over the phone)....sounds like a hard f*cking life, dude.

Have you ever asked yourself why you are so hypersensitive, because that is exactly what your posts show? (And if you think you are not, then why are you making an issue of this?)

jnb983

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 09:56:07 AM »

So you're saying that I'm racist because I said a black lady was rude and I could tell she was black by her accent over the phone....just like I'm a racist because I assume I am talking to an East Indian person on the phone when they have an East Indian accent....WOW...how do you survive? You must think nearly everyone is a racist (because most people can pick out an accent over the phone)....sounds like a hard f*cking life, dude.

Have you ever asked yourself why you are so hypersensitive, because that is exactly what your posts show? (And if you think you are not, then why are you making an issue of this?)

I think all people are trying to say is that you clearly wrote that post with anger/frustration, which you have a total right to have after your experience.  It's just that in your decription of the person you talked to, we can still read the anger.  It seems like you are angry at her as much for being a "black lady" as for being a rude financial aid person, as if that in some way made the whole situation more insulting.  This may not be what you meant to communicate, but it's easy to interpret that way.
yo: Gtown($$), RU-C($), GW($), UIUC($$), Northwestern($)
no-go: Berkeley, H, Y, UChi
so-so: Fordham, Mich, UCLA, Columbia, Vandy, UVA, Penn, NYU 

el ess en

Tegoyan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 10:27:10 AM »
OP, since you claim you included the woman's race as an "identifier" why didn't you racially identify the wonderful, helpful people at Cornell so that we could all thank them for treating you so well?

The fact is that you wrote "black woman" because you were mad, but if a white woman would've been rude to you, I bet we would not have seen "white woman" in your post. If the black woman had been nice to you, you probably would not have mentioned her race either.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 10:37:45 AM »
OP, since you claim you included the woman's race as an "identifier" why didn't you racially identify the wonderful, helpful people at Cornell so that we could all thank them for treating you so well?

The fact is that you wrote "black woman" because you were mad, but if a white woman would've been rude to you, I bet we would not have seen "white woman" in your post. If the black woman had been nice to you, you probably would not have mentioned her race either.

pretty much.

and fwiw, what the @#!* is an African American accent?  I have never heard any bull like that before. 
Columbia 3L