Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which schools have rude admissions staff/financial aid staff...  (Read 10922 times)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Which schools have rude admissions staff/financial aid staff...
« on: January 29, 2008, 01:49:19 AM »
Ok, so let's hear the bad experiences...(also if you want to share some of the good ones too you can)

For me, I talked to some black lady on the phone at the University of Texas today in the financial aid department...one of the rudest people I have EVER talked to in a "professional" environment. I was simply asking for some very general information about their scholarships, and she interrupted me several times and was very belittling in what she said...I never gave her my name so I almost told her off, but then decided that it wasn't worth it...but now I'm definitely leaning away from Texas and towards either Vandy or a lower T14 after that experience...honestly, she was rude enough, that if I could get her fired I would try.

So what are some of the other bad schools out there?

For a good one, Cornell has some very nice people working there...so far they have been the best I've experience so far.

lsatarist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Which schools have rude admissions staff/financial aid staff...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 02:37:18 AM »
Ok, so let's hear the bad experiences...(also if you want to share some of the good ones too you can)

For me, I talked to some black lady on the phone at the University of Texas today in the financial aid department...one of the rudest people I have EVER talked to in a "professional" environment. I was simply asking for some very general information about their scholarships, and she interrupted me several times and was very belittling in what she said...I never gave her my name so I almost told her off, but then decided that it wasn't worth it...but now I'm definitely leaning away from Texas and towards either Vandy or a lower T14 after that experience...honestly, she was rude enough, that if I could get her fired I would try.

For a good one, Cornell has some very nice people working there...so far they have been the best I've experience so far.

The people at Florida (Levin) were the rudest people I have encountered in any academic environment.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 02:43:53 AM »

How do you know she's black?  And why is her race in any way relevant?
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Avicenna

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 03:27:28 AM »

How is this question relevant? The op is just describing his/her experience.No where did the op refer to any correlation between the incident and the race of the aggressor. If you try to read this post from a more holistic perspective, you will see that he/she is not trying to be racist by any means.

To add to this conversation.
I have had one rude admissions assistant @ GW.

LegallyAccepted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 03:36:54 AM »

How is this question relevant? The op is just describing his/her experience.No where did the op refer to any correlation between the incident and the race of the aggressor. If you try to read this post from a more holistic perspective, you will see that he/she is not trying to be racist by any means.

The question is relevant because the OP chose to refer to the lady by race, so, inevitably, one would ask what was the importance of it.  The OP could have simply shared the experience with the staff, and left it at that.  There was no need to emphasize ANY race because it does not add to the story.  It only deters one from it.

Haven't had any negative experiences (except Vandy not responding to emails), but best does have to go to Tulane, WUSTL, Emory.
You never know unless you try!

In: Mercer(W), Tulane (90K), WUSTL($), Loyola New Orleans (W) (99K), DePaul (W) (45K), LSU (W) (60K)(non-resident), Georgia State (W) (non-resident)
Waitlisted: Emory (W), UT (W), Vandy (W)
Rejected: Harvard

TULANE LAW CLASS OF 2011!!!

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 03:39:19 AM »

Did I say that (s)he was trying to be racist?  I asked a few questions in the hope that people would think about the assumptions they make, just like the one you just made.

LegallyAccepted is also spot on.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Boyce Baylor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 08:48:12 AM »
The only people I've talked to were at BC and they were a little curt with me, I also thought it was pretty rude of Texas to reject me, not sure the race of the person who wrote my DING.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 09:08:49 AM »

The people at Florida (Levin) were the rudest people I have encountered in any academic environment.

Really? I had a not so great experience initially with one person in the admissions office (everyone else was superb), but the student affairs/financial aid people are amazingly nice and helpful here at Levin. Like, ridiculously nice.
Vanderbilt 2010

PollyMaggoo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 09:12:35 AM »
No bad experiences yet. I spoke with two extremely friendly and helpful women when I called to check on my status at BU and Brooklyn.

jnb983

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 09:33:51 AM »
I had a really bad experience with Georgetown last year.  They kept giving me incorrect information about my application that resulted in my app not being complete until after the regular deadline, even though it was filed and actually complete well before the ED deadline.  Well, it was one person, really, and I don't think that person works there anymore.

This year they've been wonderful.   But they also let me in, so maybe I'm biased  ;D
yo: Gtown($$), RU-C($), GW($), UIUC($$), Northwestern($)
no-go: Berkeley, H, Y, UChi
so-so: Fordham, Mich, UCLA, Columbia, Vandy, UVA, Penn, NYU 

el ess en