Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Harvard Rejection  (Read 2690 times)

fsohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Harvard Rejection
« on: January 29, 2008, 12:15:44 AM »
Did anyone else get rejected from Harvard via email today?  Decidedly unclassy to reject by email, I'd say.

BRodgers

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Harvard Rejection
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 12:21:13 AM »
That is a little harsh for the $75 or whatever it is. But then perhaps they are trying to let people know as fast as possible. I mean we all lament the waiting and the email does knock a few days off. In any case, I'm sorry to hear that. Any rejection hurts, but Harvard is one of those dream level institutions even for those who are qualified. Good luck with the rest of your cycle.

BlueGreen

• Sr. Citizen
  • [insert vague quote here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 12:30:07 AM »
i think i'd prefer an email rejection. better than coming home to an envelope, hoping desperately that a small envelope isn't necessarily a rejection, seeing that it *is* a rejection, then wondering what would be the best way to destroy the letter (1. casually drop it in the trash like you just don't care or 2. burn it and flush the ashes, hoping it'll lessen the sting of the ding)
HLS class of 2011
LSN

sandphire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 08:52:32 AM »
People on LSN who have been rejected in the past few days went complete anywhere from 10/31 to 11/29, which does not bode well (I've been complete since 10/31 via email, 10/19 on the status checker, and haven't heard anything either, so I feel your pain).

In 2006, based on Toby's blog, it was approx 2 months from completion to an admit, deny, or hold (hold used to give you a response w/in 2 months if they hadn't decided).  This year though, the application instructions say only that "the length of time from completion to decision varies from case to case", but they make an effort to notify by late April.  They also say they review apps roughly in the order of completion...so what that means for people who went complete early on but have heard absolutely nothing...I have no idea (I can speculate forever though - like if you haven't gotten a hold email by now, a rejection is surely coming at some point, or if you haven't gotten a rejection, they're thinking really hard about whether they want to call you, or the rejection email is coming this week, you were just at the bottom of the pile, or if you haven't heard they've forgotten about your application entirely...'you' referring to people in general, of course)

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »
Okay, so I'm ending month three of waiting for a decision from Harvard (I've been complete since 11/2/07).  I've gotten nothing from them one way or the other, and I'd like to hear something.  What was the timeframe from application to e-mail?

I've got you beat by a few days (I was complete in late October), and I haven't heard anything either.  Oh well.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

bohemian_revolution

• Sr. Citizen
  • le fabuleux destin
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 09:24:50 AM »
You know, if I'm going to get dinged, I'd like to have the masochistic pleasure of actually seeing and opening the thin envelope. Did hold e-mails already go out? Because if they did, I'm doomed :/

Signal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 10:14:10 AM »
I understand the satisfaction of having a physical letter to show rejection, but I think I would prefer rejection by email (when my rejections start rolling in). Email is faster, and, at least with my mail delivery, much more reliable. Plus, at least it saves a little bit of paper. I'm hoping more admission offices will go paperless like UChicago.

joebuddencirca03

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 10:22:02 AM »
Okay, so I'm ending month three of waiting for a decision from Harvard (I've been complete since 11/2/07).  I've gotten nothing from them one way or the other, and I'd like to hear something.  What was the timeframe from application to e-mail?

I've got you beat by a few days (I was complete in late October), and I haven't heard anything either.  Oh well.

10/23/07 (IIRC) FTW!!!
Georgetown 1.5L

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 11:38:08 AM »
Hmm I've been complete since early October....was expecting a rejection a LONG time ago since I'm nowhere in the reasonable ballpark numbers-wise.  Weird.

michigander

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 12:26:56 PM »
So if I haven't received a Toby Stock call email, I'm pretty much auto rejected right? I've been complete since Nov too, and I'd just like to prepare for when I refresh my inbox...