Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Opinions on Lewis & Clark?  (Read 30956 times)

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
Re: Opinions on Lewis & Clark?
« Reply #250 on: April 07, 2008, 07:28:10 PM »
so, i've been reading this thread for the last couple of months and thought i'd chip in a few things:

1. Portland is a great place to live! I'll finish my undergrad here next year, and will be taking the june LSAT. i have been here for two years (moved with my wife from s. carolina) and absolutely love it.  Portland has a way of working into your blood.  the city just changes you somehow.  the people are engaging, the coffee (esp. Stumptown) is amazing, and the local pubs everywhere make this place truly special.  I love p'town so much, that even though both me and my wife's family live back east, we're considering passing up on better law schools there to stay here and go to L+C. (assuming i get accepted).

2. i'm going to tour L+C tomorrow, so i hope to be able to share more of my thoughts of the campus when i return.

3. I live in the NE part of town, so i can comment on a lot of the east side neighborhoods, and the general living conditions around here. 

Thanks for posting :) I have been unable to visit the campus thus far, so any thoughts you can give on your tour tomorrow would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

eventually

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 07, 2008, 09:18:34 PM »
hello jobigot

Did Lewis and Clark let u know when you will receive a decision?
thanks

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 07, 2008, 10:53:25 PM »
so, i've been reading this thread for the last couple of months and thought i'd chip in a few things:

1. Portland is a great place to live! I'll finish my undergrad here next year, and will be taking the june LSAT. i have been here for two years (moved with my wife from s. carolina) and absolutely love it.  Portland has a way of working into your blood.  the city just changes you somehow.  the people are engaging, the coffee (esp. Stumptown) is amazing, and the local pubs everywhere make this place truly special.  I love p'town so much, that even though both me and my wife's family live back east, we're considering passing up on better law schools there to stay here and go to L+C. (assuming i get accepted).

2. i'm going to tour L+C tomorrow, so i hope to be able to share more of my thoughts of the campus when i return.

3. I live in the NE part of town, so i can comment on a lot of the east side neighborhoods, and the general living conditions around here. 

Thanks for posting :) I have been unable to visit the campus thus far, so any thoughts you can give on your tour tomorrow would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

no prob...any questions you might want answered??

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #253 on: April 08, 2008, 12:05:16 AM »

no prob...any questions you might want answered??

hmmm let's see.....

1.)How far the campus is from downtown, or se portland, in terms of driving or in terms of public transport
2.) Are the "bunker" classrooms really as awful as people say?
3.) Is the library really as nice as people say?
4.) Is there anywhere within reasonable distance to grab lunch or coffeeshops if you're on campus all day or is everyone stuck with the campus cafeteria (if there is one? I haven't heard either way)
5.) Since you'll be there not during an ASW weekend and they might not have their full tour-guide mode on, how do you see the student body? Laid back, cutthroat, scared to death of not finding a job, mix of everything?
6.) Anything else you care to tell us about Portland or the campus, since you are already a Portlandian? (If that's even what you guys go by, I'll have to learn the lingo in a few months!)

Thanks again!

ColvilleWA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 08, 2008, 12:32:24 AM »
I can weigh in on this...

1.)How far the campus is from downtown, or se portland, in terms of driving or in terms of public transport
About 15 min by car with average traffic..i've never done public transport but I'd guess 30 min.

2.) Are the "bunker" classrooms really as awful as people say?
No..I actually liked em.  THe school's architecture seems to be designed with the purpose of blending into the forest. It might bother you if you need windows though.

3.) Is the library really as nice as people say?
Yes

4.) Is there anywhere within reasonable distance to grab lunch or coffeeshops if you're on campus all day or is everyone stuck with the campus cafeteria (if there is one? I haven't heard either way)
THere is a Cafeteria/Espresso bar on campus...off campus...I may be wrong on this but I don't think there's anything within walking distance.  There seems to be some ok spots a quick drive away though.

5.) Since you'll be there not during an ASW weekend and they might not have their full tour-guide mode on, how do you see the student body? Laid back, cutthroat, scared to death of not finding a job, mix of everything?
They seemed very laid back from what I saw.

6.) Anything else you care to tell us about Portland or the campus, since you are already a Portlandian? (If that's even what you guys go by, I'll have to learn the lingo in a few months!)
I think I've made it clear how awesome Portland and Oregon are earlier.  I can't imagine anyone not liking it.  It's the most affordable/livable real city on the west coast.  It has the best beer in the world (baring maybe Germany).  Some of the best skiing and hiking options out there are day trip away.  I think you have made a fine selection and I doubt you will regret it.

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #255 on: April 08, 2008, 12:42:01 AM »
Thanks Colville, that was helpful :)

I'm pleased with my choice too, scared and nervous, but pleased.

Now I'm just trying to load up on all the Portland, L&C 1st-hand experience that I can before I'm able to fly out there and see for myself (hopefully in May for my birthday!)

BigLulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 08, 2008, 09:55:50 AM »
Thanks Colville! I too can't seem to read enough about my (future) fair city/state. If anyone has done the cemetery ride to the school...how hard is it? Would it be unreasonable to think biking it to class? If so I might consider taking the shuttle to class and biking back home. Hmm.
!!!

siski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 08, 2008, 01:16:59 PM »
The cemetery ride will kick your ass if you're not in shape. But, it will get you into shape pretty damn fast. You will be sweaty after the cemetery ride, but luckily -- LC has showers (nice ones), a towel service, and driers in the locker rooms!

The cemetery ride is nice, though -- pretty much no traffic.

BigLulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 08, 2008, 03:33:58 PM »
The cemetery ride will kick your ass if you're not in shape. But, it will get you into shape pretty damn fast. You will be sweaty after the cemetery ride, but luckily -- LC has showers (nice ones), a towel service, and driers in the locker rooms!

The cemetery ride is nice, though -- pretty much no traffic.

Perfect!
!!!

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #259 on: April 08, 2008, 10:12:57 PM »
Interesting article about Oregon salaries, from last year though:

http://www.osbar.org/publications/bulletin/07may/salarywars.html