Law School Discussion

Opinions on Lewis & Clark?

Opinions on Lewis & Clark?
« on: January 28, 2008, 03:53:58 PM »
So I was accepted to Lewis & Clark law school along with a small 5k scholarship which is contingent on a GPA above 2.9.

What's the curve? opinions on the school? How does it compare to the other schools in the area?

Re: Opinions on Lewis & Clark?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 06:16:30 PM »
Great for environmental law, obviously. The Portland market is pretty saturated with 20-30-something business/lawyer types from T-14 and T1 schools, so the chances you would be able to work in the area without a high ranking are probably pretty awful.

Check out the 3D tour on the LC page. Beautiful campus.

El_Che

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 09:18:23 PM »
The Portland market is pretty saturated with 20-30-something business/lawyer types from T-14 and T1 schools, so the chances you would be able to work in the area without a high ranking are probably pretty awful.

Sources?

L+C

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 09:38:32 PM »
Top15-20% is accurate for Biglaw.  As for the assertion that you can't get work period... not true.  The salaries just aren't high and loan repayment keeps people from accepting many of the low paying options.  L+C grads are seriously favored in the Portland area and networking opportunities are abundant.  Yeah, a T-14 grad has the upper hand if academics are the deciding factor, but I'd rather be the L&C grad who worked in this market for 2 years with the benefits of networking. Outside Biglaw, every other attorney in this market graduated from L&C.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 01:30:02 PM »
So what sort of jobs are there outside of BIGLAW in portland?

And how's the weather? Life in the city, etc.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 01:35:28 PM »
So what sort of jobs are there outside of BIGLAW in portland?

And how's the weather? Life in the city, etc.

I'm also interested in this!

What kinds of government work opportunities are there for LC grads?

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 01:40:39 PM »
Portland is an incredible city, though it does rain alot in fall/winter/spring.

It is truly a "big" city with a small town feel. It's cheap living, easy to park, easy to get around, etc.

It has great restaurants, bars (we're nationally renowned for our microbreweries), and cultural scene.

My senior year at LC undergrad I lived in a near mansion with a few roommates that cost $1000, total. Good apartments run ~$650-$850.

El_Che

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 01:45:29 PM »
I'll be visiting in March so I'll be sure to take a lot of notes on the facilities and city in general..

Any students at L&C or graduates here? Care to comment on the Portland job market? Thanks!

L+C

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 01:46:58 PM »
I'll be visiting in March so I'll be sure to take a lot of notes on the facilities and city in general..

Any students at L&C or graduates here? Care to comment on the Portland job market? Thanks!

I'm a 3L currently sitting in Family Law at L&C

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 01:48:05 PM »

I'll probs be at the student preview too, what what!