Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: October 2004 LSAT: the aftermath  (Read 14829 times)

gooooooo

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.67, OCT. 2
    • View Profile
Re: October 2004 LSAT: the aftermath
« Reply #160 on: October 02, 2004, 06:11:12 PM »
Hey guys,
I know obsessing afterwards is pointless, but I can't help it.  Does anyone know what the right answers were to the following questions:

- READING COMP, "Chinese immigrants" section:  For the last question, what statement, "if true", would support the author's argument in the last sentence of the paragraph???  His argument was that Chinese immigrants were in large part responsible for the success of the region... so I picked the answer that was something like "Studies show that the region was extremely fertile if irrigated"... Any thoughts?

- READING COMP, "Neuroscience" section:  For the very first question, what was the main point of the passage?  I think I picked (B), which was that What's-her-face's discovery of the Nerve growth factor was an important discovery in the field.... Any thoughts?

-READING COMP, "Neuroscience" section:  What would the author of the passage say is so significant about her discovery?  I was torn between either (A) which was that it led to a better understanding of the development of the nervous system, and (E) which was that it discovered a specific substance in mouse tumors that stimulates nerve cell growth.  ???

-LOGICAL REASONING, (I forget which section):  The question gave us a paragraph about opposition parties that rise to power but then splinter into disagreements once they are victorious.  We had to complete the sentence logically -- was it (B) that they must find a way to patch up their differences if they are to retain power, or (C) that they may not promulgate a new ideology to justify their policies once they are victorious???

I realize this is a little obsessive, but if anyone could let me know what they put, I'd be very grateful!
Thanks.

For the chinese question it was the fact that businesses now owned by chinese people on the Pacific Coast are doing well or whatever.  This proved that they changed the lanscape or whatever.

The main point of the nerve passage was that her discoveries led to large improvement in the field.

The opposition parties had to refrain from breaking apart on ideological grounds once they gained power.

RaiderHeisman

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 02, 2004, 06:52:28 PM »
- READING COMP, "Chinese immigrants" section:  For the last question, what statement, "if true", would support the author's argument in the last sentence of the paragraph???  His argument was that Chinese immigrants were in large part responsible for the success of the region... so I picked the answer that was something like "Studies show that the region was extremely fertile if irrigated"... Any thoughts?
I guess it comes down to what the question was really asking... and I struggled with that a little bit.

I ultimately chose the same answer you did because I interpreted it to mean that an understanding of how the actions of the Chinese immigrants impacted irrigation would support the claims made in the last sentence.

- READING COMP, "Neuroscience" section:  For the very first question, what was the main point of the passage?  I think I picked (B), which was that What's-her-face's discovery of the Nerve growth factor was an important discovery in the field.... Any thoughts?
Process of elimination led me to that answer too.

-READING COMP, "Neuroscience" section:  What would the author of the passage say is so significant about her discovery?  I was torn between either (A) which was that it led to a better understanding of the development of the nervous system, and (E) which was that it discovered a specific substance in mouse tumors that stimulates nerve cell growth.  ???
Since the entire last paragraph (which I believe focused on the impact of her discovery) dealt with the role of NGF on neural development, I chose (A). I eliminated the mouse/chick tumor one because it seemed too narrow in focus, and nothing was mentioned about it in the last paragraph.

londongirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 02, 2004, 07:10:33 PM »
I chose the answer that said each party probably wouldn't keep its word on election promises, because the merging of parties means they must compromise or something....? prob. wrong but I just wasn't sure and there wasn't much time left.

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 02, 2004, 07:52:20 PM »
Yeah "Quick" I chose forbearing too, though don't remember a clue of what it was about.  And...I was stoked about RC while doing Chinese on the Pacific Coast and Canadian legal. 
But, THEN...I hit NGF and started throwin' down guesses like a dog.  That and architecture just tilted the weight right off the scale.  Can't win.

BAFF213

« Reply #164 on: October 02, 2004, 11:36:42 PM »
wait, so are you saying that the Modernist passage (the one I didn't attempt) was easy?

It wasn't a complete breeze, but I thought it was easier than the NGF passage (i.e., science passage).

Oh *&^%, Superior Lobe - I didn't even realize it's you (I was looking at your icon rather than your name).  What's up buddy?  How did you do?

I feel good.  But I have felt good in the past and scored 8 points down from my best score.  I'm almost certain I broke 168.  I could be as high as 174 if everything crumbles my way.

Cool - I'm just glad it's over with.

BAFF are you gonna retake or keep the score?

Probably keep it.  I figure if I take December, it will be too late.  I mean, for the more selective schools that I'm applying to, it is best to get the app in fairly early; whereas the less selective schools don't have deadlines till March.  So basically if I took December, it would help me out only for the less selective schools, which I will get into anyway.  I really feel like I could have done better, considering I almost pissed my pants during the test and it was really distracting, but I think I did ok.  We'll see in three weeks.  Worse comes to worse, I'll take June, take a year off (work) and apply again with a higher GPA and LSAT score next year.

noell

« Reply #165 on: October 03, 2004, 02:29:01 AM »
I've concluded that my experimental section was Section 2 (RC).

Anyone know the experimental section? I had three logical reasoning sections?

Tks

noell

« Reply #166 on: October 03, 2004, 02:33:25 AM »
Hahaha, thanks man.  That's probably when I had my Reese's on break. :P

just noticed it's pushing noon west coast time, which means they're heading into their final section or so, so pos. thoughts to Noell and the rest of the west coast contingent.

saf2001

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 03, 2004, 02:39:43 AM »
Hey does anyone remember what they got for that question from the NGF passage... it went something like, "what is the most prominent contribution of that lady's studies?"  Something like that...

I put paved the way for further studies in biochem.  What did everyone else put?

Babalaco

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - babalaco
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 03, 2004, 03:11:32 AM »
i forget...what were the other choices?

londongirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 03, 2004, 05:29:22 AM »
I'm screwed! I swear I don't remember and didn't do that 'fabric' question - ppl are saying it was a comparison of modern architecture to some other architecture... now I'm pissing myself that I left it out by mistake and bubbled in my answers as though I had done it, so that the answer for the next question was placed as the answer to this one so that all by bubbling is off by one spot! @#!*! I'll have no rest till I get the grading sheet pdf!

What to dO?