Law School Discussion

(urgent) 2007 June GAME #3

(urgent) 2007 June GAME #3
« on: January 28, 2008, 12:00:59 PM »
A cruise line is scheduling seven week-long voyages for the ship Freedom. Each voyage will occur in exactly one of the first seven weeks of the season: weeks 1 through 7. Each voyage will be exactly one of four destinaions:
G, J, M, or T. Each destination will be scheduled for at least one of the weeks. The following condions apply:

J will not be its destination in week 4
T will be its destination in week 7.
Freedom will make exactly two voyages to M, and at least one voyage to G will occur in some week between those two voyages.
G will be its destination in the week preceding any voyage it makes to J.
No destination scheduled consecutively. 
-------------------------------

I have a major problem with this game.
and I know I am missing something here... but what could that be?
I had hard time interpreting the second last rule--> Does that simply mean that when J appears, it must be preceded by G, hence J -> GJ.

Also, I think there is a numerical distribution working here. only two options are possible when it's either 1) 3-2-1-1 or 2) 2-2-2-1. Am I correct? Also, J is the one that appears only once in both situation because J appearing twice will triger G as well.

I am on stand-by. CAn anyone help??????
thank you

armada

• I have people to go and places to see!
    • View Profile
Re: (urgent) 2007 June GAME #3
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 12:18:48 PM »
Yes, whenever there is J, the you must have GJ which means that J cannot be in the 1st week.  Also, you know that M (I think) happens twice.  There are only 7 weeks so J cannot happen more than 2 times (this is actually one of the questions) because if it does,you'd have MM GJ GJ GJ and the necessary T.  That's would end up being 9 weeks.  Hope that helps.