Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dual Degrees  (Read 1292 times)

Principled.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fundamentals, period.
    • View Profile
Dual Degrees
« on: January 28, 2008, 10:59:28 AM »
Is anyone planning for joint degree study while in law school? Anyone already did it?

Please share the following:

what you are/planning to study
expected year of graduation
expected career field
where you will attend/where you want to attend

I'm planning to study public policy; expect to start my program by 2009 and end by 2013, and I want to go into policymaking. Hope to attend Gtown or GW if I can get my score up (wayyy up).

One of my bigger concerns is financial aid. My program lasts 4 years, so I don't want to get into the situation where I have to fork out tuition money for the extra year I'll be staying.  I'd like to think that when they accept you for joint degree study, the financial aid takes this into account, but I have heard some unusual stories.
"(s)he's arguing...(s)he's making an argument."

"...I'm so ready to promise my all & I'm so ready to give 'til the day that my life is no more... I'll be everything that this woman could possibly be...cause I'm ready to be like the olden days when commitment was golden" ~Chrisette Michele

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
Re: Dual Degrees
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:09:54 AM »
A lot of schools fully fund their PhD students, so I imagine you'd be funded from that department should you go to a school that does this.  That means you may be in a position to have to pay only your law tuition.

AWT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 03:17:42 PM »
I know this thread is pretty old, but I figure it can't hurt to respond anyways.....

I'm planning to pursue a JD & MA is Urban and Regional Planning, which is a 4 year course of study, so graduating in 2013. After that I may potentially follow up with a PhD in planning, but I'm just going to wait until I'm done with my masters before making that decision.

I'm interested in going into academia, teaching either in planning schools or law schools or a combination of the two, but if that didn't pan out/I change my mind, I'd definitely to have a job that made use of both degrees... possibly something along the lines of land use law or working for a city's legal department. I can only imagine work using the combination as I find neither law nor planning truly compelling on its own.

The joint degree is definitely affecting which schools I apply to because I have to pick planning programs based on the areas of focus of the professors at the planning schools. I'm looking at UNC, UPenn, UT-Austin, and Columbia for their planning schools, and I'll be applying to their law schools as well (all of which I really like for a number of reasons so it's not like I'm "settling"). I'm also going to apply to Michigan, BC and Yale, all of whom will let me pursue a planning degree at a different university (Michigan has a planning program but it isn't a good fit for me academically). I'm also applying to Berkeley's planning school, which is a great fit, but not their law school, which isn't. Yale, Columbia, Michigan, UT and maybe UPenn are also great because of the extra effort they put into producing academicians, so that was also a factor I considered. Oh, and I'm also applying to Duke because a) I've been in love with that school since Shane Battier was a junior and b) they sent me a fee waiver c) they miiiiiight just let me do a joint degree with UNC and d) I also really love North Carolina.

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 06:13:49 PM »
I have a friend who did a dual JD/MBA @ a T20, she is now a Managing Directer of a Financial Firm here in NYC. From what folks are saying she is in the low $200's in terms of salary. She says it was GRUELING, but she got through it..