Law School Discussion

Anyone been out of country during decision period? What did you do??

I might be out of country and wondering what to do about decision letters. 
What is the chance that I will be contacted to have an interview? 
How long do I have to answer an acceptance letter?  What is everything that is required in it?

If anyone has any knowledge on this, it'd be really helpful. 
Thank you.

dubsy

• View Profile
Re: Anyone been out of country during decision period? What did you do??
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 12:05:25 AM »
for how long will you be gone for? if you need to be contacted via phone, they'll either email you first or they'll just leave you a voicemail that you can hopefully check.  you can also always have your mail forwarded from the US to wherever you are... not a big deal. you also have a few months before you need to sign anything, so it really depends how long you'll be gone for, and what schools you have applied to. i would look into each school's decision notification method and whether they conduct interviews, if i were you.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 02:53:25 AM »
I'm out of the country for the year, and I used my parents' US home address for all my law school mail. It's far better than having the mail sent to me directly (the mail system here is not terribly reliable) but it's an imperfect system: my parents aren't always the best about conveying the information, and I'm sure they dislike being the bearer of bad news.

You likely won't be contacted for an interview but if you are I can't imagine any ad comm would view that as a problem--they could always condunct the interview over the phone.

Good luck!

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 08:06:34 AM »
I've been living in Central America during the whole process and, as the last poster wrote, have had the mail sent to my dad's house. Since my dad is a sailor and only comes home to check the mail every once in a while, this can be nerve-wracking, but so far I've been fortunate to have already heard from almost all of the schools to which I applied. The converse of the bearer of bad news issue, of course, is that whenever I get accepted to a school, he's even more excited than I am. He's been glowing for the past few weeks.

Most schools will give you until the end of April or start of May to make a decision and most don't request interviews. If they want to interview you, they'll probably shoot you an email. As for acceptance letters, you'll probably just have to sign a form and send in a deposit.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 11:07:58 AM »
If family isn't an option you could email the schools and ask them for PDFs or to email you any important information. Most won't normally do so but if you explain you're out of the country they're likely to be much more willing.

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 03:23:14 PM »
I was out of the country last year when I applied.  I had some mail sent to my parents house, but some schools also sent my mail directly to me in Europe.  It took a little longer, but it wasn't a problem.  The biggest worry I had was with waitlists over the summer.  I emailed schools and asked them to contact me by email instead of by mail so I could get back to them more quickly, and none of them had a problem with that. 

Usually deposits aren't due until April, so you will have plenty of time to answer acceptance letters.  Answering an acceptance letter usually involves signing a form they send you saying you want to attend, and mailing them a deposit check (or sometimes you can pay your deposits online).  If you get an acceptance really close to a deadline, just email the school and explain your circumstance.  I'm sure they will work something out for you. 

Most schools don't interview, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.  If they do, just ask for a phone interview instead.  I'm sure in your situation they could work something out.