Law School Discussion

botbot

• View Profile
Re: UCLA/USC Top 75% = Biglaw?
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 10:36:34 AM »
I can tell you from personal experience at USC that anyone in the top 75% of the class can get a BigLaw job if they have decent interview skills and are on top of their job search.  In fact, I don't know anyone who wanted a BigLaw job in LA that couldn't get one.  Might be harder to get a certain job at a specific firm, or at certain firms on the East Coast, w/out a better GPA, but LA and SF BigLaw is pretty much wide open to the top 75%.

Explain the various USC posters that have expressed issues at getting BIGLAW from the median.

Edit: and the data coming out of the school that would contradict what you are saying.

GOB

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 11:55:20 AM »
I can tell you from personal experience at USC that anyone in the top 75% of the class can get a BigLaw job if they have decent interview skills and are on top of their job search.  In fact, I don't know anyone who wanted a BigLaw job in LA that couldn't get one.  Might be harder to get a certain job at a specific firm, or at certain firms on the East Coast, w/out a better GPA, but LA and SF BigLaw is pretty much wide open to the top 75%.

Maybe in LA, but I doubt top 75% equals BigLaw in SF unless your definition of BigLaw includes smaller, more regional shops that pay less than $145.

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 07:25:08 PM »
thanks for your response trojan3L. it is still hard for me to believe that the top 75% at USC can get biglaw, even in LA. that's extremely high. but if you have the facts to prove it, i will be less of a skeptic.

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 12:52:33 AM »

I have family in California, so I've really checked out USC and I would say that at least for LA, this is credited for sure...

...just curious botbot, but what contradictory data are you referring to?

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 01:22:29 AM »
In terms of proof, most of what I have is my anecdotal experience for what its worth.  It could be that more people than I realize are not getting BigLaw jobs in spite of their best efforts, but our class is pretty small (~190) and almost everyone I know (except for the public interest & entertainment industry die-hards) is working in LA or SF next year (a handful will be in NYC) and is making between 145 and 160K.

It's hard to get more concrete proof because the career services office only releases the average GPAs of students heading to certain firms' offices, namely offices that are hiring 5+ students, the reasoning being that if CSO released the average GPA for firms where only one or two students were hired it would easy to figure out someone's GPA.  Since the class is so small, a lot of BigLaw firms (individual offices, that is) end up hiring less than 5 trojans.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 01:25:26 AM »

I have family in California, so I've really checked out USC and I would say that at least for LA, this is credited for sure...

...just curious botbot, but what contradictory data are you referring to?

CSO data sheet...