Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BU Law taking questions  (Read 11881 times)

ccllnd

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: BU Law taking questions
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 04:37:49 PM »
As someone who is in all likelihood attending next fall I was wondering a couple of things:

Have you found the alumni network to be helpful at all?

Aside from the tower, how are the facilities at the school? (gym, health services, etc)

I'll be an older student (30) - is there a sizeable minority of older students or just a couple of us here and there?

Is there ANY parking at the school?  Just want to know when I go searching for housing...

Thanks I hope this is helping you get over that f'ing debacle last night....

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 11:38:17 AM »
 Since BU does not have a specific single date for admitted student visits, but suggests an range of dates, do you have a suggestion on when it is the best to visit the school?

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 03:29:03 PM »
As someone who is in all likelihood attending next fall I was wondering a couple of things:

Have you found the alumni network to be helpful at all?

Aside from the tower, how are the facilities at the school? (gym, health services, etc)

I'll be an older student (30) - is there a sizeable minority of older students or just a couple of us here and there?

Is there ANY parking at the school?  Just want to know when I go searching for housing...

Thanks I hope this is helping you get over that f'ing debacle last night....

There isn't really an alumni network in the sense that they actually help much. There are a lot of alumni in Boston and NYC though. But I would never rely on them for anything.

The new gym is fantastic. Its probably the only good thing about the campus. I am not a fan of the style of the campus, but that facility is great.

Parking sucks, but if you end up at BU, there is no point in having a car. Just take the T to school. Its not as bad as people say.

There are always a few over 30s in the class. You won't be alone, but you will be in the minority. I think its that way at a lot of schools.

As for dates when to visit, i would try to visit as early as possible to get an idea of what the school is like when the students are here.

dullashell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 04:08:06 PM »
There isn't really an alumni network in the sense that they actually help much. There are a lot of alumni in Boston and NYC though. But I would never rely on them for anything.

I do have to counter this negative assessment with my own experience.  I went to the alum network event in NYC, and people were very helpful for the most part (plus free booze).  Some told me where to go to find good outlines (LR database from 2Ls/3Ls).  Some told me to send them my resume after I get my first year grades.  I got my 1L summer position before grades even came out, in no small part due to a BU partner at the firm I'm joining (he's also an acquaintance of my dad).

I'm not trying to discredit Bosox, as much of the information he provided was helpful to me when I was looking into law school.  That said, his recruiting experience seems different than most of the 2Ls and 3Ls I know here.

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 05:00:29 PM »

I do have to counter this negative assessment with my own experience.  I went to the alum network event in NYC, and people were very helpful for the most part (plus free booze).  Some told me where to go to find good outlines (LR database from 2Ls/3Ls).  Some told me to send them my resume after I get my first year grades.  I got my 1L summer position before grades even came out, in no small part due to a BU partner at the firm I'm joining (he's also an acquaintance of my dad).

I'm not trying to discredit Bosox, as much of the information he provided was helpful to me when I was looking into law school.  That said, his recruiting experience seems different than most of the 2Ls and 3Ls I know here.

Thats great. That is not something that I had ever heard happening at our school. Schools with large sports programs seem to have these huge alumni basis that schools like ours lack. Not sure what that is all about. (Michigan, ND, BC, etc.) But I personally think focusing on alumni should not be too important to people choosing a school.

Thats a cool story, Dull!

dullashell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 08:35:06 AM »
If you're talking about university alum network generally, I agree that Michigan, ND, etc., have wider networks.  But if it's legal network specifically, BU law has around 20,000 alive alumni, which is probably among the 10 largest.  There are alum associations and events even in California.  However, with any networking activity, you'll have to meet 50 people to get one that is helpful to your career.  In the end though, I think more alums mean better chances of an alum reviewing your resume or interviewing you for a position.  Boston, NYC, DC (and to a lesser extent, CA) firms are packed with BU/BC lawyers with somewhat similar numers.  That's why I would say that BU/BC students face very similar employment prospects all around.     

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2008, 11:23:41 AM »
bump

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2008, 11:27:34 AM »
how depressed is your city right now?  :D

Lol. It was bad right after but now we are over it. The city is primarily made up of students who really aren't major pats fans. the real fans are the locals, who live in the suburbs and talk with horrid accents. They are the ones depressed.

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2008, 10:09:49 AM »
Hopefully not. Go Sox!

Bosox

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2008, 10:12:06 AM »
hopefully not. Go sox!