Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Schools gaming rankings with WLs?  (Read 1297 times)

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Schools gaming rankings with WLs?
« on: January 27, 2008, 12:14:38 PM »
Please don't take this as complaining, I just wanted to throw this out to the assembled group and see what people thought. At an accepted students day recently, I was talking to another admit and we found that we'd had an eerily similar last couple weeks. In that period we had both been wait-listed at Penn, UCLA, and Northwestern, after having been asked to apply by both schools. I've been on the fence about what to make of a school sending you a fee waiver and then denying you admission. However, he was adamant that the schools were trying to game the rankings by driving up the number of applicants that they denied admission to. I hadn't intended to apply to two out of those three, and had done so after being asked to. I'm a bit miffed if this is what happened, since I did have to spend 12 bucks an application, work on them, etc. As a side note, I don't want to do the numbers thing, but we're both in to higher-ranked schools. Curious what people think - any chance that some of these places are gaming things by asking people to apply?

CLS Troll v2.0

• View Profile
Re: Schools gaming rankings with WLs?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 12:16:10 PM »
How else do you think Penn keeps its ~12% acceptance rate? 

aporia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 12:30:14 PM »
Yeah, I don't think there's much doubt about what's going on here.  Schools go both ways on it (i.e. sending out fee waivers to students whose numbers suggest that they are overqualified for the school and those whose numbers make them a long shot for admission), but it's certainly happening. 

OnTheRoad, if you don't mind my asking, what are your #s?  Are you targeting HYS?  Just curious about where they're drawing the line for this.  I received a fee waiver to Northwestern and UCLA, but not Penn, and got into both. 
Columbia 2011

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 12:39:45 PM »
Being "asked" to apply doesn't mean anything. It doesn't change your chances of being admitted. You should be able to access those chances yourself pretty accurately.

Schools may give fee waivers for any number of reasons. One may well be to increase application rates, yes. It also may make applying financially feasible for a large group of people, draw attention to a school people may have not considered initially, etc. It's more reasonable to think of it as a form of advertisement than any indication of your chances, and you can ascribe some of that to wanting to decrease the acceptance rate if you want, but you should probably also ascribe some of it to wanting the best candidate pool they can get so they can have the best class they can get.

Schools maintain waitlists to make sure they don't over-enroll. They can generally guess at what their accepted/matriculating yield will be, but hitting the target number can be tricky. If a school accepted everyone that met their qualifications, they'd likely end up with far more students than they intended/can accommodate.

omg! Penn games the rankings! Penn inflates all of their numbers! Penn is way overrated! omg!

CLS Troll v2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 12:42:02 PM »

omg! Penn games the rankings! Penn inflates all of their numbers! Penn is way overrated! omg!

touchy, touchy.  I didn't say anything at all about Penn being overrated. 

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 12:50:57 PM »

No? That would be the implication, if Penn artificially lowers their acceptance rate to game the rankings.

Also, I'll show you touchy!

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 12:55:54 PM »

No? That would be the implication, if Penn artificially lowers their acceptance rate to game the rankings.

I maintain that people on this board dislike Penn for doing nothing different than most schools do (and yes, I've read "that article").

QueenoftheCourt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 01:00:05 PM »
I was convinced (by many on this board) that Penn YPs. But many people with high numbers got in this year. I don't think its a matter of YP as much as a screening process based on who wrote a "Why Penn?" essay.
Harvard Law 2011!

(Formerly known as CalGirl86)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=calgal86

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 01:20:35 PM »
penn's totally overrated.  i mean they're a great school and all but tied with chicago?  come on.

also, penn stole my application fee by waitlisting me for no good reason other than the fact that i was obviously totally uninterested in them.  i'm bitter and angry and i'm totally going to take it out on cady later.

I'm looking forward to it!

--

I was convinced (by many on this board) that Penn YPs. But many people with high numbers got in this year. I don't think its a matter of YP as much as a screening process based on who wrote a "Why Penn?" essay.

I've said it before (rather emphatically)--there may be some element of what people call YP going on. But in all of my interactions with the admissions office, I've been pretty well convinced that much of what people deem YP is attributed to Penn wanting a particular kind of class, and people being bitter about it.

Of course, troublemaker was totally YP'd and it was wrong.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 01:21:19 PM »

I maintain that people on this board dislike Penn for doing nothing different than most schools do (and yes, I've read "that article").

I dislike Penn because they don't adequately compensate Joe Paterno.

This, unlike the YP gripe, is totally legitimate.