Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reducing assets prior to FAFSA, NeedAccess, etc...  (Read 2444 times)

zer0vector

• View Profile
Reducing assets prior to FAFSA, NeedAccess, etc...
« on: January 26, 2008, 06:29:05 PM »
I'm trying to reduce some savings (~40K) prior to filing my FAFSA and other aid applications.  Is there anything wrong with giving chunks of the money away to three trusted people, keeping it under 12K each for tax reasons?  As long as they don't return the money for 3 years it shouldn't have any effect on my need status, right? 

siski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Reducing assets prior to FAFSA, NeedAccess, etc...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 09:50:11 PM »
Problem: it's unethical. You are falsely presenting yourself as poorer than you actually are.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 12:58:04 AM »
WHAT? 40K? Seriously.... totally unethical. Suck it up and pay for school.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

Bananas, Melonas, Yeah

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 08:06:33 PM »
I'm in a similar situation, and am curious about this.  I owe about $7K to my parents for helping me pay something off ahead of schedule.  I've been paying a few hundred a month, but I think it's wise to just unload my bank account toward that debt before filing for finaid. 

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 08:26:44 PM »
In that situation I say go for it. You'll feel better having it out of the way anyway.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

Shark Week

• Sr. Citizen
  • officially a Michigan troll now
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 08:35:13 PM »
I hope they keep your money.
Michigan '11

hbb

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 01:02:36 AM »
Retirement accounts are generally not considered assets for financial aid purposes.Contribution limits for Roth IRA's are $5000 this year, and contributions (not earnings) can be withdrawn at any time, for any reason. I may be mistaken, but I believe the contribution deadline is the same as your tax filing deadline, meaning you could make a prior year contribution in the amount of $4000 (lower limit in 2007) and a contribution this year in the amount of $5000, removing $9000 from consideration as assets eligible for your law school expenses. Your primary residence is also exempt in most cases - if you own your home, you could easily reduce your current assets as considered on the FAFSA to $0.

$40,000 of savings will most likely make you ineligible for Subsidized Stafford Loans as well as Perkins Loans. Several EFC calculators can be found on the web, should you wish to see the effect these proposed changes may have on your eligibility.

edit: I've not yet looked over the NeedAccesss forms in any detail; my post refers mainly to the FAFSA.

techpers0n

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 05:21:44 PM »
I'm trying to reduce some savings (~40K) prior to filing my FAFSA and other aid applications.  Is there anything wrong with giving chunks of the money away to three trusted people, keeping it under 12K each for tax reasons?  As long as they don't return the money for 3 years it shouldn't have any effect on my need status, right? 

Call a tax professional/lawyer. They can tell you if this is legal or not. If it is legal then do it. If not then don't. Why would what we think matter?