Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone gotten into law school with "mature student" status and NO undergrad?  (Read 7048 times)

marianne

• View Profile
Hi

I am thinking about going to law school, hence why I am here on this site reading up on the LSATS and what not.  Great to meet you guys.  Thanks for having me!

I'm 24 years old, will be 25 in March.  I have absolutely no post-secondary education whatsover.  I completed high school in 2000, then went on to make records and tour the world, lived in various cities (Toronto, Vancouver, New York, Brussels, Ottawa, and now currently LA), worked in a million jobs in the in-between, from waitressing to being glorified receptionist in financial companies to starting my own massage service, and I'm looking for a change.  For my own purposes, I've been more or less studying entertainment law on my own time, and I have quite a bit of experience, at this point, in reading and negotiating contracts, for my employers and also myself (licensing deals, etc...), and I've found that, strangely enough, I love this.  I'm good at this.  I want to make something like a career out of something like this.  But, I repeat, I have ABSOLUTELY NO POST-SECONDARY education whatsover. 

So.. I would like to go straight to law school.  I've heard that it may be possible (depending on LSAT scores, of course), to do this, to skip the whole undergrad degree thing altogether.  And so my question is, have any of you done this?  Or, anyone doing this?  Heard of this?  Any advice for someone who has never been to university? 

Thanks so much!

Upset T14 Student

• View Profile
    • Email
Score a 175+ and im sure the LSAT whores will take a good look.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
In America or Canada?
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I hate to say this, but Cooley doesn't require a College Degree. Right??

marianne

• View Profile
I was thinking, say, U of T (unlikely??) or York, or UCLA in LA (though I'm more thinking of studying in Canada, for what should be obvious economical reasons I think), being that these are both cities I actually live in (I'm now bi-coastal-- Toronto/LA, more or less), and I don't really want to move all that badly.  But maybe I should be thinking of branching out...? 

I suppose the minimum I can do is just do a really great LSAT and make a good case for myself, right?

Thanks a lot for the tips guys... very helpful.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
If you want to go to the US, Cooley may be your only option.
LSN

PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

yoyodawg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I was thinking, say, U of T (unlikely??) or York, or UCLA in LA (though I'm more thinking of studying in Canada, for what should be obvious economical reasons I think), being that these are both cities I actually live in (I'm now bi-coastal-- Toronto/LA, more or less), and I don't really want to move all that badly.  But maybe I should be thinking of branching out...? 

I suppose the minimum I can do is just do a really great LSAT and make a good case for myself, right?

Thanks a lot for the tips guys... very helpful.

That or you could just go to college. Oh wait....that would require you to do some actual work. Nevermind, bad idea. 

yoyodawg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Tulane does not require a bacholors

"Most candidates for admission will hold a baccalaureate degree from an institution that is a member of its regional accrediting association by the time they will enroll in the JD program.  However, some exceptional students may be admitted on the basis of having completed three-quarters of the work toward a four-year baccalaureate degree. (At least 90 percent of this work must be in courses of substantial intellectual content.)  In other words, Tulane Law School is willing to consider for admission exceptional candidates who will have completed only three-quarters of the work required for a bachelor's degree."

http://www.law.tulane.edu/tlsadmissions/index.aspx?id=208&ekmensel=c580fa7b_16_18_208_2

Must be a New Orleans thing because Loyola New Orleans does the same thing. They will allow you to enroll in Law School once you have 3/4rs of your undergrad degree finished. However, you have to finish your undergrad degree at Loyola while you're getting your law degree.

Neither of these situations applies to the OP. He says he has NO college experience. So he couldn't do it. I guess if he was really gung ho about it, he could "read law" at a law office for a few years and then try taking the bar in a state that still allows this option. That being said, if OP really wants to go to law school, he should just do like everyone else, and go to college first.

That or he or she could continue posting ludicrous hypotheticals on internet discussion boards.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Tulane does not require a bacholors

But she would still need 3 years of undergrad, which she does not have.

BTW... I think mid-20s is way to young to be considered a "mature student." Many schools' average student age is 24.
LSN

TeresaPinfold

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Oxford Law is pretty prestigious, and they don't require an undergrad degree.