Law School Discussion

Duke or Virginia???

• View Profile
Duke or Virginia???
« on: January 26, 2008, 02:15:26 AM »
Which school is better if you want to live in either Texas or Chicago (and why)?

Re: Duke or Virginia???
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 06:20:09 AM »
I'm biased, and even though these two schools are fairly close, I'd say UVA wins by a slight prestige point. There are a lot of alums in Texas, and it's really easy to get a biglaw job there if you have connections. We have 1L's here who just finished their first semester, didn't get a single grade back, and got 4 biglaw offers over the winter break in TX. Don't know about Chicago. I imagine it's not as tough, because not a lot of people want to live there.

K?

• Do You Believe Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 09:37:30 AM »
I agree.  I think Duke probably has the better layman's prestige (at least here in the Midwest) but UVa's definitely the better school all around and will give you better opportunities around the country.

If one gives you money and the other doesn't, it's probably close enough that you should just take the money.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 10:57:47 AM »
I agree.  I think Duke probably has the better layman's prestige (at least here in the Midwest) but UVa's definitely the better school all around and will give you better opportunities around the country.

If one gives you money and the other doesn't, it's probably close enough that you should just take the money.

I agree with this about prestige...up here (in Canada), a common comment with Duke is..."Duke, that's almost as good as Harvard right?"...UVa however, "University of Virginia....never heard of it. Are they good? ....conversation continues...you're not just going there because you can't get into any Canadian schools are you?"

Very annoying, because Virginia seems like a better school from my research....although they are very very close IMO. As for placement in Texas though, I think Duke places a little better??? (That's what I gathered from the UsNews stats...a greater % of their grads go there).

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 11:29:58 AM »
Which school is better if you want to live in either Texas or Chicago (and why)?

If you have connections to either, UVa is the way to go.

If you don't have connections to Texas yet would like to work here, there can be an argument made for Duke.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 09:42:15 AM »

This is really good advice

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 10:39:15 AM »

According to Brian Leiter, this would be an easy choice...

From JD Jungle Magazine: "Using Leiter's method, Duke, which Leiter says is regarded by legal scholars as "clearly overrated," falls from a tie for tenth place on the U.S. News list to fifteenth, trading places with Leiter's own University of Texas."

UVA's alumni network and prestige in the legal community completely overshadow Duke's.  But if you're only concern in impressing grandma, then maybe you should consider Duke.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 11:36:08 AM »

From JD Jungle Magazine: "Using Leiter's method, Duke, which Leiter says is regarded by legal scholars as "clearly overrated," falls from a tie for tenth place on the U.S. News list to fifteenth, trading places with Leiter's own University of Texas."

UVA's alumni network and prestige in the legal community completely overshadow Duke's.  But if you're only concern in impressing grandma, then maybe you should consider Duke.

The only thing you're forgetting is that "grandma" may not be your grandma, but instead a business man or higher profile client that your firm wants business from...I've been told that the client's perceptions actually matter quite a bit.

Now, I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with your conclusion (I'm still not sure which school I think is better, hence the post), but I do disagree with your suggestion that layman pretige is of little value.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 11:49:17 AM »

The only thing you're forgetting is that "grandma" may not be your grandma, but instead a business man or higher profile client that your firm wants business from...I've been told that the client's perceptions actually matter quite a bit.

Now, I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with your conclusion (I'm still not sure which school I think is better, hence the post), but I do disagree with your suggestion that layman pretige is of little value.

You need to get the job before you worry about what the clients at said job want. Duke sounds better, but UVa places better.

True...but how much better is "better"...I don't think Duke grads need to worry about getting a job???

(at this point I'm openning the door for you to convince me that the difference really is quite significant...feel free to step through it)

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 01:10:11 PM »

That's quite a stretch. I seriously doubt that a potential client scrutinizes a law firm's lawyer profile page and assesses whether the undergraduate component of the lawyers' law school is prestigious. If there are clients that do that, I wouldn't want to work for a law firm with such a TTT client book anyway!  Furthermore, the in-house counsel of each client are the ones who choose which outside to counsel to hire, and in-house counsel are LAWYERS, who are well aware of the fact that Duke, while up and coming, is in a different league than UVA. Based on your logic, one would actually consider choosing Duke over NYU, which is just plain silly.

So yes -- I totally dismiss lay prestige, and so should anyone choosing between UVA or Duke.  By the way, I'm not even sure I concede that Duke has greater lay prestige than UVA.  It's not like Harvard and Yale for God's sake!  Most pure laymen associate Duke primarily with basketball and the rape scandal nowadays anyway!