Law School Discussion

What about New York Law School?

Waiting for Those Letters

• Cardozo Class of 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN!!!!
Re: What about New York Law School?
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 09:22:49 PM »
JDforme - I basically agree, and I did apply to Brooklyn (letting it be known I could start PT), but don't you have to be in the top 15% or so, whether it's Brooklyn or NYLS, to get the $$?

So, the 10,000 scholarship that I got is contigent upon maintaining a 3.2 GPA. The letter states that if I am placed at the conclusion of the spring sememster in the top 15% of my class, then I can participate in another program, where I will eligble in receiving more $. Now, if I will have at least a 3.10 , then the scholarship I was awarded intially, will be reduced to 5,000 a yr.

If a 3rd tier grad is reading this thread, please post your thoughts on the job prospects after graduation. I think someone from a 2nd or 1st tier will not provide the most accurate info, in my opinion.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 12:22:57 PM »

Also I am ready to guess with a lot of confidence that he would not put the "part time" on his resume. So this is a way to "trick" an employer (a legit way).

My part time status is featured prominently on my cover letter. If anything, it can be spun as an advantage.

Also, you are greatly mistaken if you believe that GULC PT gets similar students to Emory. Even the numbers are not close.

And to clarify my earlier post, the reason NYLS is so bad is the sky high tuition and sky high cost of living coupled with career prospects that are as bad or worse as much less expensive options.

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 12:31:43 PM »
It's quite possibly the worst value in american legal education (barring a few non accredited schools)

NY Law School's bar passage rate was actually 90% for July 2007 test takers. Please now.

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 12:34:23 PM »
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2007/12/new-york-law-sc.html

NY Law School - # 5 in the state, above St. Johns, Fordham, Pace, Brooklyn...etc.

• Cardozo Class of 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN!!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 12:35:19 PM »
So, instead of NYLS, which of the other tier 3 or tier 4 schools would you choose in NY?

Also I am ready to guess with a lot of confidence that he would not put the "part time" on his resume. So this is a way to "trick" an employer (a legit way).

My part time status is featured prominently on my cover letter. If anything, it can be spun as an advantage.

Also, you are greatly mistaken if you believe that GULC PT gets similar students to Emory. Even the numbers are not close.

And to clarify my earlier post, the reason NYLS is so bad is the sky high tuition and sky high cost of living coupled with career prospects that are as bad or worse as much less expensive options.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 12:56:25 PM »
CUNY

4,500 per semester for NY residents.
Same job prospects as NYLS

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 01:06:31 PM »
NYLS has better job placement than CUNY Law

• Cardozo Class of 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN!!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 01:20:37 PM »

Proof??

NYLS has better job placement than CUNY Law

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 01:27:59 PM »
According to the ABA guide:
7% unemployed after 9months from CUNY, 4% from NYLS

Probably not even statistically significant given class sizes of a bit over 100. Certainly not over $100,000 in tuition better.

Sergio

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 01:31:27 PM »
CUNY is specialized for public interest law.  It's probably very rare for any of them to have a shot at a firm.