Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Vault 100 question (would have asked on the other board, but it's a lil slow)  (Read 956 times)

UNAS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Why so much emphasis on the prestige of the firm. Is there something that I am not getting? Given most firms pay the same with the exception of 2 or 3, wouldn't it make more sense to pursue depth/quality of work and quality of life. Is it profit per partner? What is it that I am missing?

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I still ask the same question. I think it's just prestige. Personally, if the firm pays the same i wouldn't care if it was V10 or V100 or unranked. But for some reason, Vault measures the "prestige" level of a firm.

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I think it's largely about profits per partner.  Many firms can match the $160K starting, but very few are able to offer PPP above $2 million.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
exit options
Columbia 3L

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
But what if I don't do well in LS?

What if you trip over your shoelaces and hit your head and get brain damage?

What if there's massive reform of the legal system before you graduate and they get rid of all lawyers?

What if a genie comes out of a bottle and turns you into a titmouse?

What if all of the law schools you were accepted to burn to the ground?

What if the world ends tomorrow?!

(Speculate about those things. It will be more fun. For me, anyway. Especially the titmouse part.)

Eggshell Shin Vosburg

• View Profile
exit options

Exactly. The clients you will draw and the breadth / quality of the work you see all will greatly enhance your exit options. Also, if you choose to stay (and by some miracle make partner), you'll make a heck of a lot more money.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
But what if I don't do well in LS?

What if you trip over your shoelaces and hit your head and get brain damage?

What if there's massive reform of the legal system before you graduate and they get rid of all lawyers?

What if a genie comes out of a bottle and turns you into a titmouse?

What if all of the law schools you were accepted to burn to the ground?

What if the world ends tomorrow?!

(Speculate about those things. It will be more fun. For me, anyway. Especially the titmouse part.)

Thanks a lot.  How the hell am I supposed to sleep at night now?

You have to be prepared for all possibilities, dude. Make a plan. Then you'll be able to sleep.