Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accepted at Baylor $$!  (Read 4859 times)

Brain Age

• View Profile
Re: Accepted at Baylor $$!
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 03:57:36 PM »
Just a quick question...

Does it say 2.6 GPA requirement in the email you guys got? Because I re-read my email and it said 2.0 GPA requirement (although they also said that would be top half of the class, which makes no sense to me). I'm assuming that they made a typo in my email...

My email said 2.0 as well. I was very confused until I got my acceptance packet today, which definitively gives a 2.6 requirement. Given Baylor's reputation as the boot camp of law schools, I really do hope that top half will be easy to maintain. Cost of attendance is ridiculous, and I wouldn't be able to afford losing any portion of my scholarship.

Brain Age

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 04:08:50 PM »
I've also been accepted with a full scholarship. Was excited at first, but not so much after hearing about how hard it is at the school. I'd be worried about losing the scholarship somehow. And placement-wise, it doesn't seem to have a strong BIGLAW track-record. Nonetheless, a great school, if you want to be in Texas. Too bad, i'm from California. I'll definitely be considering it if I don't get into any of my reach schools.

Anyone else considering going? I think this could be great thread to research and figure out if this would be a good option for us. How can they afford to give away so much money?

After reading several threads on TLS/LSD on Baylor's reputation/placement, I'd have to say that you're right. Baylor just doesn't seem to have the kind of BIGLAW placement that other similarly ranked Texas schools do. I'm researching the school myself and would appreciate contributions to this thread!

Here are good threads on placement & scholarships:
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,100710.0.html

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6250&hilit=baylor+scholarship

What are your thoughts on Baylor's quarter system and tough curve?

cat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 07:24:38 PM »
I also got $$ from Baylor and went to one of the admitted student's days.  I was pretty impressed with the school and all the professors I met.  Asst Dean Jackson was really straight forward and talked to us about the reputation for hard work and PC program.  I'd recommend visiting just to hear her opinions. The tough curve has been step adjusted for future classes, I think that started last year so shouldn't be an issue going forward.
Here's kind of my thoughts:

Pros
 - smaller class and more availability of professors (most profs have some real law firm experience, or are currently still with a firm, esp. IP prof, which is my interest)
 - OCI firms almost anywhere want to see only top 10-25%, easier to be in top of class
 - litigation experience is useful even if I decide to go transactional, can't be bullied by using the word "court" across the table, been there done that
 - able to hit the ground running straight out of school and probably less hand holding from other associates, ALWAYS a good thing (harder to transisiton from a 20 hour/week 3L year to a 60 hour/week job)
 - if you hate a class/prof, only have to be in it 10 weeks as opposed to 15

Con
 - lower rank
 - Waco
 - more work

I am still on the fence.

NewGirl2007

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 08:06:24 PM »
The tough curve has been step adjusted for future classes, I think that started last year so shouldn't be an issue going forward.
Here's kind of my thoughts:

Please excuse my complete ignorance on this subject... ;-) But how does the curve relate to the GPA (ie can any number of students in a class get a 2.6 or is it somehow worked out that only a certain percentage can?)

And what does a "step adjusted" curve mean? Thanks! :)

Oh...  I just read the links and now have one other question if anyone knows. Someone mentioned that Baylor is on a quarter system and some students just take classes straight through the summer rather than working (which I know isn't the greatest idea). But theoretically, does this mean someone could finish at Baylor faster than in 3 years?

Brain Age

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 12:01:48 AM »

I asked a few questions from a TLS'er who's gone to an Open House. NewGirl, your question about early graduation is addressed.

Quote from: Brain Age
Thanks, hurley.

A couple of things:
1. What did the students think about the quarter system? Did they feel at all as if they were at a disadvantage?
2. What did they think about the rough curve?

Quote from: hurley325
1.  There was some disagreement on this, but I would say a majority of the students I talked to liked it.  Some negatives that they mentioned were that it seemed like you were always cramming for finals. Also, since the rest of campus is on the semester system there would be times when you would be studying for finals and UG students would not be.  This could cause problems if you lived in an apartment with UG's or were studying in a public place or on campus outside of the law school.  Some of the benefits that they mentioned were that you can graduate in 27 months, although this isn't recommended.  You have less time to forget the information from the beginning of the quarter.  They did mention that 2L summer jobs are not impacted.  If you choose to take the summer off then you have a normal summer just like other schools.  If you choose to go to classes in the summer there is still a break between summer finals and the start of the fall quarter so that you can work.  In addition, if you decide to take off a different quarter, jobs are a lot easier to come by because most other students will be in class, so there is less competition for the jobs (although there are also less jobs available).

2. The only thing they really said about the curve was that most Texas employers know about Baylor's curve, so it really has no effect on job searching in Texas.  Outside of the state you could still run into problems.

cat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 06:58:57 AM »
And what does a "step adjusted" curve mean? Thanks!

AFAIK, there's been an upward trend in avg GPAs at law schools that make the same caliber of students seem more competitive when applying for jobs. Baylor has resisted the upward trend and now they see how this impacts their graduates negatively in the marketplace. So a "step adjustment" would imply that they allow the profs to give more As and Bs so the average overall matches other law schools.

NewGirl2007

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 01:18:06 AM »
Wow, this is really helpful! Thanks Brain Age & Cat!

tiredofwaiting

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 01:31:28 PM »
Hi. Just got in Baylor Summer with 1/2 tuition scholarship. My email also said 2.0 (not 2.6).  I have not received the official letter yet - it may read 2.6, which is a big difference. This was a reach school as I fall at the 25th percentile for GPA and median for LSAT. I AM EXTREMELY WORRIED about maintaining and failing.

My first choice is UH, but I have not heard back. Money wise, Baylor at 50% tuition = UH full tuition. So no difference there.

So questions...
1. How many flunk out of Baylor, especially with the curve. Does their curve include F's or just low grades. (This may be a dumb question, but I have never worked with a true curve).

2. How much of their curriculum is geared toward litigation. I know this is what they are known for, but any way to avoid, b/c truthfully I was planning on staying away from litigation as much as possible.

I am planning on attending the Feb. 18 Visitation Day. I am from Houston and Baylor Law is a big deal. I don't really see myself in BigLaw though.

Is Baylor law really worth it, or am I a bit jaded.  UH or Baylor??? My current interest is in Employment/Labor Law.

I need advice!!!

Brain Age

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 11:17:17 AM »
tiredofwaiting (so am I), I am in the same situation. Houston is also my first choice, and I am in at Baylor with half-tuition.  I've been in review at Houston since mid-December, so I'm starting to freak out as the Baylor Summer deposit's due Feb. 22.

1. I've received the acceptance packet, and you need to maintain a 2.0 to keep your scholarship. From what I've heard on this board, a 2.0 or top half is totally reasonable and nothing you should sweat bullets over.

2. Baylor in general is known for a very practical approach grounded heavily in Texas law. It has a reputation with employers for producing graduates extremely prepared to practice law because of this. They have a strong emphasis on litigation, particular in the third year where students are required to participate in an intense trial clinical program. The curriculum as a whole is regimented; there are required courses for 2L's and 3L's whereas upperclassmen at other schools have free reign over their schedules. Check out the Baylor Law curriculum page. It should answer most of your questions: http://law.baylor.edu/Curriculum/Curriculum_firstYear.htm

You might want to think of attending one of the Open Houses for accepted students instead of the Visitation Day. Here's an email I got:

You are invited to spend the day with us at an Open House for newly-admitted students. 

The Open House will give you an opportunity to experience our excellent program firsthand.  You will meet with the Dean, attend a class, have lunch with faculty members, see our beautiful new facility, hear current students' perspectives, and ask any questions you might have.  You will find out why we believe the best belong at Baylor.

For your convenience, our Open House days are listed below.  If you are interested in joining us for an Open House, simply complete the form located at law.baylor.edu/ProspectiveStudents/PS_openHouse.htm by the deadline date for the Open House to which you want to attend.  To get more information about planning your trip to Waco , please go to law.baylor.edu/ProspectiveStudents/PS_comeVisit.htm.

Schedule of Open Houses
Friday, February 22, 2008 Deadline to register is February 20, 2008

Friday, March 7, 2008 Deadline to register is March 5, 2008

Monday, March 17, 2008 Deadline to register is March 12, 2008

Friday, March 28, 2008 Deadline to register is March 26, 2008

Friday, April 11, 2008 Deadline to register is April 9, 2008

Friday, April 25, 2008 Deadline to register is April 23, 2008

Monday, May 19, 2008 Deadline to register is May 14, 2008

Monday, June 9, 2008 Deadline to register is June 4, 2008

Each Open House will begin at 10:00 a.m. at the Law School and will end around 3:00 p.m.  Dress is casual.  Parents, spouses, or guests are invited to attend.

Please take time to join us.  I think you will find it is time well spent.  So many of our current law students have found that their Open House experience was "the clincher" in their decision to attend Baylor.  It's a fun day.  An informative day.  A most valuable day for all newly admitted students.

As for your Baylor vs. UH question, I think your decision will come down to your career/personal goals and how each respective school meets those goals. Do you want a hard-nosed approach that will mold you into a tough practitioner? (Google "the boot camp of law schools) Houston has a much larger offering of courses, including Employment/Labor Law, and I think will allow you to explore more areas of the law. From my research on this board/TLS, Houston seems to place better around the state. Also, would you rather live in a small, rural town or a large metropolitan city for the next 3 years? Would you mind living in a relatively conservative, evangelical environment?

I'm going to be asking a lot of those questions at the Open House.

tiredofwaiting

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 05:45:47 PM »
Brain Age...

Thank you for your comments. Seems we are very much in the same boat. THANKS FOR THE EMAIL. I did not know about the open house, so I will reschedule to attend instead of the visitation day.

The 2.0 makes me feel a lot better, but still have not received my package. No word from UH (part-time) either.

I am still leaning toward UH for all the reasons you mentioned. But at least I know I am in at Baylor if I choose. I am in at South Texas, which has a very respectable reputation in Houston. I am also waiting on Texas Tech. I was filling out my FAFSA today and attempting to create some prospective budget, all the money makes me lean toward Tech if I get in because of the super low tuition - 14K - thats a steal.

Keep me posted on your UH decision and where you will be attending. Are you in during summer at Baylor? PT or FT at UH?