Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Resume Advice for 10+ Years WE  (Read 884 times)

Elaine

• "Sweet fancy Moses"
    • View Profile
Resume Advice for 10+ Years WE
« on: October 01, 2004, 10:56:43 PM »
Does anyone have any recommendations for formatting  (chronological, functional, etc.) and content for someone with 15 years FT work experience? I've done a search under Pre-Law and see a lot of conflicting information in regards to length, content and format. I've been with the same company for the last 8 years in 3 positions of increasing responsibility, 6 years military service, and a couple of jobs in between (military and current company). Also have 2 graduate degrees. From what I've read in the posts in the group, it sounds like a lot of you here have similar backgrounds. I've been reading the posts here for several days and this is my first post.

If anyone could provide some advice, examples, links to other posts or sites, or share what you've done or will be doing it would be greatly appreciated. I'm assuming what an experienced professional would submit to LS would be somewhat different than a prospective employer.

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Resume Advice for 10+ Years WE
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 10:26:49 AM »
Does anyone have any recommendations for formatting  (chronological, functional, etc.) and content for someone with 15 years FT work experience? I've done a search under Pre-Law and see a lot of conflicting information in regards to length, content and format. I've been with the same company for the last 8 years in 3 positions of increasing responsibility, 6 years military service, and a couple of jobs in between (military and current company). Also have 2 graduate degrees. From what I've read in the posts in the group, it sounds like a lot of you here have similar backgrounds. I've been reading the posts here for several days and this is my first post.

If anyone could provide some advice, examples, links to other posts or sites, or share what you've done or will be doing it would be greatly appreciated. I'm assuming what an experienced professional would submit to LS would be somewhat different than a prospective employer.

Are you talking about a resume or PS?  My resume was the same for LS and job searches.

Education up top, interests / misc info (1-2 lines), then work experience starting with most recent.  At end, general skills etc that overlap all the jobs.

Elaine

• "Sweet fancy Moses"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 12:14:07 PM »
Resume. Thanks that's the type of input I'm looking for.

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 05:27:06 PM »
Resume. Thanks that's the type of input I'm looking for.

Don't let it get around that I've been helpful, it'll ruin my reputation.

luluhallmark

• GPA 3.8-LSAT:TOO ASHAMED TO POST!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 09:26:44 PM »
I have been a paralegal for too long.  The way we do law resumes is like this:

Name, address all contact info (centered)

Work History

Education

Clubs, Organizations

Proficiency

Applied:  Baylor, SMU, U of Tenn, Hofstra, U of Houston, Duke, Texas Tech, U of Ark-Fayetteville, George Mason, LSU, Washington and Lee, and Case Western
Denied:  None
Accepted:  None

LSAT SCORE:  DO OVER!!!