Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Index Numbers  (Read 456 times)

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
Index Numbers
« on: January 24, 2008, 10:50:13 AM »
Can someone please explain this to me?  What's an index number?  Is that just an LSN thing?

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Index Numbers
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 10:52:37 AM »
Some schools calculate an index number as a weighted combination of an applicants LSAT and GPA.  It's usually LSAT*X + GPA*Y = Index.  At some places LSAT counts more, and at others GPA counts more.

EDIT: It's essentially used to sort the applicant pool.  At a given school, anyone below a 3.0 index might be auto-reject, above 3.5 auto-admit, and the rest will be screened based on their application with the higher index number indicating higher admissions priority.

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 11:01:53 AM »
OK - is there any way to use the index numbers to gauge my changes of acceptance?  Because on LSN I have a HUGE variety of numbers!

Boyce Baylor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 11:03:37 AM »
I have two lengthy explanations on my lsn, I still don't understand them, but maybe you will  ;)

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 11:11:40 AM »
OK so I tried that for Emory.  It looks like of the people who have my same index, one was accepted and the others haven't heard yet.  So not sure I can draw a conclusion....lol

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 11:16:58 AM »
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/search_schools.php?action=search&school_code=5187&lsat1=&lsat2=&fee_waiver=0&status=0&gpa_lsdas1=&gpa_lsdas2=&attending=0&cycle=4&gpa_degree1=&gpa_degree2=&withdrawn=0&program=1&index1=2.9&index2=3.1&state=0&application_type=0&scholarship1=&scholarship2=&sex=0&multiple_lsat=0&urm=2&international=0&x=24&y=7

I think you should be fine, especially given your LSAT score.  It looks like most URM's with your index were admitted, some with scholarships.  Many of those URMs were black, though, so I'm not sure how much of a boost being Hispanic will get you.  Best of luck!