Law School Discussion

Which T14's are better than Texas for work in Texas?

Re: Which T14's are better than Texas for work in Texas?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 07:07:12 PM »
i think all posters here have underestimated the recruiting efforts/teams that ALL big firms in texas have in place to recruit utexas. these firms specifically target ut students, are active on campus, and RESERVE a certain percentage of their 1L/2L positions for UT kids. while obviously being from a t14 is helpful, all of those factors play a role. i firmly believe anything outside of top 3 or 5 would place no better, all things being equal.

that said, some t14 students may place better just because their ug resumes are better. obviously the t14 being "better" schools, they theoretically have better candidates. however, again, the efforts put in to specifically recruiting ut students bode well for a student with a stellar ug resume. also, it might be easier for said hypothetical candidate to perform better at ut, given its "lower" level of students, but, more importantly, bigger class size.

my two cents...

botbot

• View Profile
Re: Which T14's are better than Texas for work in Texas?
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 09:17:09 PM »
i think all posters here have underestimated the recruiting efforts/teams that ALL big firms in texas have in place to recruit utexas. these firms specifically target ut students, are active on campus, and RESERVE a certain percentage of their 1L/2L positions for UT kids. while obviously being from a t14 is helpful, all of those factors play a role. i firmly believe anything outside of top 3 or 5 would place no better, all things being equal.

that said, some t14 students may place better just because their ug resumes are better. obviously the t14 being "better" schools, they theoretically have better candidates. however, again, the efforts put in to specifically recruiting ut students bode well for a student with a stellar ug resume. also, it might be easier for said hypothetical candidate to perform better at ut, given its "lower" level of students, but, more importantly, bigger class size.

my two cents...

Those same firms are clamoring to snap up every quality t14 student, but there aren't enough to go around.

All things equal (meaning connections), a Texas firm would rather have a top 30% UT student than a median GULC student - but give those students equal grades and the GULC student will be at an advantage.