Law School Discussion

Which T14's are better than Texas for work in Texas?

• View Profile
Which T14's are better than Texas for work in Texas?
« on: January 22, 2008, 08:20:17 PM »
Here is the scenario...you're competing with a UT grad for a job in Houston or Dallas with the exact same resume as yours except you went to a T14. From which schools do you get the job? And from which does he?

botbot

• View Profile
Re: Which T14's are better than Texas for work in Texas?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 09:04:33 PM »
Each T14 places better in Texas than UT - even Cornell (although the sample size is tiny)..

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 07:11:13 AM »
Would you be in-state at UT?

vap

• Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 07:43:30 AM »
The answer will probably depend if the hypothetical candidate has pre- law school ties to Texas.  If not, I'd bet UT is a better option than most of the lower T14.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 08:16:52 AM »
Each T14 places better in Texas than UT - even Cornell (although the sample size is tiny)..

Interesting.  How do you know this?

Cornell is sadly anecdotal.

You can look at placement stats/cdo sheets for all others.

(This is not to say that UT isn't a better financial choice, or that a connectionless person from GULC will outplace a native from UT)

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 11:37:45 AM »
I'm not sure grads from UT and Cornell/GULC would have similar resumees in most cases.  At least not in the relevant ways toward getting a job in Texas.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 12:03:29 PM »
I'm not sure grads from UT and Cornell/GULC would have similar resumees in most cases.  At least not in the relevant ways toward getting a job in Texas.

Explain yourself.

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 12:17:51 PM »
Well most of your resume would involve LS extracurriculars (journal, clinic, etc.?), plus any clerkship/summer work experience you get.

I don't claim to be an expert, but it seems like all of those things are highly school specific.  Moreover, what city/region you're in could determine a lot of your work experience and community involvement. 

Add that to the fact that there is a level of supposed prestige difference between UT and T14, and you may have a student who gets better offers out of law school with which to barter more offers, or a clerkship opportunity that may make him more marketable.  A resume from a UT grad who stayed in Texas, on the other hand, may have more recognizable and relatable experience to the employer...depending on the firm.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 12:22:56 PM »
Would you be in-state at UT?

I understand what you are getting at, but this is sort of missing the point...It's my fault though, because I wasn't very clear...

...let's pretend all other factors are equal...(the two people are clones with the exact same life experience...if one has connections, so does the other etc.)...which T14's are better in Texas than Texas?

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 12:40:03 PM »
Well most of your resume would involve LS extracurriculars (journal, clinic, etc.?), plus any clerkship/summer work experience you get.

I don't claim to be an expert, but it seems like all of those things are highly school specific.  Moreover, what city/region you're in could determine a lot of your work experience and community involvement. 

Add that to the fact that there is a level of supposed prestige difference between UT and T14, and you may have a student who gets better offers out of law school with which to barter more offers, or a clerkship opportunity that may make him more marketable.  A resume from a UT grad who stayed in Texas, on the other hand, may have more recognizable and relatable experience to the employer...depending on the firm.

This is pretty wrong.  Law firms are familiar with the generalities of law school extracurriculars, but they are not often personally familiar with any one program.  Further, all Texas firms are aware that GULC has a slightly higher student quality and will go slightly deeper into  the class.

UT places very well in Texas, but a student with Texas connections at GULC or Cornell will do better rank-for-rank.