Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Minority Law School Enrollment Declining  (Read 6847 times)

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Minority Law School Enrollment Declining
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 04:56:33 PM »
While on the subject of declining enrollment of minority students, I'd thought I'd throw out some statistics about Puerto-Rican-American law school students: The number of Puerto-Rican-American law school students has been steadily declining for over a decade, despite a growth of about of roughly 12.5% in the number of stateside Puerto Ricans occurring over the same time period. A statistic drawn from ABA data indicated that in 2007, only about 130 J.D. degrees were awarded to Puerto-Rican-Americans in the U.S mainland, which is about 10 degrees less than the amount awarded to Puerto-Rican-Americans in 1989. Presently, Puerto-Rican-Americans account for about 1.5% of the total U.S. population, or roughly 4,000,000. According to ABA data, in 2007, the median percentage of law school students who identified themselves as Puerto Rican was about .2%. Currently, the vast majority of U.S. law schools, have no Puerto-Rican-American students in attendance.
To whom much is given, much is expected.

SabrinaK

• View Profile
Re: Minority Law School Enrollment Declining
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 05:55:49 PM »
I'd complain about the article not mentioning Native Americans...but as another LSDer once said, "We're like the unicorns of law school."
Alan Shore: You know I'm not about to go to Texas and not ride the mechanical bull, Chelina. That would be like going to Los Angeles and not sleeping with Paris Hilton.

Lock & Load: University of San Diego 2011!