Law School Discussion

University of California, Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2011

saradsun

• Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wally, I am truly sorry we won't be classmates at Boalt. Best of luck to you. I always enjoyed your off-center humor.

I decided on Boalt after visiting it last week and I'm super excited!!! I got to attend the panel discussion with David Cole, John Yoo and the protestors, it was really something else...

If anyone is up for it, lets talk about housing options a little more. How important is it to live close to campus? Do you end up having to pass on fun events if you live in Alameda or Albany? What about the area just south of Alcatraz, is it reasonably safe? Any tips on good areas to live in?

Small after weekend bump

any opinions on living in elmwood/claremont? fun area? no grad students? too loud? too suburban? any advice would help!

qmmm

• View Profile
Each of the neighborhoods has a different feel.  Even neighborhoods pretty close together can have very different vibes.  The best way to figure out what'll work for you is to come out and check out some of the neighborhoods if you can.  But here's a link that might be able to give you a hint what some of the bigger ones might be like or at least give you a start for a little digging. http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/guide/eastbay/neighborhoods/

Whether to live close to the law school really comes down to your willingness to either drive or utilize public transportation to get to class or go to fun events.  The buses do a pretty good job of covering the area, and you get a bus pass w/ your fees.  BART is always an option, but you'll have to pay for that.  Campus parking passes are insanely expensive.

The general rules for the east bay is that: flat = $; hilly = $$$$.  Basically as you move from the west to east (bay towards the hills) things tend to get more expensive and the appearance of the neighborhoods tend to reflect it.

South Berkeley tends to be the part of town that most resembles a classic college town.  North Berkeley and North Oakland tend to have older students who are willing to trade a bit of commuting convenience for a little bit less in rent.

Each of the neighborhoods has a different feel.  Even neighborhoods pretty close together can have very different vibes.  The best way to figure out what'll work for you is to come out and check out some of the neighborhoods if you can.  But here's a link that might be able to give you a hint what some of the bigger ones might be like or at least give you a start for a little digging. http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/guide/eastbay/neighborhoods/

Whether to live close to the law school really comes down to your willingness to either drive or utilize public transportation to get to class or go to fun events.  The buses do a pretty good job of covering the area, and you get a bus pass w/ your fees.  BART is always an option, but you'll have to pay for that.  Campus parking passes are insanely expensive.

The general rules for the east bay is that: flat = $; hilly = $$$$.  Basically as you move from the west to east (bay towards the hills) things tend to get more expensive and the appearance of the neighborhoods tend to reflect it.

South Berkeley tends to be the part of town that most resembles a classic college town.  North Berkeley and North Oakland tend to have older students who are willing to trade a bit of commuting convenience for a little bit less in rent.

Thanks!

One of the things that I am having a hard time figuring out is safety. I have visited a lot of the areas around there, but its hard to know which areas are safe and which are dangerous at night. I am guessing Alameda, North Berkeley, Albany/El Cerrito and Emeryville are all pretty safe. What about areas like Temescal and other North Oakland areas? 

qmmm

• View Profile

Thanks!

One of the things that I am having a hard time figuring out is safety. I have visited a lot of the areas around there, but its hard to know which areas are safe and which are dangerous at night. I am guessing Alameda, North Berkeley, Albany/El Cerrito and Emeryville are all pretty safe. What about areas like Temescal and other North Oakland areas? 

I think that Temescal is pretty safe, but Rockridge/Claremont would appear safer.  It goes along w/ the money comment above.  My totally unscientific memory can think of more 1Ls who live in Temescal than Rockridge.

As for those North Oakland neighborhoods:
Temescal:
+ cheaper
+ faster bus commute up Telegraph on the 1 or 1R
- a little rougher neighborhood

Rockridge/Claremont:
- pricier
- taking the 51 bus up College can be slow at times since it's a 2 lane road w/ stop signs and lots of students getting on and off as you get closer to campus
+ better night life
+ probably safer

There's also the Piedmont Neighborhood further down the 51 line, which is more like Rockridge than Temescal.

goaliechica

• It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
qmmm, how would you rate the importance of attending Crim for the incoming students?

I think that Temescal is pretty safe, but Rockridge/Claremont would appear safer.  It goes along w/ the money comment above.  My totally unscientific memory can think of more 1Ls who live in Temescal than Rockridge.

As for those North Oakland neighborhoods:
Temescal:
+ cheaper
+ faster bus commute up Telegraph on the 1 or 1R
- a little rougher neighborhood

Rockridge/Claremont:
- pricier
- taking the 51 bus up College can be slow at times since it's a 2 lane road w/ stop signs and lots of students getting on and off as you get closer to campus
+ better night life
+ probably safer

There's also the Piedmont Neighborhood further down the 51 line, which is more like Rockridge than Temescal.

Thanks qmmm! Thats exactly the info I was looking at. Right now I am leaning towards Alameda, but the above areas look pretty great as well. Does 1100 or 1200 sound like too much for a place, will the budget get really tight at that price point?

goaliechica

• It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
I don't have much helpful advice about the neighborhoods and safety, except that I know that Rockridge is ritzy, and Downtown on the south side where I live is mostly pretty safe.

I think it's nice to be close to campus, myself, but people manage to live all over the place. You might miss out on stuff if you have to take the BART to get home, but people take cabs and give each other rides and stuff and it seems like it usually works out.