Law School Discussion

University of California, Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall) Class of 2011

saradsun

• Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks so much for the info goalie! It's always good to have someone local verify that your "plan" is actually workable.

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
How far down are you planning on traveling?  We're in Monterey these days.  Let me know if you need any tourist info down this way.  (Ironically, I'd planned on going up and checking out Boalt next weekend, but now that I see it's ASW, I'll wait a few days.)

saradsun

• Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yah, so I'm looking and I can't find a great resource to tell me exactly from where to where would be a good drive. We have all day Saturday (daylight) for it. Any suggestions as to where to get on Hwy 1 and where to exit and drive back up north?

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
Yah, so I'm looking and I can't find a great resource to tell me exactly from where to where would be a good drive. We have all day Saturday (daylight) for it. Any suggestions as to where to get on Hwy 1 and where to exit and drive back up north?

It's about 2.5 hours from SFO to Santa Cruz, although if you stop and hang on the beach for a while, it'll take longer.  Bonny Doon Winery is along the way, but other than gorgeous ocean views, not a lot of touristy things.  Santa Cruz to Monterey is another hour, so if you start early, you could make it to Monterey in time for lunch at Fisherman's Wharf or a few hours at the Aquarium (one of the best in the country - we're members.)  Sunset is about 7-7:30pm nowadays, and you can shorten the ride back by going up (edit: Rt 17 to) the 101 from Santa Cruz to SFO (a little over an hour drive time.)  My husband is local (grew up in Monterey/Carmel/PG, UG at Berkeley) so let me know your tourism preferences and he can provide more insight.

saradsun

• Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
I was hoping to do a super long day and get down the big sur stretch but dh nixed the idea. Probably good. So yes, now the idea is down to santa cruz and monterey. Low cost ideas are appreciated. We'd like to see redwoods since we never have. There's some state parks down that way?

Also, suggestions for things for my DH to do in Berkeley while I'm doing the law school activities? He's planning on coming in the morning for the opening remarks, disappearing, maybe coming back for lunch, and then coming back for the reception at the end.

And for our day in SF, we're going to the ferry building, then taking some trolleys but don't really know what else we can do that's near BART stops. Suggestions?

I really appreciate the helpful advice!

saradsun

• Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
This should not be on page 2 with just a few days to ASD!

goaliechica

• It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
Also, suggestions for things for my DH to do in Berkeley while I'm doing the law school activities? He's planning on coming in the morning for the opening remarks, disappearing, maybe coming back for lunch, and then coming back for the reception at the end.

He might enjoy just wandering around the rest of the campus, if the weather's nice. It's all very pretty. I'd tell him to avoid Telegraph, though.

Or go sit in Strada if he needs a coffee shop!

qmmm

• View Profile
I was hoping to do a super long day and get down the big sur stretch but dh nixed the idea. Probably good. So yes, now the idea is down to santa cruz and monterey. Low cost ideas are appreciated. We'd like to see redwoods since we never have. There's some state parks down that way?

It's the opposite direction, but Muir Woods is only a 30-45 drive north of Berkeley into Marin County (which has it's own charms).

http://www.nps.gov/muwo/

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile

And for our day in SF, we're going to the ferry building, then taking some trolleys but don't really know what else we can do that's near BART stops. Suggestions?

I really appreciate the helpful advice!

If you want to see redwoods, after you head down the coast on Hwy 1 to Santa Cruz, drive back up slightly inland, up Rt. 9, through the sweet touristy hubs of Ben Lomond and Boulder Creek.  You can sidetrack before Ben Lomond (at Felton, I think) into Henry Cowell State Park.  Rt. 9 continues up to Saratoga, where you can catch 85 north to the 101.  One of the David Bruce tasting rooms is along the way (and free!), a few miles west of 85 - their Central Coast petite sirah is lovely.

I asked the spouse about what your spouse could do, and, contrary to the much more informed Goalie, he tossed off, "wander the bookstores of Telegraph."  He needs to admit that things have changed much since his tenure in the 1970s.

goaliechica

• It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile

It's the opposite direction, but Muir Woods is only a 30-45 drive north of Berkeley into Marin County (which has it's own charms).

http://www.nps.gov/muwo/

Hi  :D