Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: .  (Read 2387 times)

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: How does this sound for withdrawing?
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 01:05:51 PM »
tetris, your sarcasm is unwarranted. i wasn't being facetious, i was telling these posters how i view the admissions process and i think a certain level of integrity and decency should really be maintained at EVERY stage of the process, not just the beginning and middle. treat your withdrawing schools with some respect and your letters as a LOCI, just in reverse. be polite, not short and pretentious with them

I contend that both of their withdraw notices were polite.
_______
.|E|R|S.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 01:10:10 PM »
Really? I withdrew before a decision was made on my application.

I basically said thank you for considering my application. I would like to formally withdraw my application because of my intent to attend another institution. I didn't specifically say the school or anything.

That was rude?

No it wasn't. Not at all.
_______
.|E|R|S.

IamAnXman

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PM+me+to+get+it
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 01:11:29 PM »
sstar, no that wasn't as rude as the impression you gave in your earlier post. you gave the distinct impression that you told the school where else you've decided to attend (implying, of course the levels of superiority and prestige).

i didn't say truth's letter was impolite, i just said it was too short- shorter than would really give him the extra edge as far as politeness and decorum go.

MHLM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 01:12:31 PM »
Really? I withdrew before a decision was made on my application.

I basically said thank you for considering my application. I would like to formally withdraw my application because of my intent to attend another institution. I didn't specifically say the school or anything.

That was rude?

No, I'm sure it wasn't rude. I just have seen a few withdrawal forms that ask you to note which school you'll be attending. It's probably just out of courtesy more than anything. Not a big deal.

mmg3327

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 01:58:54 PM »
It's not rude to indicate what other school you have chosen to attend.  In fact, it's helpful and perferred. 

As someone who has worked in multiple admissions offices, I can tell you that AdComms like knowing where you've chosen to attend instead of their school; it helps them identify their chief competitors and fine tune their message when competing for applicants.  They keep statistics on this kind of thing, and if you're not going to matriculate, the least you can do is provide another data point.

Outlaw22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 02:10:02 PM »
It's not rude to indicate what other school you have chosen to attend.  In fact, it's helpful and perferred. 

As someone who has worked in multiple admissions offices, I can tell you that AdComms like knowing where you've chosen to attend instead of their school; it helps them identify their chief competitors and fine tune their message when competing for applicants.  They keep statistics on this kind of thing, and if you're not going to matriculate, the least you can do is provide another data point.

Agreed. When I withdrew I just said that I was accepted early decision to a school and was required to withdraw my application from consideration. Got a handful of responses back asking to share what school. I think it's helpful information to them.
Penn Law Class of 2011

Boyce Baylor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 02:43:06 PM »
::copies and pastes::

::edits ever so slightly::

::nods::

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 02:46:09 PM »

Agreed. When I withdrew I just said that I was accepted early decision to a school and was required to withdraw my application from consideration. Got a handful of responses back asking to share what school. I think it's helpful information to them.

The amount of information an addmissions committee has on you is already huge...and now you're going to give them your location...next thing you know you feel like you're being watched...you're getting strange emails...
...and you're running away from black helicopters!

haha...j/k  ;)

Seriously though, if you want to tell them, then tell them. If not, then don't. But don't FEEL like you owe them an explanation, because you owe them nothing. Will the schools who reject you send a letter explaining exactly why you were rejected in order to be helpful....of course not....so in my opinion, just thank them and move on.

Boyce Baylor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 02:51:13 PM »
They often ask you on the paper form mailed with admissions packages what other school you will be attending if you do not go to their school. So why is it rude to give them that information if you withdraw before getting accepted?

Is there a setting where it can just not show xman's posts or something? He never says anything correct or important. He is a boring flame.

I would tend to agree but his flagrant misuse of vocabulary shows a certain genius in its ability to infuriate.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 02:55:08 PM »
So who in this thread is the most likely to be the adcomm under cover???