Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PA Schools, 158 LSAT/3.84GPA... then back to TX?  (Read 643 times)

mm1405

• View Profile
PA Schools, 158 LSAT/3.84GPA... then back to TX?
« on: January 21, 2008, 11:59:02 PM »
I'm from Texas - boyfriend from PA. Considering law school in PA. No shot at UPENN. How would you rank the others, Maryland, Temple, Newark, Villanova, Camden, Dickinson? I'll have out of state tuition, and closer to Philly better but not necessarily a must.

Also, think it would be too hard to come back to Texas after law school in Philly? Ive heard TX bar is very TEXAS specific. Ive lived in TX my whole life, not sure if I'm ready to make the change to PA for the next 16 years... but I wouldnt mind going there for law school? Not sure if its a bad idea...
158/3.84, Master's Degree, Paralegal for 1 year

IN: Baylor (Spring 09), Penn State Dickinson,
OUT: UT
WL/WD: Temple, Rutgers-Camden
Pending: Houston, SMU

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: PA Schools, 158 LSAT/3.84GPA... then back to TX?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 07:52:51 AM »
Camden, instate tuition after first year.  Cheaper then most and your not that far from philly. 

lawandethan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 09:16:26 PM »
If you are set on practicing in Texas, attending one of the aforementioned law schools would be a bad idea.  It is hard enough to procure employment without distancing yourself by thousands of miles from the market you want to start your career in.

Betty_Crocker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »
I agree with the above poster....it will be hard to go to a school in PA and transfer back to Texas. As far as learning is concerned, you won't be too disadvantaged going to a non-Texas law school (but it depends on what kind of classes you wanted to take). For example, no school in PA will offer classes in Texas Trial and Appellate or Texas Pre-Trial and some of the Bar Classes you will take will not give you insight into how Texas is different or what you should watch out for in the Texas bar. In Wills & Trust you will learn about the Uniform Probate Code and the Uniform Trust Code and a Texas school will teach you where TX will depart from these codes (like how Texas still follows the Slaugher Rule while the UPC will treat murdering spouse as disclaimed and not predeceased). Additionally, I doubt a PA school will teach Oil & Gas (which is now getting tested a lot on the TX Bar) and will probably focus more on Coal Mining and the like. True you can learn all this stuff in Bar/Bri or another Bar Exam Prep Course, but it will be very difficult to learn EVERYTHING all at once in these 6 week programs.

It will also be difficult for you to get a job, especially if you go to a non-top 25 school. The fact that you are from TX and that you have a legitimate connection to the state will help you if you are in the top 15-20% of your respective class, but if you rank lower, a firm is not going to take the time and risk with a student when they can go to a Baylor, SMU, UH, or even a Texas Tech student with comparable grades and better connection to the Texas legal community.

Again, while it is not impossible to transfer from PA to TX, you should really consider these factors. Try asking someone from the exact legal market you want to move in (i.e. Houston, Dallas, Austin, etc) to gauge your chances after graduation.