Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WUSTL Jan 25th ASD.... Roll call?  (Read 5867 times)

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: WUSTL Jan 25th ASD.... Roll call?
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 10:20:07 AM »
Anyone? =)

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 10:21:14 AM »
Sorry! Okay give me one minute...
Vandy 1L... really?

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 10:37:14 AM »
Pros:

Very, VERY laid back students. No one seems cut-throat in the least. My SO and I crashed the "Happy Hour" (a keg in the law  school commons every Friday afternoon).... and I was really surprised about how NORMAL they seemed. A couple of girls said their contract professor usually stops by (doesn't drink) and chats with them as they socialize.

Speaking of the professors... the Dean gave us a long speech about how he stresses to his faculty that they should know every one of their students by name/face, and be open to talking to them outside of the classroom. He mentioned that unlike most Deans, he teaches a FULL course load - then to prove his earlier point he pulled out a stack of cards with pictures and information on each of his students.

I talked with a LOT of students (some recent alumni at the reception and some at Happy Hour). Everyone loved it there and seemed confident about their career prospects. Most kids confirmed that if you want a big market job - Top 1/3 with a pulse and Top 1/2 with a personality will get you there. It appeared as if a lot of 3Ls and grads self selected away from bigger cities.... I met a Yale UG on law review that got a job with Jones Day and choose to go to their Dallas office (rather than NY or Boston, I forget which), and another that got a Big firm job in NYC but gave it up to be in Charlotte, NC. I also met one guy who was doing a 2 year clerkship for a federal judge in the ST Louis area and loved it.

I talked to quite a few students who chose WUSTL over lower T14s.... oddly enough, mostly Cornell. (I'm NOT bashing Cornell, just relaying what they told me.)

I LOVED the Gothic architecture on campus.

COL seems very reasonable... Most people I met paid 450-700, one who paid 550 said he was close to campus and lived alone.

Cons:

East St. Louis is extremely sketchy. But, I got over this quickly because I realized East Gainesville is the same way... but I never go there anyways. Clayton, which is where the law school area is very nice.

Construction is all over the place... though the new building/new common area/new OCI offices in the law school are supposed to be done by orientation. However, this makes me antsy because I know how these things get pushed back.

Apparently, there is no decent gym on campus. Law students usually buy a membership.

- I really can't think of any more cons... I'll update this if I think of any.

Vandy 1L... really?

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 02:18:21 PM »
How many prospective students would you estimate showed up?  Thanks for the report. =)

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 02:21:12 PM »
26 were there, they mentioned that they had been expecting about 10. (Like 4 where coming from the St Louis area).
Vandy 1L... really?

olive

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 04:25:46 PM »
Pros:

Very, VERY laid back students. No one seems cut-throat in the least. My SO and I crashed the "Happy Hour" (a keg in the law  school commons every Friday afternoon).... and I was really surprised about how NORMAL they seemed. A couple of girls said their contract professor usually stops by (doesn't drink) and chats with them as they socialize.

Speaking of the professors... the Dean gave us a long speech about how he stresses to his faculty that they should know every one of their students by name/face, and be open to talking to them outside of the classroom. He mentioned that unlike most Deans, he teaches a FULL course load - then to prove his earlier point he pulled out a stack of cards with pictures and information on each of his students.

I talked with a LOT of students (some recent alumni at the reception and some at Happy Hour). Everyone loved it there and seemed confident about their career prospects. Most kids confirmed that if you want a big market job - Top 1/3 with a pulse and Top 1/2 with a personality will get you there. It appeared as if a lot of 3Ls and grads self selected away from bigger cities.... I met a Yale UG on law review that got a job with Jones Day and choose to go to their Dallas office (rather than NY or Boston, I forget which), and another that got a Big firm job in NYC but gave it up to be in Charlotte, NC. I also met one guy who was doing a 2 year clerkship for a federal judge in the ST Louis area and loved it.

I talked to quite a few students who chose WUSTL over lower T14s.... oddly enough, mostly Cornell. (I'm NOT bashing Cornell, just relaying what they told me.)

I LOVED the Gothic architecture on campus.

COL seems very reasonable... Most people I met paid 450-700, one who paid 550 said he was close to campus and lived alone.

Cons:

East St. Louis is extremely sketchy. But, I got over this quickly because I realized East Gainesville is the same way... but I never go there anyways. Clayton, which is where the law school area is very nice.

Construction is all over the place... though the new building/new common area/new OCI offices in the law school are supposed to be done by orientation. However, this makes me antsy because I know how these things get pushed back.

Apparently, there is no decent gym on campus. Law students usually buy a membership.

- I really can't think of any more cons... I'll update this if I think of any.

I'm a 2L and agree with everything you said (including all of your Pros). As for the construction, it's annoying but from what I've seen they do a lot of construction and finish things on schedule (very quickly too - building a new undergrad dorm in < 1 year) so I wouldn't worry too much about that. It was a fully functional parking lot when I started law school and it's almost done now. 

Oh, I also took a class with the dean and he's great!

Czar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 12:28:34 AM »
I was there. It was a good time, and it seems like that's the "good time" sentiment is an attitude the law school embraces.

As mentioned above, everyone at the happy hour seemed really laid back. Could be because I was already feeling good, having managed to down four glasses of the cheap Merlot they served at the reception. The beer pong table in the commons was a nice touch.

They really are throwing around money, and not just on scholarships. It's impressive, to say the least. A new building (mainly housing WUSTL's highly-ranked clinical offices) is slated to open in August, and they're putting a beautiful glass dome/ceiling over the current outdoor common area on the top floor. TBH I think the area will work much better once it becomes indoors.

I also had a similar experience talking to current students. People were chill and had success with their job search in a wide range of locations. Everyone echoed how amazing the dean is and how accessible faculty and staff are with their time.

UF, as soon as you said "SO and I crashed..", I could immediately guess who you two were. I was pretty impressed by their presentation, and visiting did a lot for my opinion of the school. Wasn't so impressed by some of the conversation happening during the bus tour, but I'm only referring to the one really loud kid in the back.

It also helps that I got offered a summer job at a firm in Clayton when I was visiting. Hm...

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 06:03:48 AM »
It also helps that I got offered a summer job at a firm in Clayton when I was visiting. Hm...

Was this through personal connections or something related to the school?

LegallyAccepted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 09:45:51 AM »
Is there anyone else who can give anymore advice on WUSTL?  I am SERIOUSLY considering it.
You never know unless you try!

In: Mercer(W), Tulane (90K), WUSTL($), Loyola New Orleans (W) (99K), DePaul (W) (45K), LSU (W) (60K)(non-resident), Georgia State (W) (non-resident)
Waitlisted: Emory (W), UT (W), Vandy (W)
Rejected: Harvard

TULANE LAW CLASS OF 2011!!!

Coolsportsplaya

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 10:42:22 AM »
I agree with everything that you guys have said.  I really enjoyed the visit, and was particularly impressed with how much effort they put into pairing us with people who shared our interests.  The two professors I sat with at lunch were very familiar with my application (asking me about my study abroad experience, why I chose an odd major for a pre-law student), and one of them had gone to the same undergrad that I attend.  Everyone on their admissions staff was incredibly nice and made an effort to match a face to our names and applications, and frankly it felt good that they genuinely wanted everyone who was there to eventually attend the school.

I was very impressed with the lecturer we saw for Civil Procedure, I had heard from friends that are 1L's that it's the driest course imaginable, but the professor was engaging and thoroughly enjoyable.  The students were laid back, and even the one gunner in the class was at least contributing good arguments to the discussion.

WUSTL has definitely shot up my list with the ASD, as well as the very nice scholarship that I got via email last week.  Short of getting into one of the top tier (UMich, NU), I can't see passing this up for anybody else.

The only concern I had (other than the gym facilities being so-so) is that the group of admitted students was probably not representative of what the 1L class will eventually be.  Several of the other kids I talked to were extremely qualified candidates who had already gotten offers from top 10 (and some from top 5) law schools, making me wonder 1) how many of the 26 that were there will eventually end up attending WUSTL, and 2) whether or not they're representative of WUSTL's increasing recognition as a top school, or just a fluke of a small sample size.
Washington University Law Class of 2011!

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=spsteadman