Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How bad is this typo?  (Read 601 times)

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
How bad is this typo?
« on: January 21, 2008, 08:02:51 PM »
I was about to send my addendum to my 10th school when I read over it and found a typo. How bad does this sound. I have sent it to 9/10 of the schools I am applying to and the tenth one was a safety that I really have little or no interest in attending. It is in the first paragraph so I figure they will see it.

" I accepted a judicial diversion in which I completed 100 of community service and six months unsupervised probation."

Is it possible they will think I intended to put 100 of community service?

dubsy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How bad is this typo?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 08:14:22 PM »
eeeeh... *tugging at collar.

kidding, i'm sure your adcoms will know what you meant.
seeing king midas everywhere.

IamAnXman

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PM+me+to+get+it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 12:34:52 AM »
dubs is correct, adcomms will surely decipher what you intended but it is generally poor practice to force members of your reviewing panel to decode what you really meant. it's always best to make it as clear as possible. and i'd like to know what you were reading over your addendum AFTER sending it in. if you've browsed through any law school boards online, you will find that the general consensus is that once you send in your application materials, you NEVER look back.

rnidtowner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 12:47:01 AM »
I wouldn't sweat it at all.  We all know that law schools are concerned about 2 things above all else:  your LSAT score and GPA.  US News and World Report doesn't include a statistic for "number of applicants accepted with typographical errors on resume".   ;)

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 01:07:25 AM »
I wouldn't sweat it at all.  We all know that law schools are concerned about 2 things above all else:  your LSAT score and GPA.  US News and World Report doesn't include a statistic for "number of applicants accepted with typographical errors on resume".   ;)

I take it you don't have the print edition?

telemachus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 01:04:07 PM »
yeah it's fine, law school and the legal profession don't put a lot of stock into attention to detail.  basically if it's decipherable, it works. 

IamAnXman

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PM+me+to+get+it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 01:14:50 PM »
tele, i hope you don't really believe that. if you do, you'll have a very very hard time getting through law school and surviving in the legal profession as an attorney. the law is a field of PRECESSION and CONCISENESS. you can't throw some words together with some hope of meaning and then pray that the reader will solve a riddle and look over a treasure map to discover what you meant. it has to be clear from the start and throughout. typos hinder that objective and can therefore not be given "no attention at all", as you claim.