Law School Discussion

ITT I had a dumb Idea

ITT I had a dumb Idea
« on: January 21, 2008, 12:26:41 PM »
I'd like to delete this.

Re: Not working till LS and getting a CC instead?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 12:42:35 PM »
It depends on the interest rate. but let's just say the rate is 4-6% with the minimum monthly being about 150 bucks. Give it 3-4 years and you could end up paying anywhere from 12-15K. Huge price for a couple of mocha lattes and oil changes.  I'd keep the gig.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 01:03:33 PM »
  What is your UG in that you can't find a job that is somewhat interesting, making some $$$$'s.  I don't think you have explored the possibilities fully enough.  Living on CC debt is not a smart option.

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 01:23:11 PM »
Would it be really stupid to just get a $10,000 credit card and just live off that each month?

yes.

si

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 01:55:45 PM »
It just frustrates me that I'm working the same kind of job that someone still in college works, despite the fact that I graduated with a lot of honors, good internships, etc.  And I'm going to (hopefully) make about 5x as much per hour in a few years.

Suggestion: get over yourself.

If you were looking for something long term, fine. I could see being frustrated. But you're not. You have a few months between graduating and starting another academic program. Find a job that doesn't make you want to kill yourself (I worked as an administrative assistant [after I quit the job that made me want to kill myself] for 6 months, and while I kind of hated it, and the job didn't even require a college degree, it paid the bills, and I learned something about a new industry and met some great people). You might even find something interesting. But living off of credit cards for what, 8 months? is stupid, and it's even stupider to do it because you're frustrated that you don't have a job that reflects just how awesome you are.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 02:34:31 PM »
GET A SERVING/BARTENDING JOB!!

Earn some cash, avoid any obligation to stay for the long haul, meet interesting people, DRINK, learn spanish, stay out late, sleep in, and stay active without over-exerting yourself.

When all else fails, a serving or bartending job can always come to the short-term rescue.  If possible, seek out a bar or restaurant near the courthouse/legal district/etc near you; you never know what attorney/judge you might serve that is impressed with you and tells you to call them when seeking summer clerkships/jobs.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 07:21:43 AM »
0% for 6 months, get your student loans and pay the card off, let it hit Equifax or what not, and apply for a new 0% card and use it for all purchases during the school year, rinse/repeat for three years.

I like this plan.

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 05:42:00 AM »
Bankrobbers in rural settings rarely get caught.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 06:49:23 AM »
It could work as long as you are not faced with any unexpected expenses at the wrong time. Each persons situation is different so it could work out just fine for you. My plan is a little different.  I'm going to scrape up all the money possible between now and late July.  Then I will order a POD and commence to relocating. No scholarships, no rich parents, just 1 guy on a mission.  Best wishes

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 07:07:57 AM »
I thought about the POD thing, but do most apartment complexes allow PODS in the parking lots?