Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Forgotten Few?  (Read 784 times)

pirouette06

• View Profile
    • LSN
The Forgotten Few?
« on: January 21, 2008, 01:15:35 PM »
Are we more likely to see any of the "forgotten few" game types (profile charting, pure sequencing, mapping, etc.) in February? I've read that the Feb exam has a reputation for being more "experimental" and I suck at profile charting games...

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: The Forgotten Few?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 01:48:54 PM »
The smart money is on more of the same.

qt314

• Sr. Citizen
  • pi = 3.14, k?
    • View Profile
    • bluewords
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 02:26:31 PM »
The smart money is on more of the same.

Earl, I love your avatar. Always have, always will.
NYU Class of 2011!

P. Pius

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 06:00:49 PM »
I agree...it's unlikely there'll be a mapping game.  But for me, I always found those to be the easiest.
In like Flint (Accepted):  South Texas, St. Mary's
Out on a limb (Pending):  Arizona State, Southwestern, Oregon
Better luck next time (Denial): 

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=runnerxc8888

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 08:35:57 PM »
The LGB classifies the Zephyr Airlines game as grouping, which I guess I can see how it is, but doing it like a normal grouping game and not as a graph/map makes that game so much more difficult for me.  Does anyone do this game like you would other grouping games?

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 09:01:12 AM »
I would much rather see games like the Zephyr Airlines game than a lot of the grouping games I have had problems with.  Grouping games are the most difficult for me.  The rest, even the oddball games, seem to be a better fit for my mind. 

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 09:37:28 AM »
I am saving that test as a timed test, so I am not sure, but it sounds right. =)

I seem to need to refer to the rules more frequently with grouping games and I miss things in going from the top of the page to the bottom repeatedly.  I have considered writing the rules at the top of the page so that they are always visible without moving my hand.

Sometimes I do not refer to either the diagram or my list of rules and will stare at a problem for a minute before realizing the answer is obvious.  I know I just need to practice and stick to an algorithm for solving these kinds of problems.  I am doing 20-30 grouping games a day now, so hopefully this kind of practice helps with that.

I also notice that I will read a rule like "X cannot be in 1 or 2" and I will write L next to groups 2 and 3 for some reason.  I get letters mixed up, with the only variables LKMNOP I will use an S instead of one of the variables, fill all the spaces and think I am done.  If there is someone like Felipe, I will use a P sometimes, other times it is just a letter that is close, alphabetically, to the string of characters that is in use.  I rarely have this problem on linear or pattern games.

The shrike/martin example with chaining rules has helped a lot on games where chaining is possible, I think because I do not have to fumble through a list of rules.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 11:20:27 AM »
Zephyr Airlines doesn't work well as a group game because you're grouping the same list of things to each other, which means if H goes in M, you also have to remember to put M in H.  It's much easier as a map game where you can just draw a line between the two.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 11:38:45 AM »
The mirror effect.  It gets pretty confusing with that reflection going back and forth. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgtWIx2zLtk