Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do I have a chance at admission?  (Read 787 times)

chizema

• View Profile
    • Email
Do I have a chance at admission?
« on: January 21, 2008, 12:33:33 PM »
I've recently applied to 5 schools in the Chicago/Milwaukee area and am extremely nervous about my chances for acceptance.  I have a very low gpa (2.25) and an average lsat score (155).  I have been out of school for 3 years, and have gained some very solid work experience.  I also think my personal statement helps to justify my low gpa, and shows an improvement in my grades towards the end of my undergrad. I like to tell myself my resume, personal statement, and lor's will help compensate for a lower gpa, but I wanted to see if anyone could offer an opinion for my chances for admission...

TrumpWho??

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Do I have a chance at admission?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 12:44:33 PM »
Are you a URM

chizema

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 12:47:03 PM »
No, I'm not a URM

TrumpWho??

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 12:48:26 PM »
IMO you will only get into the schools where you LSAT is well above the 75th percentile

IamAnXman

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PM+me+to+get+it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 04:02:15 PM »
trump, that is blatantly false information. chiz, i know lots of people that were accepted to schools and were at their 25% for both gpa and LSAT. trump is being unnecessarily pessimistic and i hope you haven't taken his advice seriously. you have a better than average chance at several schools, especially considering where your numbers place you in their percentiles.

IamAnXman

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PM+me+to+get+it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 04:25:12 PM »
thank you for using my well crafted phrase and trying to put your own, unsuccessful spin on it, sass.

i didn't say that those who get accepted at 25% for both numbers aren't well rounded candidates otherwise. but the OP said that he is a very strong candidate other than the numbers. so i'm informing those that aren't sure how the process works that chances of admission are still pretty good even if the numbers put you at 25%.

chizema

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 05:24:54 PM »
Thanks for providing the info (as well as going at each other, which was more entertaining than your responses!).  Being a pessimist myself, I'm not applying to unreasonable schools.  I'm just hoping that showing a few years of experience at a prestigious company will help to gain me acceptance at a school.   

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 05:31:05 PM »
I think by nature of the very fact that one falls below the "25th percentile" in both GPA and LSAT should be a dead-giveaway that they will have an uphill battle. That said, you should most definitely apply to a few such reaches.

As for your original post, yes, you do have a chance at admission. 155 is the median or above the median at quite a few schools. Take a look at the US News and World Report rankings and look at the Tier 4, Tier 3, and the 100-50 ranked schools as and compile a list of all the schools in that area. Then look at www.lawschoolnumbers.com and check out the info for each school to assess your chances; you may also try going to LSAC and using their admissions calculator. This should be a good starting point for you. Keep in mind that the accuracy of admissions calculators is a debatable topic; personally I think they're good for "getting an idea" of where to apply but you should take them to be your bible of applications. At best they help you refine your choice of schools.
_______
.|E|R|S.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 06:03:22 PM »
Thanks for providing the info (as well as going at each other, which was more entertaining than your responses!).  Being a pessimist myself, I'm not applying to unreasonable schools.  I'm just hoping that showing a few years of experience at a prestigious company will help to gain me acceptance at a school.   

You should apply to a couple of unreasonable schools, just to see. Maybe not Harvard, but don't be shy about going bold for some of your choices; you may be surprised.
_______
.|E|R|S.

boilerguy84

• "I've got something to say..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 06:22:59 PM »
ignore anything xman has to say. he's just here to pimp another site and act like an idiot.
"read a book."
Depaul '11