Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PA or TX Schools? 158 LSAT/3.84GPA  (Read 1446 times)

mm1405

• View Profile
PA or TX Schools? 158 LSAT/3.84GPA
« on: January 21, 2008, 01:15:52 AM »
Where should I apply to? I live in Austin and would LOVE TO GO TO UT... but its a reach. My boyfrind is from PA and I would move there, around Philly.  UPenn is not worth my application - Id never get in there.  So where else/how many? Baylor? U of Houston for sure. SMU? I have a grudge against SMU/private schools for some reason.  Villanova? Temple? and Penn State? Ideas... amy of them good or better? Thanks!
158/3.84, Master's Degree, Paralegal for 1 year

IN: Baylor (Spring 09), Penn State Dickinson,
OUT: UT
WL/WD: Temple, Rutgers-Camden
Pending: Houston, SMU

BoRNnTHeUSA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: PA or TX Schools? 158 LSAT/3.84GPA
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 01:59:33 AM »
There will probably be responses from posters w/info specific 2 your numbers.  While you wait, check out http//www.lawschoolnumbers.com and look at previous cycles (even this cycle) for schools located in PA and TX.  It should help some...  Your GPA is really solid.  Is it the cumulative used by law school admissions? 
"I believe that what self-centered men have torn down, other-centered men can build up." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

ari20dal7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 08:53:10 AM »
None of the places you're likely to be admitted are super portable - I'd probably suggest SMU or Houston in your situation.  The Philly schools are worth looking at - you'd probably get into Rutgers-Camden as well.

BLUE EYED MONSTER

• See. It's a giant hat. It's funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 11:45:32 AM »
Hey I grew up in Austin but live in Dallas now. I miss it. I would also LOVE TO GO TO UT. Make sure to stop off and get a Mexican Martini at Trudyís for me.

As far as your situation goes, I also think SMU or Houston would be good choices because they are decent schools in really big markets. As far as SMU goes, it seems to have a good reputation throughout the city and a good network of alumni. Several of the lawyers in the firm I work for are grads and they all speak very highly of it. Dallas is a pretty cool city because there is always a ton to do no matter what your interests are. I think that you would have a good shot at getting in. Your GPA is really good.

Houston is also a good option. You could probably get into Baylor as well but if it were me I would stick to schools in the big metropolitan areas. None of the schools is likely to take you out of Texas right after graduation so I would make sure that you are OK with staying in the state for a while.

Iím sorry I know nothing about PA. 

Outlaw22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 11:47:51 AM »
I would apply to Temple, Villanova, and Rutgers-Camden in the Philly area. - Don't know much about TX.
Penn Law Class of 2011

stewie griffin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 12:13:56 PM »
From looking at the LSAC admissions probability calculator, you seem to have the best shot at Villanova when it comes to Philly-area schools.  You also have a decent shot at Temple and Rutgers-Camden.  I'd apply to all three if I were you, and if you get into all three, you should probably take Temple or R-C.  They're all ranked about the same, but Temple and R-C are state schools and as such, they're much cheaper than 'Nova.  Temple has excellent placement in Philadelphia (don't know as much about the other two), but I don't know enough to tell you how you'll do outside of Philly with degrees from these schools.  Regardless, Philly is a great city, and you should definitely consider attending law school here.  Good luck!
Temple University Beasley School of Law 2011

you fine american.

Final record: 5-1-4

mm1405

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 01:47:47 PM »
Thanks for the replies! Very interesting replies... I had almost cross SMU off my list! I heard that Camden was located in a bad area? Anyone familiar with that campus? And also... I"m guessing Temple/Camden/Villanoa are better than Penn State, regarless of the reputation "Penn State" has? I was thinking that although the rankings are at the bottom of Tier 2, its name may help it out?

And yes, 3.84 is my cumulative undergrad, I actually have a 4.0 and my Master's degree as well - but I dont think shcools care about that as much. 

Thanks again!

One last thing... how hard would it be to go to PA for school, and come back to Texas to work? Or vice versa? Or is that when the "national" tier 1 schools come into play?
158/3.84, Master's Degree, Paralegal for 1 year

IN: Baylor (Spring 09), Penn State Dickinson,
OUT: UT
WL/WD: Temple, Rutgers-Camden
Pending: Houston, SMU

gpbne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 02:38:31 PM »
Are you still trying to apply for next year?  If not, I would consider re-taking the LSAT if you love UT.  Your GPA is great (and above their 75th) so if you were to get just a couple more points you could have a realistic shot, especially if you're in-state.  Even if you don't re-take, you should still apply.  With your GPA and if you're in-state, you could still get in on softs with the 158.

SMU places extremely well in-state (even though I completely understand your aversion to it  :)), so I think this is your best bet in Texas beyond UT.

I don't know anything about the PA schools, but I would guess you would have your work cut out for you trying to come back to work in TX.  Your class rank and personal connections would play a big part.

Good luck!
TEXAS Class of 2011!
LSN

I sit at Pax before work, and I'm always like, "Damn, these guys are smart as hell. And hot." -Wally

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 03:02:26 PM »
Apply to Villanova but not Rutgers-Camden.  I don't need the extra competition.  :-\

Seriously though, I would guess Rutgers' campus may actually be safer than Temple's, though I'm not sure.  Rutgers is in the only non-terrible part of Camden.

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »
Baylor is excellent for litigation... The firm I work for (in Dallas) hires Baylor grads over SMU grads... Something to think about... Also, I was accepted to the Fall class with similar numbers: 158/3.8, so you should definitely apply.  ;)