Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ques re: calling for status check  (Read 1150 times)

ebrumm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ques re: calling for status check
« on: March 19, 2004, 11:50:46 AM »
Today I am planning on calling a couple of schools to see the status of my apps.

What have you guys asked in order to get a little bit more info out of them then just the "yes its being reviewed" bit?

Can I ask how many apps they have gotten? When they think they will have a reponse?

Or is being overly anxious/etc on the phone going to be a con in the eyes of an admissions officer....

Anti_Ivy

Re: Ques re: calling for status check
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 11:52:42 AM »
  • Don't tell them your name.
  • Pester the hell out of 'em: ask them everything that you think is important to you.  Just in case the person you speak to starts to get POd, ask the important questions early on.

ebrumm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 11:56:53 AM »
just keep calling... shouting "when will I know?? when will I know?!?!?"... then hang up? (dont forget to do the *67!) Great plan Anti - good to know I can always count on you guys for sound advice.

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 11:58:41 AM »
Not that I don't like your idea to "just keep calling... shouting 'when will I know?? when will I know?!?!?'... then hang up?" I must add the following to my previous list:

• Use a cell or pay phone.

BTW: we have *69 where I live, not *67.

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 12:04:26 PM »
*69 gives you the last number that called your home.

*67 blocks your number from the people that you call. If you dial *67, and then someone dials *69 it will come up that your number is unlisted.

Atleast, I am pretty sure that is how it works :)
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

jgomez

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 12:04:27 PM »
i sent in my apps very late, mid March.  i have called several times to make sure my apps don't fall into the cracks.  usually, the person that picks up the phone has no clue what is going on, they are probably a student or something like that. 

but by calling, i finally got the assistant dean and got some answers.  you believe it, he even calls me back and leaves messages if I get his VM. 

i think to call is no problem.  just understand that they are very busy and that it may take several calls to get a honest answer. 

ebrumm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 12:05:16 PM »
oh no my firend - *69 tells you who called, but if you do the *67 before you dial then you block your number... interestingly enough, if you do *765859 you are directly transefered to the oval office.

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 12:12:31 PM »
interestingly enough, if you do *765859 you are directly transefered to the oval office.

Is that a bunch of B.S.?  I'd call, but I don't know if I trust you.

deleted1248163264128

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004, 01:25:13 PM »
I called a few schools because I wanted to send in an additional recommendation letter and they were surprisingly pleasant.  Like anything else though, I'm sure it depends on individual schools and the personality/mood of whoever answers the phone.  Also, I'm sure they'd rather keep calls short, so questions like "How many apps have you gotten" might annoy them.  They probably don't know and anyway, this information really doesn't give you a better indication of what your chances are.  Good luck!

dunnolaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 01:32:24 AM »
I've called USC so many times, the woman (I think she's a student) actually knows me and snickers everytime she has to say "no decision's been made yet," or "nope nothing yet."