Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOR Help  (Read 817 times)

rolen27

• View Profile
LOR Help
« on: January 20, 2008, 05:54:48 PM »
hey all, I have a few questions about letter of recommedations

1. I am thinking about going to graduate school as well, can I use the same recommenders? can they even be the same LORs? Or is that not recommended because a schools graduate school and law school might share LORs on the same applicant

2. I've had a few professors in some substantial writing courses I was hoping to get some LORs from, I saved the material from those classes at my house but appearantly my parents did some spring cleaning and tossed them away  >:( >:( >:( .. what do I do? should I just forget getting LORs from those profs, because I doubt they'd remember enough about me to write a substantial LOR without me presenting them with previous course work 

PABitz

• View Profile
    • LSN
Re: LOR Help
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 06:07:10 PM »
hey all, I have a few questions about letter of recommedations

1. I am thinking about going to graduate school as well, can I use the same recommenders? can they even be the same LORs? Or is that not recommended because a schools graduate school and law school might share LORs on the same applicant

2. I've had a few professors in some substantial writing courses I was hoping to get some LORs from, I saved the material from those classes at my house but appearantly my parents did some spring cleaning and tossed them away  >:( >:( >:( .. what do I do? should I just forget getting LORs from those profs, because I doubt they'd remember enough about me to write a substantial LOR without me presenting them with previous course work 

For the second point, I think only you can answer that. If you don't think they know enough about you without the prompt, then you'll have to search for other LORs. Obviously, see if you can find an electronic copy if you can, though.

As for graduate school, I'm assuming you mean PhD programs. In that case, you can certainly use the same recommenders as long as they are both sufficiently academic. The admissions folks for the law school and the graduate department are not going to be in contact with each other about you. Even if they were, they would expect you to use the same academic recommenders because in each case you would be best served by choosing the best recs, hence an overlap. On the other hand, a good law school rec could be very different from a good grad school rec, particularly in the degree to which the latter will focus on research capability, so in a lot of cases, it won't be a good idea to use the exact same letters.
Attending: Y

In: Y, CCN, VDG, UCLA
Out:
WL: H, M

LSAT: 172
UGPA: 3.87
Soft Factors / Essays: Um... apparently better than I originally thought