Northwestern
14 (4.2%)
GULC
50 (14.8%)

Total Members Voted: 335

Most overrated T14?

Re: Most overrated T14?
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2008, 01:09:45 PM »
Eh, I just mean in the sense of finding out which are the big deal firms, etc. I hadn't heard of skadden before I started this.

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2008, 01:11:20 PM »
It's good to use, but in many ways it is similar to law school rankings.  There is not much difference probably outside the V10 (arguably V5).  Chambers and partners (combined with Vault), is a much better tool.

Eh, I just mean in the sense of finding out which are the big deal firms, etc. I hadn't heard of skadden before I started this.

stricly bricly

• berkeley 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »
Eh.  It stills seems like asking whether you can break Vault10 is silly when they all pay the same amount plus/minus bonus.  Lawyers, surprisingly enough, love these rankings.  I'm still surprised that the legal profession -- widely considered a literary profession by layman -- has so many of them.

you and i know very different laymen.

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2008, 01:13:37 PM »
It's good to use, but in many ways it is similar to law school rankings.  There is not much difference probably outside the V10 (arguably V5).  Chambers and partners (combined with Vault), is a much better tool.

Is "Chambers and Partners" the title of something? Sorry...

stricly bricly

• berkeley 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2008, 01:13:45 PM »
that is true.  i forget sometimes that not everyone was raised in a cynical ditch of iniquity.

My home state still seems to give its lawyers 1950s-esque prestige.

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2008, 01:13:56 PM »
Fixt.
Eh.  It stills seems like asking whether you can break Vault10 is silly when they all pay the same amount plus/minus bonus.  Lawyers Law students, surprisingly enough, love these rankings.  I'm still surprised that the legal profession -- widely considered a literary profession by layman -- has so many of them.

you and i know very different laymen.

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2008, 01:14:58 PM »
http://www.chambersandpartners.com/

Is "Chambers and Partners" the title of something? Sorry...

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2008, 01:16:56 PM »
Eh.  It stills seems like asking whether you can break Vault10 is silly when they all pay the same amount plus/minus bonus.  I'm still surprised that the legal profession -- widely considered a literary profession by layman -- has so many rankings.

I totally agree with you Wallace; what's the point if they are all paying you the same.
But this profession is all about prestige, so this obsession with providing rankings seems inevitable

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2008, 01:19:21 PM »
I agree to a limited extent.  Overall vault ranking is not as important as practice group rating.  But to say they all pay the same is not a good argument.  The work you will do and your exit options depend on where you practice.

Eh.  It stills seems like asking whether you can break Vault10 is silly when they all pay the same amount plus/minus bonus.  I'm still surprised that the legal profession -- widely considered a literary profession by layman -- has so many rankings.

I totally agree with you Wallace; what's the point if they are all paying you the same.
But this profession is all about prestige, so this obsession with providing rankings seems inevitable

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2008, 01:22:40 PM »
I'm loving www.chambersandpartners.com Grouping by "bands" instead of ranking - we really need to see this in the USNWR.