Northwestern
14 (4.2%)
GULC
50 (14.8%)

Total Members Voted: 335

Most overrated T14?

Re: Most overrated T14?
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2008, 12:43:43 PM »
No one has this information.  The sample sizes are way too small and self-selection plays a major role.  Even if you can show Chicago places more clerks, Columbia students are generally considered to be much more interested in large firm work.

Why do you all think Chicago has an advantage for clerkships over Columbia?  Is it purely on % placed?  Do you have any evidence regarding people of similar class placement who could get a certain clerkship from Chicago but not from Columbia?

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2008, 12:47:59 PM »
Hey Wallace, do you have a link to Leiter's rankings?  I've only seen his Supreme Court clerkship one.

Why do you all think Chicago has an advantage for clerkships over Columbia?  Is it purely on % placed?  Do you have any evidence regarding people of similar class placement who could get a certain clerkship from Chicago but not from Columbia?

It's per capita.  Leiter's rankings would indicate that, since Chicago has a much smaller class and tighter rep with a lot of judges (a lot of faculty are in on that racket), it appears that a higher percentage of Chicago grads can get plum clerking positions.

Conversely, Columbia has made a recent effort to increase the clerkships, but they're still not up to Chicago's level, I think.

(Feel free to prove me wrong.)

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2008, 12:48:32 PM »

didn't you say last cycle that you thought the chicago thing was partially due to self-selection?

I mean, I think that's a big reason.  I was wondering whether anyone else had any ideas. 

Almost everyone I talked to at Chicago was like, clerkship clerkship clerkship, while at CLS it seems to be more Vault Vault Vault; clerkship? huh? 

stricly bricly

• berkeley 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2008, 12:50:01 PM »
*cracks knuckles*

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2008, 12:53:25 PM »
http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/index.shtml

I think that, self-selection or not, it's probably a better idea to go a school with a hard-on rep for PI or clerking or BigLaw.

Please clarify.

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2008, 12:54:57 PM »
The only clerkship info I see in Supreme Court.  I wouldn't judge anything off of this.  Not only would a student have to choose to do an appellate clerkship first, they would have to also have to want to clerk for a second year.  Further, they would have to choose to clerk for one of the feeder judges, which may not be in an area you are interested in.  Only 3 of the top 20 feeder judges are in New York.

http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/index.shtml

I think that, self-selection or not, it's probably a better idea to go a school with a hard-on rep for PI or clerking or BigLaw.

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2008, 12:58:15 PM »

vault is a pile of crap in my honest opinion.  :D

Yeah, but people seem to pay attention to it.   :-\

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2008, 01:03:43 PM »
I do. Should I stop?

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2008, 01:05:51 PM »
Yes, they are in many cases stupid to use.  If you are interested in litigation it would make no sense to pick a higher rated vault firm with a weak litigation group over a lower rated firm with a superstar litigation group.

I do. Should I stop?

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2008, 01:08:10 PM »
The point of vault is to make money, much like USNews.

What's the point of Vault?  It seems odd to rank schools, much less firms.