Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Right from the BEGINNING!  (Read 764 times)

Starting Out

• View Profile
    • Email
Right from the BEGINNING!
« on: January 19, 2008, 06:01:24 PM »
Hi, guys!

I feel so disoriented and overwhelmed, having read a few of the posts here already.  I just finished my undergrad degree, and have decided to work my butt off towards and through Law School.  Only thing is - i have NO idea where to start!!!  Everyone in my family went down the Commerce & Finance route, and I got my bachelor's degree in Media Studies & Fine Arts, so no hanging around law-school-minded people there!  PLEASE - can someone help me with basic info/procedures/structures/aids and all?

I checked up on LSATS.  I'm aiming t write them in June.  I researched study aids online and at the book store and that's where the "overwhelmed" part comes in - every book offers one great thing over another!  I ended up purchasing the Barron's LSAT review guide, cuz it had the most practice test, but the Kaplan books looked really helpful too!  How many of you just bought the tests off the LSAC website and nothing else?  Arent most of the tests old?  I'm thinking the testing strategies and types of questions would've changed over the years...?

So yeah, before I ramble off any more - please help.  Any words of advice and guidance will be GREATLY appreciated.  Which of you are loving your schools?  What scores did you have to get in?  Let me know!

And - thanks in advance!  :)

Kevin.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Right from the BEGINNING!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 06:22:13 PM »
Hey there,

You've got a lot of questions!  The very first thing I'd do if I were you is take a full-length timed practice test to (a) familiarize yourself with the material, and (b) give yourself a baseline from which to start.  I'd suggest maybe taking the June 2007 exam, which can be downloaded for free from the LSAC website.

As far as purchasing old LSATs from the LSAC, the most recent ones are from quite a short time ago (PrepTest 51, the most recent one release, is December 2006), so they should be extremely relevant to the June 2008 test you're planning on taking.  The books you've got should help you in terms of strategy to help you answer certain question types better and better approach logic games, etc., but you should definitely expose yourself to as many recent full-length practice tests as you can.

In terms of finding out how competitive you'll be for law schools, I'd recommend a trip over to lawschoolnumbers.com.  LSN tracks applicants to law schools from previous cycles, and you can actually find graphs comparing LSAT and GPA for every school, to see where you'd need to fall in terms of the LSAT to be competitive.  The lower your undergraduate GPA, the higher LSAT score you'll need to be competitive at the best schools.

Any other specific questions be sure to ask, somebody on here definitely knows the answer!

Random question: Are you from Canada?  You sound like you might be.
Vandy Law 2011

Bizarro Jerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 06:40:27 PM »
Pick up a used copy of "Law School Confidential" on Amazon or your favorite book store.  Invaluable as a way of understanding the process of applying, etc...

sunglee

• Dash your curry like you not in a hurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 08:10:12 PM »
why do I get the feeling this person is working for powerscore
no-body expects the Spanish inquisition

Gordon_Gekko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 09:03:45 PM »
why do I get the feeling this person is working for powerscore

Who is working for Powerscore!?!? BURN THEM!

haha

On a serious note, I would like to add to Jeffort's post on what study material to buy.

Powerscore 2004 LSAT Deconstructed, and Powerscore LG Ultimate Setup.

Some sort of countdown timer (powerscore sells one), and an analog watch (you can only have an analog watch for the test). 

I would use the countdown timer as the official timer on practice test, and use your analog watch to determine where you are time wise.
"the illusion, has become real, and the more real it becomes, the more desperate they want itócapitalism at its finest."

Starting Out

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 12:24:08 PM »
*takes a break from smacking her head!!!*

thankyou SO MUCH for all your help!  i'm going to go return that cursed Barron's guide, and order the official preptests and previous LSATs from the LSAC site.  the rest of the material, i'm going to look through online and decide...man...*!@#$%^&!  i have a feeling i'm going to become a maniac too...*sigh*

yes, Kevin - I'm from Canada...it's so funny you were able to pick it out.  what made you say that?  :P

Gordon_Gekko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 01:01:52 PM »

thankyou SO MUCH for all your help!  i'm going to go return that cursed Barron's guide, and order the official preptests and previous LSATs from the LSAC site.  the rest of the material, i'm going to look through online and decide...man...*!@#$%^&!  i have a feeling i'm going to become a maniac too...*sigh*

yes, Kevin - I'm from Canada...it's so funny you were able to pick it out.  what made you say that?  :P

I would guess the reason is because you used 'commerce' I don't hear that word used much in the states.  haha
"the illusion, has become real, and the more real it becomes, the more desperate they want itócapitalism at its finest."

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 02:18:26 PM »

I would think it was when you said you were going to "write" the test.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

The Stranger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 03:07:00 PM »
Hi, guys!

I feel so disoriented and overwhelmed, having read a few of the posts here already.  I just finished my undergrad degree, and have decided to work my butt off towards and through Law School.  Only thing is - i have NO idea where to start!!!  Everyone in my family went down the Commerce & Finance route, and I got my bachelor's degree in Media Studies & Fine Arts, so no hanging around law-school-minded people there!  PLEASE - can someone help me with basic info/procedures/structures/aids and all?

I checked up on LSATS.  I'm aiming t write them in June.  I researched study aids online and at the book store and that's where the "overwhelmed" part comes in - every book offers one great thing over another!  I ended up purchasing the Barron's LSAT review guide, cuz it had the most practice test, but the Kaplan books looked really helpful too!  How many of you just bought the tests off the LSAC website and nothing else?  Arent most of the tests old?  I'm thinking the testing strategies and types of questions would've changed over the years...?

So yeah, before I ramble off any more - please help.  Any words of advice and guidance will be GREATLY appreciated.  Which of you are loving your schools?  What scores did you have to get in?  Let me know!

And - thanks in advance!  :)
Yes, the test has changed over the years but do not assume that the old tests are not worth looking at. There are only so many tricks that the LSAT author can use so the old tests are still great for practice.

Kevin.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 04:23:06 PM »
It was writing the test that gave it away - Americans never write tests, we take tests, and Canadians never take tests, they write tests!
Vandy Law 2011