Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Big-City T14 Schools just Regional Schools in Disguise?  (Read 799 times)

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Big-City T14 Schools just Regional Schools in Disguise?
« on: January 19, 2008, 11:54:40 AM »
Ok, so here's a new theory I'm working on, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'm not really sure where I want to be after school for practice and so forth. I know this is a decision that I have to make soon, but I'm not sure I can make it before I pick a school. I made the subject a bit more abrupt than what I'm really saying, but it strikes me that some of the big T14 schools in top 4 legal markets send the majority of their graduates to that city. For example, it's my impression that most NYU and Columbia grads stay in NYC, most Chicago and Northwestern grads stay in chicago, and most georgetown grads stay in DC. While any school near a big legal market is going to send a lot of people there, it strikes me that someone who isn't sure where they want to practice may be better off going to one of the T14 schools that isn't in a major market, ie Duke, Michigan, UVA. It seems that those schools have a more loyal that normal alumni base, and are likely to have a group in any major city, as well as some other big towns. So wouldn't an applicant that wasn't sure where they were going to be benefit from chosing one of those schools and keeping their options open?

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Big-City T14 Schools just Regional Schools in Disguise?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 12:14:55 PM »
Your impressions are wrong.  Columbia places better than UVa, Mich, and Duke nationwide - etc.  Take a better look at where GULC and NU students end up...

That said, if you know you want BIGLAW Chicago, it would probably be a mistake to pick Columbia over Chi...

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 10:20:40 PM »
Self-selection.  People at those schools generally choose to stay in their area.  Duke and Mich grads are more likely to move around because they aren't in a major market.
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 10:25:30 PM »
Your impressions are wrong.  Columbia places better than UVa, Mich, and Duke nationwide - etc.  Take a better look at where GULC and NU students end up...

That said, if you know you want BIGLAW Chicago, it would probably be a mistake to pick Columbia over Chi...

i disagree--mainly because the fact that most CLS students want to stay in NY, the few that don't want to may have a minuscule edge.  we all know how firms like school diversity--and coming from CLS may help you stand out in the sea of Chi and NU applicants.
Columbia 3L

LifesaBitch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 10:40:07 PM »
Self-selection.  People at those schools generally choose to stay in their area.  Duke and Mich grads are more likely to move around because they aren't in a major market.

Exactly!  The difference between T14 and regional schools are the T14 graduates can leave IF they choose to.
Northwestern - Class of 2011!

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 11:12:28 PM »

This was sort of my original point, that because of that self-selection, those schools would be less likely to have strong networks out of their region. However, the columbia people are making me wonder if I'm wrong...

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 11:15:31 PM »

This was sort of my original point, that because of self-selection, people not wanting to stay in the region were at a disadvantage, since the majority of their class would. However, the columbia people seem to disagree...

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 02:45:23 PM »
FYI, in terms of percentage, only about 30-45% of UChicago students stay in the "Midwest" (which may not all be the city of Chicago).

I'm sure there are more detailed stats somewhere, but I think my plane is about to board, so I just grabbed this from the Career Services website for UChicago:

In what geographical locations do University of Chicago graduates accept employment?

* 30-45% Midwest
    * 18-22% Northeast
    * 16-18% Mid Atlantic
    * 14-20% West
    * 3-4% New England
    * 2-3% Mountain
    * 1-2% Foreign Countries

That seems more than "national" than "regional" to me.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 02:47:56 PM »
Thanks for the stats, I started looking at stats for various schools too and realized I was probably off-base.

doibhilin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 04:38:56 PM »
Duke Class of 2006:
NYC: 51
DC: 36
NC: 24
CA: 14
TX: 12
GA: 10
FL: 8
MA: 8

I think it might make OCI more beneficial, as you're not competing with many classmates for the same jobs. But I the self-selection element is strong with a lot of the T14.