Law School Discussion

« on: January 18, 2008, 04:12:06 PM »

UFBoldAsLove

• Go Gators.
    • View Profile
Re: GW or Vanderbilt?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 04:31:50 PM »
Okay ASSUMING money equal --> Vandy. (1) Nashville is an AMAZING city, I love it there. (2) COL is great (3) Flawless rep in the south, with national reach if you are a good student. (4) NOT the 2nd best law school in a 2 mile radius!

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 07:20:26 PM »
GW, because it is located in a city.  GW also places well on the east coast, which, in my opinion, is a great legal market.  GW is also very competitive in DC, the toughest market to get into.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 07:33:05 PM »
GW, because it is located in a city.  GW also places well on the east coast, which, in my opinion, is a great legal market.  GW is also very competitive in DC, the toughest market to get into.

Nashville isn't a city?

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 08:21:39 PM »
Vandy...because of I hear all the girls wear tight fitting "Vandy pants"....and it is guaranteed to be a top 20 school for a long time.

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 11:38:59 PM »

Nashville isn't a city?

No, it's not, at least not in my eyes.

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 03:57:14 AM »
I would choose Vandy. 

GW
pros: In DC if you like big-city life, good DC placement, decent placement elsewhere on the east coast
cons: 2nd best DC school and GMU is trying hard to take that title, DC is tough to live on student dollars, reputation for being a bit cut-throat

Vandy
pros: In Nashville if you like the mid-sized city life, way better cost of living than DC, reputation for having a laid-back atmosphere, places excellently anywhere in the southeast/DC/Chicago, very steady ranking (higher than GW)
cons: get used to two types of music: country and western (to mangle the old joke).  Really, it isn't that bad, country music is pervasive but there is a good mix of other types if you look for it

For me it comes down to quality of life as either school will place me in the job I want somewhere in the east.  Nashville takes it over DC.  But don't forget UVa!  I'm not going there because I already spent many years there, but C-ville's a good place to land for a few years and only 2 hours from DC.

bloomlaw

• Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 02:02:55 PM »

Nashville isn't a city?

Nashville fell short of that prestigious 580,000 cutoff, huh? LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 08:46:26 AM »

Nashville isn't a city?

Nashville fell short of that prestigious 580,000 cutoff, huh? LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

Those numbers mean little.  Look at the metro area numbers instead; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_metropolitan_areas

Nashville area (#39): 1.455 million
DC area (#8): 5.290 million

DC doesn't actually feel as dense as some of the smaller cities.  No skyscrapers in DC (zoning), so DC had to grow out rather than up.  I live in Seattle now, and the Seattle metro area (3.2 million) feels much bigger to me just due to population density.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 07:32:12 PM »
I would pick Vandy because I want to practice in the South, though I would probably pick Vandy even if I wanted to practice up North because I think they have a better reputation.