Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to go from a 147 to a 169  (Read 16086 times)

hotdogs

• View Profile
Re: How to go from a 147 to a 169
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2008, 12:34:00 AM »
7. Pray a lot before the testů :)

Good luck and God bless.

Ha ha, nice one!

kj311

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2008, 12:57:55 PM »
tag
haha, i get it...wait, what?

Kels

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2008, 07:06:20 PM »
For what it's worth I don't think ones LSAT score is necessarily a good indicator of how well they can teach the LSAT. Some of the best coaches in sports are not that good as players. You don't have to be ABLE to do something to know HOW to do something. I would go as far to say that people who get a really high LSAT score without studying would be worse teachers b/c when you have that natural ability 'it just clicks' and many times its hard to explain HOW it just clicks.  I would say the best teachers would be those with the highest point increases b/c they would be more likely know how to explain the processes and strategies b/c they learned it themselves and didn't get it naturally. But thats just what makes sense to me. 

*devo*

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2008, 03:55:09 PM »
For what it's worth I don't think ones LSAT score is necessarily a good indicator of how well they can teach the LSAT. Some of the best coaches in sports are not that good as players. You don't have to be ABLE to do something to know HOW to do something. I would go as far to say that people who get a really high LSAT score without studying would be worse teachers b/c when you have that natural ability 'it just clicks' and many times its hard to explain HOW it just clicks.  I would say the best teachers would be those with the highest point increases b/c they would be more likely know how to explain the processes and strategies b/c they learned it themselves and didn't get it naturally. But thats just what makes sense to me. 

Great point.  LSAT instructors definitely need high scores, but their improvement and understanding of the material needs to be there. Sometimes I feel more adequate at explaining difficult LSAT concepts than my friends who scored higher simply because I had to work so hard to understand the reasoning behind them.

Mori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2008, 06:08:34 PM »
bumpity bump
LSN

"Congrats - you'll be the feminine hygiene product non trad gunner who everyone hates" -
Lollypotter

philosopher

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2008, 03:39:20 PM »
I really needed this, thanks :)
"People pay for what they do, and still more for what they have allowed themselves to become; and they pay for it very simply: by the lives they lead."
--James Baldwin

Sappho

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2008, 09:45:23 PM »
Wish I found this advice column before the June exam.  I may have done better. 

Funny story really.  When I took the exam, I felt FINE.  I thought I did well, or definately around the low 160s.  NOT even close.  I think partially my nerves got to me, and in the end, I was not as prepared as I told myself.

I will definitely take these suggestions in consideration as I prepare for the LSAT again (February 2009, here I come!).
Law School 2011.
Took the LSAT twice.  Scored higher (thankfully) with the second test.
Special thank you to http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/ for the LSAT study guides.
Good luck with applications everyone!

LessThanLiz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2008, 02:38:01 AM »
Man, I wish I could devote eight hours a day to studying. It would sure beat devoting those eight hours to an actual job (no joke.)

I've performed well on my practice tests so far (taking it on October 4th - have been studying consistently since may and on and off prior to that), but I certainly hope I'm not at a terrible disadvantage because I couldn't devote every waking hour to preparation.

This isn't a criticism of your advice. I'm simply wondering if anyone else was in a similar position and still managed to perform well (let's say, 165+)?

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2008, 03:20:19 AM »
Man, I wish I could devote eight hours a day to studying. It would sure beat devoting those eight hours to an actual job (no joke.)

I've performed well on my practice tests so far (taking it on October 4th - have been studying consistently since may and on and off prior to that), but I certainly hope I'm not at a terrible disadvantage because I couldn't devote every waking hour to preparation.

This isn't a criticism of your advice. I'm simply wondering if anyone else was in a similar position and still managed to perform well (let's say, 165+)?

You don't need to prep 8 hours a day, and you don't need to prep every day.  3 days a week is fine for most months leading up to the test.

That said, you should generally step it up in the month before the exam, prep most days, and be willing to put in some long hours during that period.  Then wind it down the last few days before the actual test.

LessThanLiz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2008, 08:59:42 PM »
Thanks. Though, one last question, is it normal to do progressively better and then suddenly have a few bad tests? My practice tests went from 151, 157, 159, 161, 165, 165, 166, 167, 167, 168, 171 to 159 (this past Saturday) and 157 (today.) Like, literally on the nose went backwards. I'm fairly certain it's a mental block but I is it common to have a little pre-fog? How did folks get out of it?