Re: How to go from a 147 to a 169
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2008, 10:57:55 AM »
tag

Kels

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2008, 05:06:20 PM »
For what it's worth I don't think ones LSAT score is necessarily a good indicator of how well they can teach the LSAT. Some of the best coaches in sports are not that good as players. You don't have to be ABLE to do something to know HOW to do something. I would go as far to say that people who get a really high LSAT score without studying would be worse teachers b/c when you have that natural ability 'it just clicks' and many times its hard to explain HOW it just clicks.  I would say the best teachers would be those with the highest point increases b/c they would be more likely know how to explain the processes and strategies b/c they learned it themselves and didn't get it naturally. But thats just what makes sense to me. 

*devo*

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2008, 01:55:09 PM »
For what it's worth I don't think ones LSAT score is necessarily a good indicator of how well they can teach the LSAT. Some of the best coaches in sports are not that good as players. You don't have to be ABLE to do something to know HOW to do something. I would go as far to say that people who get a really high LSAT score without studying would be worse teachers b/c when you have that natural ability 'it just clicks' and many times its hard to explain HOW it just clicks.  I would say the best teachers would be those with the highest point increases b/c they would be more likely know how to explain the processes and strategies b/c they learned it themselves and didn't get it naturally. But thats just what makes sense to me. 

Great point.  LSAT instructors definitely need high scores, but their improvement and understanding of the material needs to be there. Sometimes I feel more adequate at explaining difficult LSAT concepts than my friends who scored higher simply because I had to work so hard to understand the reasoning behind them.

Mori

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2008, 04:08:34 PM »
bumpity bump

« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2008, 01:39:20 PM »
I really needed this, thanks :)

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2008, 07:45:23 PM »
Wish I found this advice column before the June exam.  I may have done better. 

Funny story really.  When I took the exam, I felt FINE.  I thought I did well, or definately around the low 160s.  NOT even close.  I think partially my nerves got to me, and in the end, I was not as prepared as I told myself.

I will definitely take these suggestions in consideration as I prepare for the LSAT again (February 2009, here I come!).

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2008, 12:38:01 AM »
Man, I wish I could devote eight hours a day to studying. It would sure beat devoting those eight hours to an actual job (no joke.)

I've performed well on my practice tests so far (taking it on October 4th - have been studying consistently since may and on and off prior to that), but I certainly hope I'm not at a terrible disadvantage because I couldn't devote every waking hour to preparation.

This isn't a criticism of your advice. I'm simply wondering if anyone else was in a similar position and still managed to perform well (let's say, 165+)?

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2008, 06:59:42 PM »
Thanks. Though, one last question, is it normal to do progressively better and then suddenly have a few bad tests? My practice tests went from 151, 157, 159, 161, 165, 165, 166, 167, 167, 168, 171 to 159 (this past Saturday) and 157 (today.) Like, literally on the nose went backwards. I'm fairly certain it's a mental block but I is it common to have a little pre-fog? How did folks get out of it?

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2008, 08:19:09 PM »
Thanks. Though, one last question, is it normal to do progressively better and then suddenly have a few bad tests? My practice tests went from 151, 157, 159, 161, 165, 165, 166, 167, 167, 168, 171 to 159 (this past Saturday) and 157 (today.) Like, literally on the nose went backwards. I'm fairly certain it's a mental block but I is it common to have a little pre-fog? How did folks get out of it?

I can assure you that you aren't the only one. I've been PTing consistently in the 170+ range (the past 6 or so tests I would say), with strong LR and LG performance particularily... until today. I scored perfectly on RC (PrepTest 52), did better than usual on games, but bombed LR and ended with a 158. Virtually every question I answered incorrectly on LR I narrowed to two answer choices, and picked the wrong answer choice of the two remaining.

Some reasons: I didnt eat lunch, I didn't sleep well the night before, and frankly I didn't take LR as seriously as I should have.

There are probably multiple factors, but you're bound to have a bad PT occasionally. I'm going to rely on my usual superfocus when the real test day comes, but until then, I'll probably mix up my strategy. Don't disparage, but I would suggest you do the same.