Law School Discussion

How to go from a 147 to a 169

chucky

• The bright side of our future biglaw slavery=420hp
    • View Profile
Re: How to go from a 147 to a 169
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 04:55:29 PM »
Well, I thought I better come back to this site and give the final outcome of what happened to me by following this study path...My hope is that this will encourage you will your Lsat hopes.

I was given a 66K scholarship from UT in Austin and will be attending there this fall. Being accepted to UT was my BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal) two years ago. I really didn't want to go anywhere else. Getting a scholarship from UT was beyond anything I could have ever imagined at the beginning (especially after getting a 147 on my first diagnostic!)

So don't get discouraged no matter where you are at. Don't settle. You can break the Lsat barrier you are looking for. Right now I'm like a little kid waiting for Christmas as August 25th approaches. You will be too...just don't give up.

God bless :)

meggo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 05:15:52 PM »
So glad to hear your positive story Chucky and all the advice in this thread which I think I will probably come back to if I rewrite in Oct (a likely possibility). When I did my first diagnostic I was really disheartened, especially when you read stuff online that says, people can improve their scores 10 - 15 points MAX. That is clearly untrue, as the advice in this thread points out and people like EarlCat have said, it's a test that takes practice. The more you practice, the more diligently you work, the better you get. I'm sure this thread will help others

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 06:10:29 PM »
This post is for those of you, who are depressed right now about your prep test scores,

I know many people on this board are gunners who land in the upper 160's or 170's the first time they take a prep test, but for those of you who are more like me (first diagnostic = 147) here are some pointers that may actually help.

WOAH...my initial diagnostic was also 147. I was practicing in the 170-172 range during the weeks coming up to the test. I understand how much hard work you must have done to get the 169 on the real thing. Congratulations on all your success, you are an inspiration. I hope my June LSAT is reflective of my hard work as well...though I feel like I may have scored below my practice tests. If you don't mind me asking, how were you practicing the weeks before the test?

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 10:44:04 PM »
Hi Chucky,

Nice post. I am a graduate student at SMU who wants to become a patent attorney. Last year, I took the LSAT w/o studying and got a 147. After I took some  practice tests and reviewed the Kaplan materials, I obtained a 157. Still I find the my LSAT scores are problematic. Now I am serious considering a full prep course either with TM or PS after careful review.

After talking reps from both companies, I am still undecided. Since you familiar with the local classes for both these companies in the Dallas area, what are your thoughts about Jeremy at PS? Why do you feel that he is effective? Does he allow ample time during class for specific student questions or problems?

I feel that constant practice on LSAC released questions is the key to a better score. I like both approaches by TM and PS. PS has a better approach for the Games. How many of the LSAC released tests has PS prepared solutions? How will PS fulfill my expectations for LSAT prep class? 

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 11:16:45 AM »
The TestMasters guy who is teaching in Dallas got a 180 on the real thing and is only 18 years old. Nobody can question TM's talent pool.

I'd rather someone who went from a 147 to a 169 teaching me than someone who goes from a 175 to a 180. Sometimes when you just get the LSAT, it's hard to teach b/c you can't understand why other people cannot understand this stuff.

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 03:31:44 PM »
tagged for future reference- great info ;)

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2008, 11:17:20 PM »
i got a 148 on the lsac sample lsat and i bombed the logic games section and the last sec which i dont know what its called
(is the reasoning?)

i already ordered my LG bible and im taking the powerscore prep test in August, so hopefully that will help

my question is where do i get all these prep tests that u guys are talking about?

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 11:23:19 PM »
and are they good? cause i saw powerscore has some but i guess my question is:
are the prep tests like the books, Kaplan and Princeton Review have bad books, but Powerscore have good one. So is this the same for prep tests?

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 11:28:38 PM »
oh ok thanks for clearing that up ;)

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 11:29:03 PM »
Buy the three 10 Real LSAT Books (best bang for your buck) and as many of the recent (45-53) tests as you can afford. 

Fair warning: LSAC ships really slowly.  It's not a big deal if you're prepping for October, but you might be happier ordering Preptests from Powerscore or Amazon. (I bought a few last-minute Preptests from PS and was impressed by their turnaround time.)

Good luck!