Law School Discussion

How to go from a 147 to a 169

Re: How to go from a 147 to a 169
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2008, 10:35:29 PM »
so which one of the 10 actual prep tests should i buy?

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2008, 11:04:54 PM »
i know but im strapped for cash right now so i can only afford 1 10 pack and 1 of the recent ones

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2008, 11:09:34 PM »
well thats sort of why im broke, cause ive been saving up for the prep course and all the fees for the lsat, lsac and applications.

but ill prob more next week

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2008, 11:22:15 PM »
The most recent 10-pack is "The Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests", which contains tests 29-38. That would be the best place to start. 

SCK is correct - you should save all the money you can to buy the other two books in the next few months.  Increasing your LSAT by a few points can mean tens of thousands of dollars in scholarship money. Don't shortchange yourself. :)  Good luck!

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2008, 11:26:05 PM »
the only book ive bought is the lg bible cause i really needed it, but as for the other bible im going to wait on it cause im taking the powerscore prep course and they should provide me with those books right?

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2008, 11:31:07 PM »
the only book ive bought is the lg bible cause i really needed it, but as for the other bible im going to wait on it cause im taking the powerscore prep course and they should provide me with those books right?

I totally missed that you were taking a course.  Whoops.

In that case, maybe you should hold off until the first class.  Ask the instructor which tests will be made available as part of the course materials.  That should give you a better idea of what you should purchase separately (if anything - some courses include access to all the tests.) 

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2008, 12:57:23 PM »

I totally missed that you were taking a course.  Whoops.

In that case, maybe you should hold off until the first class.  Ask the instructor which tests will be made available as part of the course materials.  That should give you a better idea of what you should purchase separately (if anything - some courses include access to all the tests.) 

thats ok, so thank god i only bought some of the prep tests instead of all of them huh?

HYS in your future if you can find a parking place and pay for the parking permit for an afternoon.

sorry but what is HYS?  :-[

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2008, 12:59:28 PM »
Yeah, I'm sorry about that.   :(  I should really try not to give advice after 2 AM. 

HYS=Harvard, Yale, Stanford - the top three schools. 

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2008, 01:07:42 PM »

HYS=Harvard, Yale, Stanford - the top three schools. 

yeah right  ::)

All i want is to get into Hastings, and thats going to be a challenge in itself

chucky

• The bright side of our future biglaw slavery=420hp
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2008, 08:34:16 PM »
Hi Chucky,

Nice post. I am a graduate student at SMU who wants to become a patent attorney. Last year, I took the LSAT w/o studying and got a 147. After I took some  practice tests and reviewed the Kaplan materials, I obtained a 157. Still I find the my LSAT scores are problematic. Now I am serious considering a full prep course either with TM or PS after careful review.

After talking reps from both companies, I am still undecided. Since you familiar with the local classes for both these companies in the Dallas area, what are your thoughts about Jeremy at PS? Why do you feel that he is effective? Does he allow ample time during class for specific student questions or problems?

I feel that constant practice on LSAC released questions is the key to a better score. I like both approaches by TM and PS. PS has a better approach for the Games. How many of the LSAC released tests has PS prepared solutions? How will PS fulfill my expectations for LSAT prep class? 

Well, in answer to your questions about Jeremy…all I have to say is he is the best! Obviously he is brilliant being that he got a 177, but FAR MORE importantly to someone like me (starting at a 147) is that his strength is in his ability to instruct. TM may have a kid who hit 180, but can he teach? Jeremy has been an Lsat teacher for 15-20yrs (he told us exactly how many years but I forget). For me, his instruction was more helpful than I can express in a post (so if I sound like a raving fan…that is why).

And for those who are still deciding on whether or not to take a course…hears another part to my story you might consider. I’m not from Dallas (I’m actually from the other side of the continent), but I have relatives there. During my investigation (after I decided on PScore based on the books as I stated in the original post) I talked to one of the girls at the PScore office. She mentioned that Jeremy was one of the best teachers PScore has (she said that Jeremy and the owner were probably the two best...or something like that...the conversation was a long time ago). So I decided to fly down and spend the summer in Dallas with my relatives so that I could be in his class. The cost was substantial, but the end result was worth it...

...So why am I writing all this? Simply to tell you this...Now that you’ve spent all the time and money to get to where you are at, don’t justify a mediocre effort in your prep because you are saving a few dollars in the process. Your Lsat score is arguably the most important factor in determining which school you’ll be at next year. Do you best, and know that you’ve done your best. If that means you need to take a course to ensure that…then take one. Then, no matter what your final score is, you can be proud of yourself and go forward without any nagging doubts of what might have been.