Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does Work Experience Matter?  (Read 923 times)

DS8

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Does Work Experience Matter?
« on: January 18, 2008, 04:47:38 PM »
After undergrad, I worked in a very prestigious internship and am currently working at a paralegal in one of the top firms. Will this matter at all to an admissions committee or will they judge purely based on numbers?

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
Re: Does Work Experience Matter?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 04:50:03 PM »
After undergrad, I worked in a very prestigious internship and am currently working at a paralegal in one of the top firms. Will this matter at all to an admissions committee or will they judge purely based on numbers?

Mostly numbers.  Unless you have been out of school for a while, like 5+ years, AdComs see these little forays into the real world as cute resume padding.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 04:51:07 PM »
The jobs you listed will not matter much at all.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 11:50:58 PM »
The fact that you worked at all may help a bit. It also might distance you from a sub-par GPA. Overall, the fact that it was a law firm won't be particularly important above and beyond the fact that it was a part-time job to begin with. In fact, I would even avoid talking about it much personally, as law schools tend to look for something "special" that sets you apart from the crowd. That's just me, though. I'm not on an admissions committee myself so take my advice w/ a grain of salt.
_______
.|E|R|S.

namehasbeenchanged

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 05:34:22 PM »
Will starting and owning a business help (my gpa is below 25% and lsat is above 75%)  thanks!

namehasbeenchanged

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 05:55:48 PM »
I suppose I should also note that it was a bar/music venue that I "built" from scratch ( I did write about this experience in my P.S.)  I recently sold it after a year and a half of ownership and am currently working in commercial real estate.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 06:03:19 PM »
Will starting and owning a business help (my gpa is below 25% and lsat is above 75%)  thanks!

I did this.  It didn't appear to help very much.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 06:43:56 PM »
Will lots of time spent working help? I spent 13 years in another career before finishing up  my last two years of undergrad. I worked one full time job and one part time job during the "finishing" process. Sorry to take this thread in a slightly different direction, but I am kinda counting on my work experience to ring some bells somewhere.

Any thoughts?

simonsays

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 07:44:27 PM »
it won't hurt..  any help is marginal

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 06:14:03 PM »

It might.  I did this, but it helped more with getting a scholarship than with acceptances.