Law School Discussion

« on: January 17, 2008, 10:03:29 PM »

Re: Georgetown or Cornell
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 10:09:28 PM »
visit.

when i visited ithaca, i knew i couldn't live there for three years, so that made the decision that much easier...

Quail!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 10:12:13 PM »
Visiting is definitely what you should do.  I decided I just didn't want to deal with a 500-person class, and a school that doesn't have a campus.  Those 2 things really did in GULC for me.

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 10:42:52 PM »
Visiting is definitely what you should do.  I decided I just didn't want to deal with a 500-person class, and a school that doesn't have a campus.  Those 2 things really did in GULC for me.

all totally valid points, obvy.

you've just gotta size up the environments and figure out where you'd be happiest.

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 10:43:27 PM »
incidentally amped, would you ever consider taking GW over GULC?  because i absolutely would, and i'm wondering if i'm alone in that.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 11:45:14 PM »

GULC doesn't have a campus? How does that work?

orangie

• GULC '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 12:10:58 AM »

I think he meant to say he didn't want to deal with a law school that has its own campus.   ;)

Quail!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 05:52:40 AM »

I think he meant to say he didn't want to deal with a law school that has its own campus.   ;)

Lol, I guess if you count that a campus... ;)

What I'm saying is that it's separated from the main university campus (which is not close or easily accessible), and is just this little oasis in the middle of a questionable (yet improving) area

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 06:05:19 AM »
incidentally amped, would you ever consider taking GW over GULC?  because i absolutely would, and i'm wondering if i'm alone in that.

probably not, because i doubt i'd get money at either one (there's an outside possibility at GW though). for me, the G-Town prestige would probably be the scale tipper. I'm a bit of prestige whore. granted, I'd like to visit both and who knows...maybe I'd hate GULC and totally choose GW. Why would you choose GW over GULC?

Money might be a factor, but I'm also open to the possibility that the environment at GULC will be a bit too sterile for me.  I like GULC a lot, but I get a warmer feeling from GW sometimes.  Of course, this could also just be my bitterness talking, since GULC rejected me for undergrad and in my first LS cycle :)

In any case, my eyes will be wide open at the ASW next week.  The prestige difference alone wouldn't necessarily be enough to tip the scales.  I don't believe in the T14 cutoff, and I don't know if that distinction gets any credibility in the legal world.

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 07:59:23 AM »
You may not believe in the t14 per se, but I think it's pretty common knowledge that you have more opportunities at the same rank at GULC than you do at GW...